1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Either start Lin, or bring in a new starting PG, Bev ain't cuttin' it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Dec 13, 2013.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Long term, as in, when we take our next considerable step forward in 2015, it is unlikely Lin is on the roster, due to the cap space we could potentially have and then the luxury tax line thresholds, after said cap space is used..

Assuming the best case scenario in which Lin/Asik expire and we land Love for all the available cap space (~15 million), followed by the subsequent contract Parsons will receive (8-12 million) using his low cap hold and bird rights, we are looking a minimum of:

Howard - 22.3m
    Harden - 15.8m
    Love - 16m (estimate)
    Parsons - 11m (estimate)

~63 million dollars

That leaves about 6 million dollars before luxury tax penalties and 11 roster spots to fill. Obviously the Rockets would be set at just about every position except the bench and PG. Beverley's and Canaan will most likely be relied upon to provide the bargain production needed to make such a talent heavy roster sustainable, along with other minimum vet guys like Casspi and Garcia.

The point is that Lin is not a long term piece here. He is a stop gap rental at best, so I imagine the organization is really not all that concerned with integrating him heavily into the offense.

2. MBKeaton

MBKeaton Member

Why won't Lin fans admit his turnovers are a problem? He has the lowest assist-to-turnover ratio of all qualified point guards in the league. At this point the turnovers are the one thing holding him back from being a solid starting PG

3. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Maybe you should stop the hate.

4. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

1. TO's can be a problem for Lin no doubt. you have a point. But this is in context to Lin being a playmaker and making other players get involved in the action, like Terrance JOnes, Garcia, Howard, etcera

2. I'm not buying this. It sound more subjective than anything else. Where you don't really have any facts to back up this claim of your that Beverley controls the pace of the game better. Same argument was made for FElton. But we all knew he was an awful B-Ball player.

I think Lin controls the pace quite fine, sometimes he gets overly aggressive and goes 1-5, but most times he does run the play the coach asks him to.

5. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

But Lin isn't really a PG. that's the issue. He's a SG that backs up Harden and When Harden or Beverley on the same floor as Lin, Lin becomes the SG.

Lin I dont' think has had the amount of time to generate teh chemistry with the new pieces to rack up the assists and lower the TOs. Lots of good passes were mishandled by Rockets players and resulted from a possible assist to a TO.

6. Penetrate&Creat

that is such a bs myth. Lin actually has pretty good defense, other than a couple of bone headed moves where he'll help too much and leave his man wide open.

Bev might be SLIGHTLY better in terms of man to man defense, but that's it.

I used to be one of the "Bev should be the start" believers because he meshed well with the starting unit, but after watching almost all of the games this season, I'm going to renege on my word and say Lin should start.

Lin can actually create his own shot, create for his teammates, and relieve the defensive pressure off Harden so the opposing team has another offensive threat to worry about. Bev has practically 0 presence on the offensive end, so most of the load goes to Harden, and he can't be the man each game when he plays 40+ mins every game

1 person likes this.
  7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Curry's assists/to ratio isn't very good. He is is 26th.
    Lin is dead last is assists/to ratio among qualified pg.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/p...tTurnoverRatio/position/point-guards/count/41.

8. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

Love's a nice player, but I don't know spending 16 Mil is the answer to the ROckets championship season. As well, We don't even know if Love will come to the Rockets at all.

9. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Lin is a solid starting PG despite his flaws. TOs are a continuing problem for the team in general.

1 person likes this.
  10. roxxy

roxxy Member

I don't mind the football passes. Even if they get picked off it pushes the tempo and keeps pace and exhausts the opposing team.

11. Billionzz

I agree with you, that's what I like about the guard combo, that they are so different. That being said it is so obvious that Lin has to be the starter for the Rockets to perform at their best.

1 person likes this.
  12. Rocknation

Rocknation Member

I agree with you. beating the Spurs on X-Mas was huge and Lin was a part of that success. coming back against the Griz was impressive and Lin showed heart int he 4th quarter as well as other players that stepped up. Even Garcia had 2 big threes in that game to help narrow the gap.

13. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

"Thie point is that Lin is not a long term piece here." This is only a reasonable conclusion if your assumption that we need a third max player is valid.

It hasn't been established yet that we need a third max player; it is still only Dec of the first year of the Harden/Howard combination. It is premature to decide the team can't go all the way with its current players plus whatever we get for Asik. If Lin is still here for the playoffs, and we have had the full season to gel, we should have a much better idea of how that will play out.

1 person likes this.
  14. Billionzz

You're wrong, Lin is a pg that can play sg. Lin controls the tempo of the game so much better than Bev. The tempo of the Rockets needs to be quick for them to play at their best. Lin can pass so much better than Bev, it's ridiculous.

It really makes me question the people that can't see that Lin needs to be the starting point guard. Do they really not know bb or watch the games, or is there another reason why they are so against Lin. I just don't understand why they are so down on a very good Rockets player.

15. rokit

rokit Member

Creates high % shots. No easy rubbish assists like the other point guards,due to Moreyball(lack of mid-range shots) and pg by committee...

Could improve his decision making though.

1 person likes this.
  16. bws

bws Member

I don't worry about that stat because
    1) Some of Lin's assists are going to Harden who shares or does more of the playmaking when Lin is besides him
    2) Lin has plenty of getting the balls to guys to make shots and they don't make them or don't finish at the rim.

It's not that Lin can't get assists. It's Harden does a lot of playmaking and until the last few games, it's hard for Lin to get in games where he has guys that knock down shots and finish. He's also part PG, part SG. If and when Lin is put in a position to really do more with an offense and develops chemistry with players, the assists go up. He has too many TOs but I'm not going crazy about it, I saw the same thing with Nash for years. The TOs you have to look at, bad passes, ball stolen from him, etc. An offensive foul is also a TO. Lin also forces TOs from others, he gets steals and picks off his share of passes.

17. bws

bws Member

Hype, extreme fans, his contract, and not great ball security. Bev is safe and secure with little hype or contract. But Bev had no Lindsanity therefore no big scrutiny and contract and doesn't take many chances offensively when he's out there, not does he really change the level of his team mates positively or negatively. I think Lin does for almost all of his team mates positively.

18. Exel

Exel Member

For a rental, the Rockets organization are sure marketing the heck out of him. In the past two seasons and off the top of my head, they've had a bobble head, action figure and tonight's key chain for Lin. I'm new to following the Rockets but has any other insignificant Rockets player receive this kind of marketing push?

1 person likes this.
  19. Chris Jent MVP

Delfino had a bobble head last year :cool:

20. bws

bws Member

I agree. I don't want LMA or Love. I really don't. I think 2 big stars and 2 big near stars is way enough and I think the Rockets have that. Then look at the rest of the team. I want to see this current team play and forget about adding these big star pieces. I think shore up the bench and maybe get a wing defender 2 guard and we're set to go long-term.

1 person likes this.