1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Omer Asik played his last game as a Rocket already?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Jan 3, 2014.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he has been the official mouthpiece for the franchise for many many years

2. sun12

sun12 Member

Asik is entitled to that 25mil according to the guaranteed contract legally. Anytime on the court, he will get that 25mil.

If you don't like it, change the collective bargaining agreement of the NBA.

3. rc1991

rc1991 Member

The rockets can fine him, like Royce White.
    I dont see why the rockets are allowing him to get the money without doing his job

4. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

If the Rockets Fine him it would destroy Asik's value Even more as it is right now.

5. Deniz

Deniz Member

yes, good idea. fine him because he's injured :rolleyes:

he bribed them to lie. lol

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I know there are a few people here with connections to the team. I wonder if you guys can comment if you think really think this injury is legit? I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but it seems really fishy.

7. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

From a trade value perspective is it worse for Asik to be seen as being chronically injure enough to keep him out for this many games or having a bad enough attitude to keep himself out of games?

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Of course. Isn't it strange how no one knows anything about this "injury" and the lack of timetable for return?

If you have followed the situation at all and know how durable Asik was last year, it's a very fishy situation.

9. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

Asik's trade value has never been lower since he joined the team. I think in the end he will fold and start playing again (assuming his injury is not as severe as advertised.)

But the Rockets are hurting big time with him not contributing so it's a game of chicken between Asik and Morey.

Sometimes big teams would be happy to let a guy rot on the bench uselessly for years just to make the point that no player is going to push them around. Unfortunately the Rockets can't afford to do that, but they'd be lucky to get anything at all of value in trade right now for Omer. GMs know he wants out and that the longer the situation continues the worse for the Rockets. Maybe as the deadline approaches and teams start to get desperate the leverage will shift back in our favor.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I couldn't disagree more strongly.

Morey is making a clear statement that "we don't care if he doesn't play - we're not letting him walk for peanuts".
    Why do you think the Rockets had the self imposed deadline back in December? It was to see what kind of offers they could drum up for Asik, take a look at them, and then say "nah, not worth it". Sure, if a magnificent deal had been presented, it would've been taken, but apart from that it was a clever ploy to set a minimum value.

Every GM knows what Asik can do. He's an elite defensive big man who controls the paint defensively, and plays the PnR defence better than any other big, AND is one of the top rebounders in the NBA. His value won't decrease.

Meanwhile, Morey won't entertain stupid offers, and would prefer to let his contract expire than sell low. Asik will either have to come to the party and play some ball (either to get traded, or as part of this team), or face the prospect of 2 full years without playing NBA basketball. What sort of future has he got if he can't get on the court?

2 people like this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

+1

Next year is a contract year for Asik. If he is still with the Rockets, he would be hampering his own future by not playing.

If he truly wants a trade, playing well enhances this possibility.

12. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I wasn't talking about the money he is owed smart ass. I was talking about how guys saying he should be traded or not play. He is getting paid so no one owes him jack. Hes not owed promises, or playing time. But since he being paid, he needs to do his job.

13. vizier

vizier Member

seat his ass on the bench until his contract ends and release him.

14. TheJet

TheJet Member

I'd love to hear the answer to this as well. I loved me some Asik last year. Hard worker, relentless. Much better offensively than I was expecting. The longer the situation this year has gone on the more I find myself doubting the legitimacy of this injury. It's really soured me a bit on Omer.

15. SHARKLIN-SOUP

SHARKLIN-SOUP Member

I hope for Asik's sake, he gets traded to a team that gives him the playing time he wants. I wonder why the NBA doesn't question his "injury" status?

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm on this boat. He's acting worse than McGrady towards the end

17. pippsux

pippsux Member

I've got one better. Don't trade this loser. Dnp him for the rest of the season
    and if doesn't sit his soft ass on the bench every game, then fine him . Next season send him to the d league for the season. If he refuses fine fine fine him , but don't trade him until his contract expires. Too much?

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

In many ways, because of the large amount of monies involved, this situation is getting worse than the Royse White one. Asik has been unbelievably unprofessional since the Howard signing. Morey is too smart to shoot himself in the foot, or he would have fined Asik with a conduct detrimental to the team and not paid him for the duration of such conduct.

A messy situation is messy.

19. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Cant send vets to the d league without their consent

20. TuanDinhVu

TuanDinhVu Member

Asik has been out a long time. If he has an injury, it must be very serious to be out so long. But to have so little information or talk coming from the Rockets organization, it seems likely that there is no injury. Also, is he even showing up for games? Is he not able to support the team with being present on the bench, if even not in uniform?