1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik Trade. Rumors, Tweets and Updates. (Deadline Dec 20th)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheDr34m, Dec 14, 2013.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rockets-suspend-trade-talks-for-omer-asik-184122796.html

After failing to find a suitable deal for center Omer Asik before a self-imposed Thursday deadline, the Houston Rockets backed away from trade discussions today, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Houston general manager Daryl Morey informed Asik's agent Arn Tellem of his decision on Thursday afternoon, sources said.

"This gives [Houston] a chance to buy some more time," one source involved in the deal process told Yahoo Sports.
    The NBA's trade deadline is Feb. 20.

Asik has a $15 million salary-cap hit next season, and that, combined with rival teams' unwillingness to package a quality power forward with an unrestricted first-round draft pick, pushed Morey away from making what he believed would be a bad deal now.

Boston had offered Houston a package of Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee and a restricted future first-round pick, but the sides could never come to terms on an agreement. Philadelphia had remained in pursuit of Asik, but Morey found no deal there, either.

Asik demanded a trade out of Houston shortly after Dwight Howard committed to signing a free-agent deal, and has been anything but patient in awaiting the Rockets to move him. Asik has been moody – even insubordinate – over the Rockets' failure to trade him, and his reaction to Houston letting its self-imposed deadline pass without a trade could have an impact within the locker room.

2. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I knew it! Never ever doubt Morey. The guy won't make a trade just to make a trade. Asik is the best player in any of the proposed trades and unless Morey got the picks he wanted Asik was staying puut. Also, I'm pretty sure this whole situation shows Asik that unles he plays and plays well, he won't get traded. He can continue to pout but that really hurts him the worst.

3. davestrate

davestrate Member

Clutch, have u ever thought of becoming a Houston Rockets Insider? (Serious question)

This could very well be your calling.....go scout some intel from DM himself! :grin:

4. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Exactly lol

We want more we want more

5. seeingred

seeingred Member

yeah, really. weren't you the one whining all day yesterday about how the proposed trade was awful and would lock us into mediocrity for years to come ?

not dealing is fine. either let asik play back up minutes or let him sit out until 1) the trade deadline, when the real offers come out or 2) some contender's big man gets injured and they're ready to panic trade.

no reason to lock us into overpaid, untradeable role players just because asik decides to throw a temper tantrum.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I never believed the odds were more than 50/50 of Asik being traded before the deadline. Teams just are not desperate enough right now to open their purses. If Asik chooses to play the Rockets will be much better. But the Rockets even without Asik (or whatever he would bring back in a trade) will be gunning for a top four seed in the WC. They have that much talent.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Unmotivated Asik means making league minimum in 2 years for him. His agent won't let that happen.

8. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

I'm very happy. I hope Asik plays ASAP.

We would have won the Portland game had he played, and we wouldn't have beat the Spurs without him

9. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Ainge tired to pull a fast one. Nice try.

10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

11. davestrate

davestrate Member

I'm not siding with Asik on this one but wouldn't that be an even bigger reason to despise DM and the organization? I would hope this is false for the sake of future player recruitment.

12. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

SMH....

13. Andrew Wiggins

I disagreed with his post. Re-read.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Meh, I'm not worried about it.

Why force it when the actual deadline isn't until 2 months from now?....

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

he IS an insider. The difference is that he doesn't have to talk about everything he hears like the folks that do it for a living

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Dude, get a brain and a life.

17. Andrew Wiggins

Sorry, I reread it. I agree, no deal is better than a bad one.

1 person likes this.
  18. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I think Morey has proven 100 times that he has contingency plans for every situation. That is why we find out about odd-ball trades at the deadlines every year. Morey may not get his #1, #2, or #24 choice done, but he isn't in a dilemna.

Also, I don't think other GM's are getting smarter by not offering "top dollar". Other GM's will offer however much they feel a player is worth to them. Offering less than what a player is worth to them and not getting a deal done because of it would be stupid on their part.

There may be some ill-will towards Morey from LA, NY, and Chicago due to the poison pills and Howard situation, but I bet when a deal that is important to them comes around, those bad feelings won't stand in the way.

19. jacoby

jacoby Member

How are people, especially sports writers, STILL getting Omer Asik's cap hit wrong? It's been the most corrected misunderstanding in sports history.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think Andrew Bynum might disagree with you there. Some teams will always pay for the services of a big man.