1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. highlander3128

Just tell the guys who thought Lin has been the sole problem to this team. We really someone as knowledgable as you.

2. Exel

Exel Member

Agreed. Plus the PG discussions are really entertaining.

3. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

This team is having an identity crisis. It is like a bipolar with multiple personalities. When things got tough, our two so-called superstars just disappeared. Players didn't trust each other. The coach because panic himself and would try anything (except the right thing unfortunately) even if it doesn't make any sense (like last night the ultra-small lineup against Memphis's big lineup).

I hate to beat the dead horses again.

1). McHale is a slightly above average coach. When things got tough, his response is often erratic. Often times, I feel like he is throwing the entire kitchen sink on the wall to see whatever sticks. He himself doesn't trust the "system" if there is a one. How do you expect players response? He does't know how to draw up an inbound play when the team needs to score.

2). McHale ignored a basic rule of all sports "it aren't broke, don't fix it". I thought we can build on last season's chemistry simply by replacing Asik or the power forward with DH. You know what. That's not enough. On the top of that, let's also replace the starting PG, which totally changed the dynamics of the team and created unnecessary additional uncertainty. If you don't like Lin as a starter, that's fine. But at least give it a try for a few games at the beginning of the season to see how the team would respond and how DH'd play with Lin. Same happened when PB recovered 4 games ago. A normal coach'd ease PB back to the starting lineup. No. Let's start PB right away as if PB is 2nd coming of Jesus, the Rockets' Saver. Right now, I don't care who care who starts at PG as long as JH plays his natural position in SG.

4. yummyhawtsauce

the bench is a bit of a problem but it is a much bigger problem when mchale doesnt even let te bench play that many minutes. mchale does nto trust the bench. for example last night he pulled the bench off after 6 minutes of play to bring in the starters again. it seems every coaching decision is made with his gut feeling which most times i feel is not neccessiarly correct.

5. Clarinetmonster

Hear Ye, Hear Ye!! A 99er' has thus spoken the truth!

6. guanwangzhe

guanwangzhe Member

Right on the point! +1

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

So if the Rockets would have won then you would have never posted this...

Clutch gave you the numbers and others have stated about the eye test and I keep talking about the balance... The fact is out of the two Bev needs to start... This allows Lin to be himself coming off of the bench.

I would rather have a Lin that can be himself coming off the bench, then a Lin whose trying to find himself and trying to fit in by being a starter.

But I totally agree with DD and Stone Cold... The problems with the team are more than just the pg position.

T_Man

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Problem is neither Bev nor Lin are the answer at PG position. Bev is okay given he makes $400K but Lin at $ 8 million is totally unproductive for that type of contract and is playing at a bad bad level.

Rockets seriously need to look at getting away from this Lin experiment and using that money elsewhere.

9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Every post you make is clearly about Bev and i can't understand why?

Bev is not the sole reason they lost against the Grizz... Last I checked it was Rockets vs Grizz and not Bev or Lin vs Grizz... But all your anger is towards Bev.

If you go back and look at your post, when Bev was out and the Rockets would lose you would blame someone other than Liin... Lin doesn't win or lose by himself.. The Rockets as a whole win or lose.

T_Man

10. Clarinetmonster

I have a lot of respect for posters like this that can respond in an even handed and non attacking/accusatory way. Even if we don't always see eye to eye, things stay civil. Let us all take note.

11. Clarinetmonster

HAHA!! Sorry if that sounded preachy. :grin:

12. Entropy

Entropy Member

I see a flaw in this because when Lin comes off the bench for Bev, if Harden or Parsons are still in the game, they will be the ones who have the mandate to playmake, not him. It's rare when we don't have at least one of those two on the court at all times. This is what I've seen from the past 4 games. The only thing he does right now is sit in the corner and wait for a pass to shoot the 3 and it's destroyed whatever joy he has in the game. He's a team player and he's getting paid anyway, which is why he hasn't aired out his grievances and is doing his best to do what the staff wants.

Now if he truly did have the greenlight to do whatever he wanted in the game, it'd be a different story. But he really doesn't, and the team is not at it's best when this is his role.

Look at the recent games when Sampson was out and Lin was doing his thing. The rockets played beautifully all around. That came to a quick end when Sampson and Bev.

13. Entropy

Entropy Member

^ when Bev and Sampson came back.

14. RRockets

RRockets Member

Yeah, the numbers are clear!

15. Clarinetmonster

Yes sir- well said. I didn't want to keep pressing that point being a newbie for fear of...well, you know. But those couple games were a thing of beauty - we finally saw a marriage of the uptempo excitement and explosiveness from last year, with the sometimes dominant presence of an elite center. In an alternate universe, I would love to see bizarro Finch coaching this team simultaneously this season - just to see what that would look like down the stretch:)

16. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

Well said :)

17. figment

figment Member

Finding out the answer to this would be like discovering the Holy Grail, Philosopher's Stone, Fountain of Youth and Iraq's WMD all on the same day.

18. theangrycanary

Because Lin is going to get paid 15 million next year.

19. Clarinetmonster

Homeboy gettin' paaayeeed.

20. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

It doesn't really matter who starts at PG since Harden is the de facto PG. Bev is a better fit with the starters because he doesn't take as many shots away from the top 3 scoring options, Harden, Howard, and Parsons.

Genius Morey needs to find a way to trade Lin, Rockets are wasting money with his contract for his role.