1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Wrong. 300 posessions by an entire lineup is an exceedingly small sample as is five hundred in basketball . That is what I was refering to. You also have unequal sample sizes. Did you correct for that?

2. Crunchyball

Crunchyball Rookie

Yea it makes sense, Harden seriously needs to play both ends especially, I sick of seeing him coasting it, when we all know that he can turn his game on at the flip of a switch.

3. bws

bws Member

Harden seems to be more energetic now, maybe his foot/ankle injury is slightly better. I'm hoping that if he plays 35-37 minutes, that he has more energy on both ends and mentally, that he's sharper if he doesn't feel he has to do as much playmaking as he can. I think he does too much playmaking and needs to be pass more when he gets the ball in early possessions. I think the error McHale made is not stressing the development of Lin as a playmaker but wanting him to more slash and score, slash and dish, yet expecting him to have Beverley-like low turnovers. That's not going to happen with Lin's style of play and his level of ball handling at this point.

4. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Lin seems to excessively go under the screen and doesn't recover quickly enough to get back to the his man on the dribble drive. Also OMG, I didn't know his left hand was that horrible, there is no way I would ever let Lin go right I sit on his right hand like a fat man on a couch watching every ESPN bowl games. He almost threw the ball over the bench when tried a left hand layup. LOL!!!!

The best $8 mln every spent for a one handed point guard.

5. tonman

tonman Member

1. You don't understand how to play the PNR defense so please stop trying to discuss it. IF the guard goes under the screen, it is the BIG's job to step out and show so that it takes enough time for the guard to recover. What do you think PNRs are for? IF the guard "fights" through the screen that means the guard is behind the ball handler which means the BIG has to hedge to the guard (but not show) to slow any penetration.

First, the "show" may force a switch of defenders putting the BIG on the ball handler and the guard on the big man. This is also a part of the PNR but the next phase of the defense kicks in as you now set up help defense and proper rotation if the opposing team tries to exploit the mismatches.

Second, if the "fight" through the screen occurs and the BIG does not hedge, the opposing guard will just drive to the basket (as seen a lot and blamed on the Houston guards all the time). If the BIG hedges, that leaves the opposing BIG open for jump shot or to fill the lane. Again, this is all part of the PNR and again, once this occurs, it is the help defense and rotation that is called to protect.

2) Regardless of how "bad" Lin's left hand is, he is still very good at scoring at the rim so all this moaning and groaning about his left hand is ridiculous. Going left is different from using the left hand at the rim.

6. bws

bws Member

Lin goes left with regularity. That guy sounds like he is just regurgitating what Steven A Smith said before this season and hasn't watched Lin music this season. Sometimes Lin finishes with his left hand, like he did in that big basket in the Toronto game, but he's more apt to finish with his right on either side of the basket. He's also been going over picks on shooters with regularity, so it's more stuff that doesn't apply to Lin anymore.

7. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Sigh

Stop dickriding Lin for ****s sake,seriously you Lin Fans are pathetic,this dude is not even an Allstar.
    Always Said trade for Calderon,dude is a solid player and there would Not be Spanish Fans complaining about PT.

8. quatin

quatin Member

Cousins and Thomas make PnR plays and you just whine about how Lin can't play 2 on 1 defense. PnR defense requires 2 defenders to play and lin/jones did great. It's not just "stay in front of your man" unless you're playing peewee basketball. Your "blown by" whining is also unsubstantiated. Even on isolation plays, Lin was guarding Thomas by leaning towards his weak side, forcing him to drive from the outside to his right, which allowed the bigs a chance to contest. Our team and isolation defense against Thomas overall was pretty good.

There was a breakdown in the 4th, where we went small ball and cleared the paint for Thomas and he got some points, but that's just the risk you take going small ball. You're making things up to complain about and it really shows you have an ulterior motive or just trolling hard.

