1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I read it, then I watched the first two videos, and it is totally wrong. It sounds good and all, as long as you don't let facts get in the way.

2. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

How so? Please explain what you are seeing differently. Would be interested in another viewpoint.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Guy like rondo got pelts on the wall. I guarantee if rondo was on the squad, harden would play off the ball. He doesn't yield it to lin because,its lin, who really don't handle and make good decisions with the ball either.

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

On both those plays, after the pick, Jason Thompson is wide open coming down the middle of the lane with Jones way behind him. In the first clip, Harden helps, and then is picked by Thompson, opening up McLemore for a three. In the second play, Harden helps, and is unable to get back to McLemore. In both those cases, if Harden doesn't help, then Thompson is wide open. In both these plays, Thompson's goal is to pick or occupy Harden to free McLemore, which is what happens.

In both these cases, the defense is broken down because the roll man is wide open after the PNR, and not the result of Harden ball watching.

BTW, why is Lin going behind those picks? Thomas is probably 2 feet away from the roll man on the first play, and 3 feet on the second.

#304 WinkFan, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  5. SugarLandDream8

12/25

Tony Parker - All Nba PG, Finals MVP, All Star, NBA champion, Future HOFer

6 points, 3-11, 27% FG

12/26 on a back to back

Mike Conley - All D Team, One of the top PGs in the NBA

11 points, 4-14, 28% FG

12/28 3rd game in 4 nights

Jrue Holiday - All Star, One of the top PGs in the NBA

3 points, 1-9, 11% FG

Lin basically shut down 3 of the top PGs in the NBA in 3 games in 4 nights.

The last game

Isiah Thomas played OK

6-17, 35% FG but he didn't exactly dominate shooting 35%

Jeremy's D has been really good lately. He had a mediocre game against the Thunder when it was the 4th game in 5 nights and everyone on the Rockets was dead tired. Other than the Thunder game, J-Lin has been dominating on D.

6. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

What are you a 1999 troll?

Why do you have to post crap like that? If you have been here since 1999 you should be a Rockets fan. Rocket fans should be happy to have a good pg like Lin, and most know without a doubt that he should be a starter.

7. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Fortunately you are not Les. The rumbling still goes on and on. Oop! Why do I get myself involved. Oh yes, I am MOF....Lol

8. bws

bws Member

Lin is a winner. He makes winning plays. He's in his 2nd full-time year and he's improving. He's already helped the team win a good amount of games this season and there are a lot more games to be played. He's cooled off his scoring but once his jump shot comes back, he'll heat up again and maybe have a streak of high-scoring games. Morey thinks he's doing best feeding Dwight the ball in the post. At least he's noticed that while most of CF hasn't.

9. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

So once again I ask- you would be ok with Harden coming off the bench again as the 6th man right? After all, Harden is an offensive juggernaut and it's wasted when we already have Parsons, Howard and Lin in the starting 5. He would be better with our bench guys. Right?

10. ed_tx

Or I will say Lin, Harden and Brooks need to play more D and people will say:

1) "Harden doesn't need to play D- he's a star! He and Brooks give us so much on offense, they don't need to play D. But Lin needs to step it up."

2) "Let's just make up theories about how Lin's defense is as bad as Harden's and Brooks without backing it up with any stats. If we say it people will believe it."

3) "Harden is my boy and a boss. He doesn't need to change **** about his game b/c he is a baller and max player and the rest of the team needs to bow down to him and let him do his thing. I know b/c I watched parts of the game while standing outside the Comcast studio window in the Pavilion b/c I'm too cheap to buy a ticket or cable."

11. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Morey is lying. LOL. Lin is usually late on the feed or doesn't hit Dwight where he needs the ball. The best post feeders are Aaron Brooks (too bad he always looks to shoot first), Parsons, and here and there, Casspi. Neither Lin nor any of the other guards are adequate post passers.

I'm beginning to think that while Bev is out, it might actually be wise to start ABz and re-instate Lin in his 6th man role. The bench sucks and we haven't been able to get any consistent production from them. If you think about it, I don't think Manu or Harden ever got inserted into the starting lineup when their starting SG was out, the coaches left them as the offensive spark off the bench. Also, leaving Lin on the bench would allow for more chemistry building and jelling time with the bench. If Lin, Gracia, Casspi can start jelling and functioning as a reliable and legit 2nd unit, this would help McHale cut down Parsons and Harden's minutes.

12. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Disagree. Lin is the best at the entry pass on this team and has been good at it all his adult life. I've coached the entry pass a thousand times over the years and have tossed a million of them myself. And just logically speaking, really? Saying that Lin is good at the entry pass is upping his trade value?? Trust me, against any decent defense, post entry is not as easy as you make it sound, lol. Not by a long shot.

13. N/A

N/A Member

Lin's had like 3 bad games the entire year. Not sure how people still find ways to complain. For all his recent misses at the 3 point line, he's still 5% higher than last year. Give credit where credit is due?

14. ed_tx

Dude, you will do anything to keep Lin from starting. You better run, better run with your pumped up kicks back up to the hatorade line so you don't run out.

Lin's been the best at feeding both our big men- Dwight and TJ, hands down. The bench does suck and if Lin is as bad as you say that he is , we need a real star to help them out... a flat out scorer... a guy who can hog the ball and iso all night long... someone like OKC had 2 seasons ago.... hmmmmmmmm

15. hahachui

hahachui Member

Lin is playing good this year overall.
    i dun care if he is the starter.
    rockets should make use of his skill to make us a better team.

16. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

I don't hate Lin nor am I trying to excuse him from starting. I thought he did well in the starting lineup after Bev's injury and could see him return to the starting lineup. But the more I see the bench's lack of production, the more I'm convinced that we really do need Lin as that primary facilitator off the bench. Brooks is not consistent enough and sometimes looks to shoot more than to facilitate. If anything, I think Lin needs an expanded role in the offense and the best way to give him that is to bring him off the bench again, now, while Bev is still out.

I've watched most games and it's hard for me to agree that Lin's "the best" at feeding the post. To his credit, he does look to pass more in the post than any of the other ball handlers. But like I've said, sometimes he's late on the pass or the pass isn't connecting where it needs to. I'm sure with more practice he and the other guys will improve their post passes (hopefully).

17. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Lin is making a Tim Tebow like case for being a temporary mascot on the Houston Rockets. Maybe someday he will land a real gig as an important part of a winning team, perhaps he could work for Wal-Mart.

18. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

More I think about it, the more I think we should start Lin, give Brooks more minutes and let Brooks be the spark off the bench, and let Lin play the 2 with Brooks for some of the game (anything to give Harden more rest, and less uhhh Garcia...)

Not sure how that all works out when Bev comes back though.

19. bws

bws Member

Small ball. Brooks instead of Garcia, Beverley, Lin, and maybe T Jones and Dwight. We don't have a second unit, 1 or more starters will be on the floor always. I think bring Garcia in with the starters as a substitute for Harden and let him play next to Harden. If Dwight isn't in with the Brooks/Bev/Lin trio then T Jones and Smith can at least have a more fast-paced, ball-movement offense and hopefully TJones can provide rim protection. The best thing would be Asik in that lineup with Brooks Bev Lin and then you could have Casspi or T Jones but not Garcia.

20. conquistador#11

let's close this thread with the following,

as a starter lin has averaged 15.7 pts ppg on barely 10 shots, obviously i'm omitting the hawks game where he got injured. More impressively, the man he is facing only scores 12 and shoots right around 40% against lin, with cp3 and ex rocket james anderson putting up 36pts on him which lin scored 36 himself.

On the other hand you have Bev, and I will omit the first game where he got hurt though little zimba already had scored 12 pts on bev. Bev is averaging around 9ppg while his matchups are outscoring him and shooting their averages.

Now you can say, breh that's some flawed eye test. for one, lin has started against sucky pgs like parker, mikecon and jrue while bev has played against ubermans in gogi and curry. To that, I'd say go look at what lin did to those guys last season.

bev has taken the game on his shoulders twice and 1/2, once in a losing effort against the clippers and once against the warriors and 1/2 against the portland blazers where he and lin did a number on lillard.

If not for bev's solo effort against the warriors, we'd be in the seventh seed.
    But if not for lin's effort in six games, we'd be nowhere near the 9th seed. But the people dislike him don't see that, only the rosas of the world. very under appreciated.

however, i'm pissed that lin is willing to ho hum stand at the three point line and watch harden in awe only to put up 10 shots himself as a starter. Might as well be on the bench. and that's all on a lin. I guess he is scared of mchale like mchale is scared of the beard but still. not excusable. mike james could put up 10 shots in 3 minutes!