1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

So before I read that crap of text you want to call a post, I read "The reason Lin is playing bad...", saw your red abomination of a color and predicted exactly how you would be full of whine.

[​IMG]

2. jonstarks

jonstarks Member

idk why u guys say Lin is struggling, he looked pretty great vs the Wizards and Celtics... but so much a guy can do when you only play 23-25 mins. He looked pretty good today 8 pts 5 ast in 25 mins. I guess if he's not avg 18pts on 40% from 3pt he must be failing?

In Mchale's system the PG doesn't hardly get any plays called for them... (Mchale admitted this to Reggie in today's broadcast)... the rotation today wasn't what is was earlier in the yr... Lin only played 21 mins + 3 mins of garbage time.

3. rocketblood713

I've heard Harden compliment Lin

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Did you watch Patrick Beverley play today? Or did you turn off the TV whenever Lin subbed out?

5. Kerdaboy

Kerdaboy Member

Think all 3 pgs add something positive to the team. They also all have some flaws. The problem on this forum, is too many people only see one way or the other.

Beverley so far for the season has been the best defender at the pg spot (Although he is no Seattle Gary Payton) his offense so far this season has really left a lot to be desired (he had one of best outings of the season tonight with 17 points).

Lin is easily the best drive and dish pg on the team. However, he really needs to get lessons from Harden on how to make the refs see the contact when he drives. I have only seen centers receive so much contact and get no calls. His north south speed is awesome but it seems his lateral movement is average for a pg which makes it hard from him to recover when he gets picked.

Brooks is probably the best 3 point shooting pg on the team, with Lin and Bev being essentially identical/average. His size makes him a liability on D in most match ups.

Of the three I think Lin has the tools to develop into the better player. The main problem with him is that he seems to get high and low way too often and you can see it body language. Really wish the coaches would let Lin tough it out some games. I think come playoff time when the defense clamps down and there are a lot more half court sets, Beverley is not going to get all the wide open three point attempts and another player that can put pressure on the defense and create their own shot will be huge for the rockets playoff chances (Beverley was pretty darn average and couldn't do much to stop Reggie Jackson in the playoffs last year).

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I like my boy AB, but Beverly is becoming my favorite guard on this team with his hustle play.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you watch the game or just watch the box scores?

I mean, Lin had plenty of times with the ball in his hands and honestly looked pretty awful at times. 4 turnovers in 22 minutes? How many times did he pick up his dribble? How many times did he not drive after taking the pick because he was scared of having to penetrate all the way to the rim or picking up his dribble?

Harden would jump in there and not worry about what happens. Lin definitely is playing tentatively out there.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good post.

9. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

lin didnt have much to work with. having brewer out there makes the game 4v5 offensively.

beverley is more consistent overall. less turnovers. less defensive lapses. his offense isn't all there, but it's covered up by parsons and harden. when lin has a good game, he can't match it. problem is lin doesn't have a good game every game.

all these guards seem meh, but i dont think you need more all stars at the guard position other than harden. it's more about the wings and bigs doing well.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

he hit a clutch 3 to end the 3rd quarter which was nice

beverley was the star of the show tho

11. rocketblood713

and that one floater

12. SeabrookMiglla

in high gear- lin is way better than bev

in mid gear- its about even, both of them have pros and cons.

in low gear- well its tough to say. but who do you think brings more hustle and defense on average whenever their shots arent falling? id prob take bev out of the two whenever they are both playing like crap.

and this is coming from someone who likes jeremy's all around game over pat.

just being real from my observations.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I thought I'd seen every possible Lin excuse but now we're at the level of blaming Ronnie Brewer. Lol. Wow...

1 person likes this.
  14. PositivityDome

Ronnie Brewer is literally one of the worst offensive players in the NBA. The airballed corner 3 was lol. Dude is a good soldier though, so there's that.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Lol...

16. jonstarks

jonstarks Member

:( yes I watched the entire game, most of Bev's scores were random, broken plays, loose rebounds, maybe 1 of his 11 shots looked like a set play. But you're really gonna take this 1 game and say the PG gets plenty of FGA's in this system?

enough w/ this, Harden & Howard avg more TOs then him and nobody cares... Harden also has the green light to shoot as much as he wants w/o fear of it cutting into his playing time... Imagine if Harden was repeated benched for a qtr if he missed 3 shots in a row...he'd be tentative too :)

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Harden is a star, so is Howard. That is why they get star treatment on offense. The offense is literally revolves around the 2 of them. Lin is not a star. He his an above-average starting PG at best. The offense will never go through Lin unless Harden is resting.

18. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Beverley had a good game, but the win over Portland had a lot more to do with hitting 18 or so 3s than anything Bev did (he did make his 3s). If Houston shot 33% from 3 they would've lost the game. I thought Lin got into the paint well, fed Howard, and got high percentage shots for guys like Casspi, D-Mo and Parsons and provided more sustainable offense against a good team after a hot shooting 1st quarter. To me, Lin had as big an impact on this game as beverley.By the next game or so, Lin will settle back into his 6th man role more comfortably and his 3pt % will go up (as it did tonight)

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Hahaha...

No chit, eventually players have to be held accountable for what they do on the court, instead of blaming the refs, the coach, etc... What's next, blaming grandma for not baking his favorite cookies? lol

20. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Lmao poor Ronnie.