1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik Trade. Rumors, Tweets and Updates. (Deadline Dec 20th)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheDr34m, Dec 14, 2013.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Hmmmm

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

...... :-/

3. torocan

torocan Member

Wouldn't be too worried.

I expect Arn Tellem will talk him off the ledge. He didn't become the most successful agent in the NBA by being an idiot.

4. anchel

anchel Member

Theorically, Asik's trade value is only going to decrease more and more with time, right?

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Asik is now starting to piss me off. You never go Royce White level.

6. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

The thing about Asik is we know he's solid. But if GMs really don't want to pay him 15M next year AND then have to worry about resigning him, what is Morey to do? (Yes, I know he only counts as 8.3M this year and next). This poison pill might come back to bite us. If we can't trade Asik, there's no way we can trade Lin. Asik is a defensive 7 footer. They don't grow on trees.

7. rawool

rawool Member

Here we go... :rolleyes:

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

technically didnt Morey give Lee that contract and then trade him to Boston for picks?

9. anchel

anchel Member

I mean, if current offers are crap, what makes you think that are going to improve from now on?

10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

He said he saw them saying their farewells. Not sure when it'll be announced or to where but I guess he didn't travel with the team. Take it for what it's worth. Probably not much.

11. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

So basically all this to find out we are keeping our disgruntled center.

I mean talk about anti climactic indeed. :(

Ok lock up and the thread and lets go home.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sam Amick/USA Today:

The Houston Rockets, who installed a self-imposed deadline of Thursday by which to trade disgruntled center Omer Asik, have changed their plan.

A person with knowledge of the situation confirmed that the Rockets ended trade talks with teams regarding Asik and will now re-assess his situation. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because trade talks are not typically discussed publicly.

The time element in Rockets general manager Daryl Morey's strategy was created to give him maximum freedom with his roster, as players that he acquires before Friday can still be traded before the Feb. 20 deadline in package deals while players acquired thereafter cannot. Those players acquired after this week could be traded in one-for-one deals, however.

Asik has asked for a trade several times since the Rockets added center Dwight Howard as a free agent in July, but his contract is clearly part of Houston's challenge in finding a suitable deal. When the Rockets' signed him as a free agent in the summer of 2012, they did so by agreeing to a deal in which he would make $8 million in the first two seasons and a whopping $15 million in the third. While the salary cap hit is spread out evenly between the three years, the fact that he's due to earn superstar money in 2013-14 was seen as a turn-off by his former Chicago Bulls team that didn't match the Rockets' initial offer sheet and is apparently turning off would-be suitors now.

Despite reports that Houston was close to a deal with the Boston Celtics on Wednesday, a person with knowledge of the situation said nothing had changed about the discussions between the two teams. The Rockets and Celtics had talked last week and again over the weekend, but the ideas exchanged – including a reported proposal of Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee and a future first-round pick for Asik – had been declined by Rockets general manager Daryl Morey and all was quiet on their shared front. Philadelphia was also widely believed to be in talks with the Rockets, but the depths of those discussions wasn't immediately clear. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the trade talks were private.

In recent days, many teams that had been reported as possible destinations for the disgruntled big man were known to be out of the mix. New Orleans and Milwaukee were out, meaning the Rockets couldn't land the likes of the Pelicans' Ryan Anderson or the Bucks' Ersan Ilyasova. Cleveland was only open to acting as the third team in a possible deal but was not interested in Asik, while Atlanta was said as of Wednesday to be barely involved at all.

13. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

So you gone sit here and lie to us...not cool

14. Cygnus33

Cygnus33 Rookie

The team hasn't traveled yet.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'll go with the fat guy in the tweet.

Friend of mrm32 vs Sam Amick. Who ya got???

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

It's a lot different trading now & in February (Teams desperate for a run or giving up)

I like how Morey doesn't just do a trade for the hell of it.

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

How did I lie? I'm just relaying what was sent to me.

18. Andrew Wiggins

Theoretically, yes. In reality, no.

Centers gets injured more than any other position in the league. Tic toc.

19. Classic

Classic Member

Oh rlly?

20. mrm32

mrm32 Member

This explains it. Had his bags too. Disregards previous posts.