1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutchfans] Dwight: Defensive woes "starts on the perimeter"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Morey wants this type of offense, that is why I said keep Sampson as an assistant coach. Bring in a defensive minded head coach.

2. Play07

Play07 Member

ASIK millsap iguloda > Howard asik

3. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

And Dwight needs to box out.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

See, read my posts...I wasn't making excuses for Harden. That's people in this thread making excuses for other players.

"Oh, This player is good." or like what you see stated above. "Parsons plays a lot of minutes."

I didn't make excuses for anyone. I am saying once again our defense sucks, with or without Harden it sucks. Period.

5. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Nice breakdown,always Said Asik fits better on D unless Dwight wanna change his Way of playing D

6. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

You would probably had to get rid of Lin to get them,but yeah I agree.

7. muas2010

muas2010 Member

In all of this, Asik is sort of having the last laugh..so far.:eek:

8. basketballholic

Great defensive analysis and dead on. This is why I still say we should have kept the TT going and worked through the issues until Asik realized he was going to be starting at C and getting his minutes just as before. Asik may be the best pick-and-roll defensive big in the league. I know of none better myself. And frankly, I don't even think it's close. Omer and Dwight are contrasting defenders with a tremendous variance in their strengths and weaknesses. I still believe they could have been dynamite together defensively and if I were McHale I'd get Asik back out there and MAKE IT WORK!

And IF we are going to move Asik we're going to have to find a bona-fide defensive replacement that can bring some of what he brought on the pick-and-roll D. Jones and Dwight give you NONE of that....NONE! Smalls go around Dwight like he's planted in concrete. Terrence Jones is totally lost on pick-and-roll defense. And TJones and Dwight have the same defensive strengths, that being weak side help and defending the rim in high traffic. There really is zero variance in Jones' and Dwight's defensive games although there is tremendous difference in range, size, intensity, and experience.

This will keep happening until we either get Omer back or we make a trade or sign a legit big that can provide some p-n-r defensive help and get our perimeter defenders back on track.

9. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Defensive woes starts with our 22 millions superstar center got owned by DeMarcus freaking Cousins in the paint.

10. hltiki

hltiki Member

i hope asik shows the world he's the best defensive center on his new team

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Omitted the rest of the post b/c I'm not ready to place so much blame on Dwight -- but this I agree with 100%. I really think we've won the games we have based solely on talent, which is scary.

12. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Dwight for LMA and Robin Lopez :grin:

13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

at the end of the day, Dwight can't do anything if he has 2-3 players coming at him because the perimeter players are not stopping them from driving.

we need Luol Deng so badly

14. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

More than enough points to win, need better focus on D and more minutes from bench

15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

our bench is the worst bench i have ever seen, we use to have one of the best benches in the NBA most of the time

16. Play07

Play07 Member

nawh iggy & millsapp were free agents this summer, millsapp signed for $9.5mill iggy $11mill.... Howard $22mill

17. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Does anyone have any info from the coaches on the defensive strategy employed? Especially on PnR, the better team big men show on the PnR with the weak side forward hedging! Check the Heat

18. Play07

Play07 Member

That's what happens when you need to give all your money to Howard

19. Play07

Play07 Member

See asik last year he was best in the business

20. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Holy schmoly, you think Isaiah looked like Chris Paul! With maybe one or two exceptions IT simply COULD NOT get by Jeremy "brick wall" Lin. Did you even watch the game??? Granted he did blow by Aaron Bricks time and again. IT shot 6 of 17.