1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Third All-Star returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Thankfully.

2. langal

langal Contributing Member

doesn't the coach select the replacement if the #1 (or #2) can't play?

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I wouldn’t say it’s embarrassing, but considering how stacked in talent the West is this year it wouldn’t be good press for Lin if he takes the spot over another player. It will just reinforce the sentiment that Lin is only popular because of his ethnicity.

4. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Are Harden and Howard locks to make the team?

5. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

yea kobe has for his 1st all star appearance

6. smr6

smr6 Member

I think it has to do with the format change that came last year. He used to dominate the voting because he was by far the most popular Center in his conference as well as the most talented back then.

He still is probably the most popular center in the league, but now you don't vote on a starting center anymore, you vote on frontcourt. So now there are people who would easily vote for him if it was Western centers only, they can now choose to vote for Durant, Love, Aldridge, or Griffin instead of him as well.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Harden and Howard will at least be selected as reserves.

If Blake doesn't get voted in as a starter, that would be sad. No disrespect to Dwight or Durant, but I want to see Blake go all dunk-contest on the ASG.

8. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

They need to change the All-Star selection. I know the league wants to get fans involved but Kobe and Lin have no business being in the top 4. Why can't we just do it similar to voting for a president, where the votes really don't count.

9. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

you IMAGINE.

10. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

The actual replacement is picked by the commish, and the coach picks who starts. This was explained in the previous thread, kinda odd people keep thinking Lin will start being #4 in votes.

11. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I only say that for him. To be voted into something you know you don't deserve won't feel good. He'll get there someday.

13. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I feel bad for a Al Horford, the guy is putting up career numbers on the only other team in the East (that isn't Indy or Miami) with a winning record and the guy can't even crack the top ten.

I generally go by the Van Gundy rule: if your team doesn't have a winning record you should not be on an all star team. That left me with pretty slim pickings in the East.

14. Deniz

Deniz Member

Asik has more votes than Marc Gasol and DeAndre Jorden

Why is Marc Gasol not listed on top 15:confused:

15. solo241

solo241 Member

It seems the majority of individuals upset with regard to fan voting is they assume the ASG is based on merit. If those individuals would simply come to terms with the fact that the ASG is for the fans to watch their favorite players all in one game, a lot of the outrage would quickly dissipate. There would no longer be this fictional "embarrassment" for playing in a game based on popularity.

Perhaps the NBA could have an All-Pro game after the season ends. Consequently, there would be the ASG for fan favorites in the middle of the season then a second game during the summer honoring the All-Pro teams, which would be based on actual merit. Plus it would also take playoff performance into consideration. Can you imagine watching first team v. second team all NBA? That would be amazing. What if second team won?

I just think it's important we remember what the ASG is suppose to represent - popularity not merit.

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Hate the All-Star game. What a waste of time. I would prefer that none of our players participate so they could just get some rest.

17. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

No player from the Grizzlies is listed in Top 15 or 10.

18. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Inb4
    - race is not a factor
    - Lin is playing like an all star
    - Most Lin fans are Rockets fans
    - Harden is not playing as well as Ellis
    - Tyson Chandler

19. Gil

Gil Member

This Lin hate is getting out of hand. His fans haven't even said anything ridiculous yet and some people are already on the kids back.

And the last player to get voted into the all star game despite not being a starter was Kobe.

20. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

You're just assuming that it would be because of his ethnicity. There's no way to know exactly who voted for him.