1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Omer Asik played his last game as a Rocket already?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Jan 3, 2014.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think it is an agreement between Asik and the Rox, I doubt we see him in a Rox jersey ever again.

The only way I could see that happening was Omer changing his mind.

DD

2. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

Why would the Rockets agree to this? Asik's trade value has plummeted. The only hope now is that teams get desperate at the deadline for a starting quality centre and we can flip him for a useful asset.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because they have no choice, if the fine him his stock goes way down as a malcontent, better to make it look like a minor injury that miraculously heals after the trade.

DD

4. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

That makes sense, but other GMs aren't stupid. It'll be obvious to them what's going on. It doesn't look like the Rockets have any real leverage here. I guess Morey overplayed his hand this time.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

While that might be the case, I do think he will have to play at least a few games before the trade deadline to show the team/s looking to trade for him that he's 100% healthy.

Right now, with the reports out there, would you trade for him not knowing he's healthy enough to even play?

I think he plays for about 2 weeks worth of games leading up to the deadline.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Refusing to trade him for scraps means Morey isn't desperate and he shouldn't be. Morey didn't lose leverage because he didn't trade Asik for Bass and Lee if anything he rebuffed the market and will likely get a better deal.

If not? I'm fine with Asik rotting on the bench the entire season. People will want his expiring contract next season.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't know. The whole thing smells funny.

The team is simply handling this very strangely. I knew Asik wouldn't be good at playing happy until a trade could be reached, but I wasn't prepared for the malcontent either. Every time he sat on that bench he looked like someone had just shot his beloved dog.

And he doesn't even travel with the team?

And he is NEVER mentioned, even in, "Nothing new to report"? Let Feigen drop an occasional tweet?

And no other team interested in Omer leaked to the media about their concern of his "injury"?

My guess is management and/or coaching doesn't want Omer's sulkiness around the team, especially if he won't play for them again.

Maybe he has had some swelling in his knee, but I doubt he has The Elephant Man's knee:

Fan: "Omer, ha ha ha, look at your knee, ha ha ha!"

Omer Asik: "Omer is not an animal! OMER is not an animal!"

I hope the injury thing is being overplayed and his destination is already written, because McHale and Morey botched this one badly: hey, Twin Towers + no-defense three-point-shooters!

Here's where jtr neg-reps me for criticizing McHale.

Even if Morey paid off the other team with an extra 3 million bucks, that's an expensive expiring.

8. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

No clue where he might end up though,the east sucks and everyone besides Miami and the Pacers are trying to tank,maybe Brooklyn.

He might end up in the west.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Asik is bordering on Royce White territory.

Get rid of him for somebody who wants to help, ASAP

10. dobro1229

Unfortunately the West is probably were he ends up IF they really do want to move him that bad. That's where the need is and the supply runs lower. Phoenix, Portland, Dallas, and maybe even the Clippers have the need.

The fact is we only heard that the Celtics, Sixers, Cavs, Hawks, and the Bobcats were in play for Asik.

All East teams, and all teams that really didn't have a great "Need" for Asik at the time.... hmmm... Kind of makes you think that Morey might not have been as desperate to move Asik as we all might have thought and only wanted to move him on their terms.

11. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

You are right,hope it's either Dallas or Phoenix,cause if it is one of the other teams Game over Rockets.

12. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

I think you caught the substance of the truth.

It's just a question of whether we can get fair value for Asik now, and I don't think we can. It's easy to say, let him rot on the bench, but we need some bench depth. Of course once parsons and Bev are back thing will improve. Even so, having an 8 million centre not playing in the playoffs is going to hurt us. The league knows this so I am skeptical about what Morey can do here.

Mchale isn't to blame. He did what he was told and tried to make it work. Morey overplayed his hand on this trade. I guess you can't win em all.

13. dobro1229

And Phoenix & Dallas aren't going to be thorns in the side of the Rockets this year and in the future?

Your almost better off sending him to a team like Portland who would already be favored over the Rockets regardless, but would be out of their division. That way you at least keep yourself better than your division rivals.

14. htown1984

htown1984 Member

We need to send him to a team that can provide with a decent back-up Center + a good shooter.. Arent we like almost last in 3 point shooting..
    this team is built to shoot the 3's, but our shooters suck..

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Morey would be insane to keep Omer around through next season. To have a malcontent who refuses to play(or half-asses it on those rare occasions he does suit up) getting $15 million from the team when the lack of depth is hurting us so much doesn't exactly send a message to the rest of the players that the organization is doing everything it can to win a title.

The only reason to hang onto Omer is so his contract comes off the books in 2015(along with Lin's if he's not traded either) and the Rockets have a ton of cap space to work with. But that would mean Morey is all but writing off this season and next as far as contending.

16. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

I don't think Morey's mistake was not trading him for scraps in December. I think Morey's mistake was not trading him after we got Howard. In retrospect his value was highest then.

Morey tried to bluff, not realising how weak his hand was. Now the league knows he has a weak hand and I don't think there's any way to change their perception barring a miraculous turnaround in Omer's attitude.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And New Orleans. Makes me wonder about Codman's hints of renewed Rockets' interest in Eric Gordon.

Boston, yes, I could see their interest in pairing Asik with Rondo; but I think Boston would want to feel they've got their lottery pick virtually secured.

The other teams in the Titanic Division are starting to win, and Boston is starting to really throw it in the tank, so this is looking okay for them; but I think I'm understanding how Rondo won't return until just around the All Star break.

18. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

Which Morey can't afford to do.

19. Raven

Raven Member

Let's hope Morey finds an acceptable offer this week and flushes Assik off the roster.

20. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

i want Asik gone on our roster asap!