1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 Google Nexus Devices

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 26, 2013.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

main reason for the update was to fix the denial-of-service sms vulnerability that got a lot of tech blog attention.

2. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

still stuck on 4.4. whats the deal with that?

3. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

According to the XDA forums, the Nexus 5's RAM when clearing out all running apps goes down to 500mb~ as oppose to 1GB on 4.4.

I have 4.4.1 SlimKat Beta installed and awaiting their weekly with the 4.4.2 update. I've noticed after the 4.4.1 update that the speaker was definitely louder especially with the touch sound noises be more prominent.

4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Yea, I'm still on 4.4 - how long does this usually take to get everyone on board?

5. OmegaSupreme

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Still no paranoid android?!? This phone sucks!

7. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Sorry to say, but I think the Nexus line is reaching the end of its usefullness. With launchers like Nova and Apex offering a "plain vanilla Android" feel to everyone, and phone manufacturers adding lots of goodies to their UIs (the knock on feature on my LG G2 has become my favorite thing on a phone ever), plus updates being ported to phones at faster rate, I find I am less and less inclined to consider a Nexus phone.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They aren't as stable, no guarantee of support, wont get updates immediately. But I see your point. I used Apex/Nove (I forget which) and Launcher Pro before it for various devices.

9. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

Thanks omegasupreme, after reading that i went and checked my phone just out of curiosity and what do you know system update is ready :cool:

1 person likes this.
  10. OmegaSupreme

or you could try to compile from source and kang your own version of pa since pa has absolutely nothing to do with the nexus on its own. ;)

np.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Haha I know I was just being stupid. Staying on stock until they release

12. vvade

vvade Member

I ordered the Nexus 5 several days ago. It doesn't leave Google's warehouse until the 20th. Few questions:

1) Does it freeze up? I know it's fast, but Android tends to freeze up more than iOS (but lately iOS 7 has been freezing more for me).
    2) How is the data on T-Mobile? Have you ran a speed test?
    3) It's 4G LTE, which is the fastest correct?

13. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

1. It doesn't freeze up, many modern phones shouldn't freeze up, including phones running ios7. Your nand may be going bad.

2. I don't use T-mobile

3. Yes, 4GLTE is the fastest and the Nexus support LTE on T-Mobile, AT&T, and that wireless dial-up company named Sprint (aka WALK, aka the NOT NOW network)

14. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Did anyone jump on that 350 moto x?

15. hlcc

hlcc Member

yay! my nexus 5 finally upgraded to 4.4.2

16. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

My G2 has been rock solid (actually, more so than my Galaxy Nexus was), and though there is is no guarantee of support: A.) it seems that carriers are updating the devices for longer periods now and B.) if carriers don't provide an update, you can bet XDA will. And yes, updates won't come immediately. But with some of the "unexpected features" (a.k.a. - bugs) that have come with the last few updates, that's not such a great loss to me. I get what you're saying: the Nexus line is for devs, who want the latest and greatest. I think the disconnect is that Google almost seems to want to make it the flagship Android consumer phone, and I don't think that's the case.

17. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

ever since I jumped on the nexus train (galaxy nexus) it's always been buggy initially after a software update. it's gonna happen with apps not working properly due to devs having to update their apps. It's what you live with when owning a nexus. But after that initial stage, it's usually super smooth sailing. Life of an early adopter.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#378 fchowd0311, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  19. fchowd0311

Just sharing some wallpapers that i'm sure nexus owners who are Rocket fans wouldn't mind.

20. fchowd0311

I hope you do know that the launcher is roughly about 5 percent of the os...
    The problem with many of the "features" that 3rd party skins add to android is that they are gimmicky and slow down the os. Many features are redundant also such as "s-voice". Touchwiz is a mess. The nexus line is still relevant and still has the best software out of any android device. Majority of Google's enhancements to android versions are not gimmicky but improve the core user experience such as a brand new runtime called ART(Android Run Time). I trust Google with software, not Samsung or HTC. Their coders and software engineers are no where near the level of Google's.