1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luol Deng traded to Cavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by drowsy12, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I understand the '3 years oversees = not bound by rookie scale' rule.

I'm talking about the minimum length of his NBA contract. I believe it's 3 years minimum.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I found that part:

4. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

How do you plan on getting him?
    No one wants Lin and his crazy contract,DMo is a bust,same with Brewer and the Magic have Vucevic so no need for Asik.

Unless you wanna give up TJones or Parsons,no chance in hell.

5. RikSmits

RikSmits Member

Is this final yet?
    Did Bynum pass his physical? :grin:

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Well, hot damn! Good catch!

I stand corrected. Seems that Mirotic cannot be signed for less than 80% of his rookie scale salary or for fewer than three years (or two guaranteed years, if signed to a rookie scale contract) unless the Bulls just renounce his rights . . . which they are not doing.

7. lalala902102001

This really comes down to Jerry Reinsdorf trying to save some money. This guy is known to not be willing to pay luxury tax and this trace saves him from needing to do that this season.

I would be pissed if I were Tom Thibodeau.

8. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

@AlexKennedyNBA: The Chicago Bulls are expected to waive Andrew Bynum at some point in the next three hours. Expect an official announcement soon.

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Jones and Lin or Asik for Afflalo and Big Baby. Magic want out of Davis's contract and to sell high on Afflalo who doesn't fit in their timeline. Might need a third team but Davis becomes your backup C and starting PF, Afflalo is your wing depth.

I like Jones as well but if you want a third piece you may need to sell high on him.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>As expected, the Bulls just finalized the paperwork waiving Andrew Bynum, acquired in last night's Luol Deng trade, league source says.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/statuses/420648526205288448">January 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think an interesting thing is whether the Deng trade sets the market for, say, Kyle Lowry. Both are very good but not elite players who are upcoming unrestricted free agents after this season. Lowry earns less for the rest of this season but both of these guys will be paid "market value" this summer and can leave whatever team they are on at that time.

For Lowry, would you give up "the Deng Package"? An expiring contract, a heavily protected 1st rounder, a heavily protected draft right swap, and two crappy 2nd round picks (these are Portland's 2nd rounders, I think)?

12. htown1984

htown1984 Member

wouldn is have save the Lakers some Tax? Why wouldnt they do this deal..

13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Lowry just left too bad a taste in my mouth as he neared his exit. He cried about every no-call. Took bad shots. Thought he was way better than he was. And dominated the ball.

I could be way off base, but I don't think he'd fit into the team very well. He doesn't shoot the three well. Needs the ball in his hands and has a piss poor attitude.

Furthermore, if we did bring him in, it would only be as a rental because I don't see us matching anything for him unless we somehow offloaded Lin in the process.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It's a contract year for Lowry. He would be on his best behavior if any trade if this nature were to go down.

15. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Bynum for the room exception?

Gotta consider it

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

My first thought on that -- I think there is a difference with Deng in that he's looking for max or near-max and I don't know if too many teams are going to sign him for that with outright cap room (certainly the market of teams that can sign him is smaller). I may be wrong, but if not, I think that gives Cleveland an advantage. Lowry's asking price ($8M?) should be lower... might be easier for him to walk away from whatever team has his rights.

17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Put me in the camp that thinks this is a terrible deal for the Cavs.

Luol Deng is a decent player, but he doesn't move the needle. The Cavs are a bad team. With or without Deng. They might play .500 ball for the rest of the year, but only because the East is awful. So... what's the point? Great, now you have the rights to overpay Deng in the summer or by extension. Congratulations.

The reasonable move would have been being bad for one more year. Trading for Deng makes zero sense, lottery protected pick that may turn into a second rounder or not. They are screwing themselves out of a great draft pick (which they could have traded for someone much better than Deng, if you want to argue that the Cavs suck at drafting [which they do]).

Gotta wonder how much the whole wanting to be good thing has to with their expectations going into the season and their promise from the draft lottery that they won't be back there.

#157 HMMMHMM, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  18. chandlerbang21

Deng and Lowry will be lakers i think

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Mr. Potatohead is the problem in Cleveland, they should have hired someone like Stan Van Gundy

20. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

This really sucks, I was hoping we would do the Lin for Deng trade. Damn AB stocks fell off the cliff in a few short years. This dude was a key piece in the Dwight Howard deal, and now he's just fodder for cap space.