The biggest defensive problem against the kings was the Rudy Gay screen. When Chandler got picked and rotated with lin or harden, Gay would just shoot over their heads. We sorely lack another tall wing defender. It's obvious to anyone who watched the game, but of course you're just going to whine about lin, because you don't really care about rockets basketball.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

LOL

What the heck are you talking about. Correct for what?

It is a measurement of past performance. There is no "correcting for that" or a sample size limitation.

If I say someone shot the ball well yesterday and point out they went 8 or 9 from the field, there are no sample size limitations or corrections for that, because it is how THEY SHOT THE BALL YESTERDAY.

The lineup data is a measurement of how they have played thus far. It can be one possession for a million possessions, it does not matter.

10. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

The earnest on Lin to shut his critics up. Even though his play so far has been good, there are inconsistency which gives room for critics. If he manages to put up 16.ppg 8assists, 4rpg, there would be no room to argue. I personally think Lin is a starter in the league and would do well in many systems. However with the current roster and coaching staff, Lin is not being utilize in the correct manner.

It comes down to this. He either fall in line and do as he's told which it seems like he is, or he can put up sick numbers and force changes. Some of the fans here believe he's being treated unfairly, and that maybe so, but such is life.

11. ILoveWhiteGirls

I'm not so sure if you're sure of how the internet works? I'm certain that Calderon has a pretty big following and not just the Spanish community and if he was treated unfairly, the internet community will be very outspoken about it because usually that's what happens in Sports forums. The male sports fans ride dick more than their spouses.

12. alebaba

alebaba Member

I can tell some of you have never play basketball or organize bball in your life, it takes two to defend the pnr.

1 person likes this.
  13. gene18

gene18 Rookie

It does matter for prediction purposes. If it is just to document what a person has done and not discuss what the data means for the future then thats OK. What are you using the data for.? I assume you are trying to draw conclusions from the data to predict what lineup should be used. I was talking about correcting for unequal sample size.

14. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Yes, I played and it required a guard to hustle and recover quickly for it to work. Jlin sticks to screens like a refrigerator magnet. His recover time is way too slow on PnR and he goes under the screen 12,000 miles. There is a significant difference in PnR between him and Pbev. Pbev recovers quickly with a hand in the face and actually punishes the person setting the pick.

15. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

If Bev is so good at it, why are opposing pg's scoring more on him than Lin?

Bev is a good backup pg and I'm glad to have him on the Rockets, but face it Lin needs to be the starter. The only reason he isn't is because Mchale is a dumbass.

16. Razsan

Razsan Member

Seriously, I don;t get this "it must be true cause it SEEMS like it is" Bev is NOT playing great D this year and McHale will be the Rockets downfall this year.

17. imaginedragons

agree with this. have seldom seen Lin forceful and aggressive when fighting around picks and screens. seems to me he is hesitant and indecisive whether to go over and under the screen and slows down voluntarily, which makes the pick even more effective.

also, i've seen the screener's guy - usually Howard or TJones, also hesitate whether to show hard or drop back, and this happens whether its Bev or Lin as the other guy in the pair defending the PNR.

Could it be that at this point, they do not even have adequate coaching on which PNRs to defend with hard switches and hard show by the big men, or which PNRs to lay off, which leads to their hesitance and confusion on a play to play basis?

i like Bev's attitude though if that were the case, whatever happens or whatever his big man does, he will simply fight the pick all the time...

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LOF's are seriously delusional. Lin as an all star caliber player? LOL, never on merit

He will struggle to make it as a top 15 PG in the NBA currently.

He is a good 6th man off the bench but definitely can never be the starter for a championship team.

19. tonman

tonman Member

since when are the Rockets a championship team? 20 years ago?

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

So if we don't use past data, then what do you propose we use for consideration of the future? We pull things out of our ass?

The Rockets feed their coaches and players in-game information in real time with their SportsVU technology and dissecting the happenings in a game. I'm sure if you ran the Rockets, you'd just go, "Can't look at information from 1st quarter. There were only, what, 25 possessions? Not big enough sample. PLAY MORE LIN!!"