1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. LAC

LAC Member

OP observed that Lin focused more of his energy on defense lately and went on to claim this change in energy allocation was Lin making his case to be starter. While I can attest to seeing the same change, such change is not a definitive indicator of Lin making his case to be starter. That adjustment to focus on defense could be Lin boosting his trade value/just doing what the team asked of him/lobbying for starting PG position like OP claimed; we simply can't verify what Lin's intention is.

2. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I disagree.

The Rockets need Lin to be the starter. The Rockets are at their very best when they are running, pushing the ball. You saw them playing like this last night in the second quarter.

I really don't understand why people can't see that. Lin isn't one of the top pg's in the league but I think he is one of the top pg's at running and pushing the ball, and that's exactly the way the Rockets need to play.

3. Jovial

Jovial Member

No need to argue with this guy. He is a famous LOH who started the "Jeremy Lin is a joke" thread. I put him on my ignore list.

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    No, that was Dei.

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

No, we need a starting PG and we don't have one. Not Lin, not Bev, not Brooks. All bench guys if we want to contend.

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Wrong like normal. I know you guys love making up stuff though. No surprise you have a red bar

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Lin is not making any case to be a starter. He is a bench player at the Rox and a decent 6th man off the bench.

FYI, I do not believe Bev is the answer either as starting PG but he is a better fit with harden and co. and Lin is a better fit off the bench.

All in all, the PG position needs to be fixed.

8. langal

langal Contributing Member

I don't think Bev has a large enough sample size yet but you are probably right. What is annoying about Lin is that his mistakes seems easily fixable. I'm not talking about his average jump shot or questionable handles. Those we can live with. It's moreso the one or two boneheaded turnovers per game and ball-watching on defense that bug me. If he fixes those, then I think Lin can definitely stay for a long time.

9. C. Orientalis

C. Orientalis Member

I agree. He seems to have improved skill wise over the summer, but not in these more instinctual (maybe) areas.

10. AVoiceInACrowd

The assist to turnover ratio bothers me the most also. Last year he was at 2.1/1. I thought with the addition of Dwight that he would be around 2.5/1. But also, the team has less assists per game this year than last year. Probably because Dwight likes to post up where he gets fouled frequently and even when he scores, it usually doesn't give an assist.

But, Jeremy was never going to be a 9 and 3 guy on this team. Maybe a 9 and 4 on a different team. He is just too aggressive a passer to be a 3/1 guy. But, I expect that he'll start playing closer to 2/1 which is around his career avg. (regression to the mean).

11. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

A lot of it has to do with the system your playing in, it's not all raw numbers. I agree he needs to be better on the turnovers, also a lot of the has to do with players playing together for a while, especially when it's an uptempo team. Although Mchale doesn't have them running as much as I think they should.

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

Easier Q! How many PG in NBA who are worst than Lin!

13. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Last year he was asked to be the playing making off the ball PG which helped his assist.
    This year he was asked to be the spark\scorer of the bench... as you can see his scoring went up and assists went down... that is due largely to his role... last game while he adapts back to more pg role you can see him do 6-8 assists a game again, until pb comes back and he goes back to his spark of the bench role again....

14. allaroundplayer

This play with 6.5 seconds left in the Hawks game (at 4:25 in the video) is strange:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLgOmkXc7X4

Nobody slapped hands with Lin except Parsons when he got to the huddle. The worst is Harden who made the pass. He just walked the other way.

Harden really has an attitude problem when it comes to Lin which couldn't be more plainly demonstrated than by his reaction to that shot by Lin.

Of course, that has been obvious ever since he was traded to Houston.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Jeremy Lin rides on his emotion too much. If he's cold, he doesn't shoot. If he's hot, he gets out of control. His style of play is not conducive to consistent performances in the NBA.

16. AVoiceInACrowd

Stop trolling.:rolleyes:

17. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

I was scratching my head why the last plays Lin was shooting 3pts instead of Harden. Does the coach think Harden isn't clutch?:eek:

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Maybe because they were all in shock that they only got a 2 pointer on the shot? Look at Lin when he walks to the bench. Does he look happy or excited to you? The referee ruling that it was a 2 pointer cost them the game. Everyone was disappointed (including Lin). They initially thought that they had tied the game.

19. allaroundplayer

Ok, find a video with a last second shot to tie the game (potentially) where the person who hits the shot is totally ignored by his teammates & the player who passes the ball should at least look at who made the shot because he got him an assist or the player that hits the shot will say nice pass, but Harden gave Lin the cold shoulder.

That was very odd!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. C. Orientalis

C. Orientalis Member

Reading too much into it.