1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Taking a look at Omer Asik Trade Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 19, 2013.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That is the conventional logic, I agree. But somehow it doesn't strike me that Morey is willing to do a bad deal just to appease Asik.

It also wouldn't seem in Morey's character or wisdom to reward bad behavior and pouting. The precedent would be a bad one.

2. Raven

Raven Member

Just a thought, how is AK looking these days?

3. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

He's looking injured

4. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

5. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

Feigen gives a lot of good info. Any deal w/ the Sixers would be a 3 team trade, with the 76ers trading their player elsewhere. Also notes that Hawes would be a better fit not Young, although it's not likely to matter. So it'll probably be a 3 team trade with "a lot of moving parts"

6. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

3-team trade between Rockets, 76ers, Celtics:

Hou. get: Hawes, Bradley, Lee, a Philly's 2nd round pick
    Philly get: Asik, Lin, a Rockets' 1st round pick, Cash from Houston
    Bos. gets: Turner, Wroton, Greg Smith

Hinkie trade players not in his plan (Hawes/Turner) for cap space in the year he'll spend big$ (2015), plus an extra 1st round pick that he needs so bad to rebuild his team. Extra cash from Houston to cover Asik/Lin's payroll next season.

Rondo is coming back from injury in a few days, why not trade Bradley for someone who will compliment Rondo better (Turner), while dump Lee's contract that they've been trying since last season. Wroton could back-up Rondo and Smith is to sweeten the deal.

Rockets line-up after the deal:
    Howard, Hawes, DMo.
    Jones, Casspi, Covington
    Parsons, Garcia, Brewer
    Harden, Lee, Brooks
    Beverley, Bradley, Canaan

i think eventually Hawes and Bradley will replace Jones/Beverley in the starting line-up later this season or next season if Hawes is re-signed back.
    DH12/Hawes will form the TT that can actually work because of Hawes' range and passing skill. Bradley and Lee will bring the tough defense in the back court that the team lacks. and switch our 1st pick in the 20s for Philly's early 2nd pick should be no big deal for Morey.

7. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

^ Nice deal except I don't think Morey is going to take on Lee's contract that runs through 2015-2016. I think we can pretty much rule out any deal taking back contracts that go beyond next year unless we are getting an all-star level player.

9. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

If Morey can obtain Avery Bradley from Ainge...I would be so happy :)

10. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

It's a good deal, but Hinkie still own Morey this time.

11. basketballholic

Here's a possible trade with Boston that might make some sense for both parties.

Asik/Lin/Smith for Green/KHump/Bogans and a couple first rounders.

From Boston's perspective, they pick up a $12 million TPE from KHump to go along with their $10 million TPE from the Paul Pierce/KG trade.

From the Rox perspective, we get a couple expiring contracts that are useful players. KHump would be a better backup 5 than anybody we got right now not named Asik.

This trade also eats up our space to the luxury tax line and it leaves us with TJones/DMo/Brewer/Casspi/Covington to combine in some shape or form for another larger expiring contract using the 125% rule and perhaps another draft pick or two. Why? Well, so that we will have maximum picks and expiring contracts at the deadline to offer up maximum salary cap relief to either the Knicks or the TWolves or possibly some other unknown team at present that is housing a max player that they want to move out if they are headed to the lottery.

All the players I mentioned are expendable in our push to get one more max contract superstar added to this team. That trade could happen at the deadline or we could continue to the end of the season and have trade assets to entice trades or sign-and-trades for superstars.

12. Swishh

Swishh Member

I don't think most people realize that Morey was planning, ever since getting Howard, to trade Asik -- even if Asik didn't demand a trade, Morey would still look to trade him since the Rockets currently aren't good enough to get to the Conference Finals and Asik is a nice trade piece.

13. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I love how Morey knows that there are so many options out there and he knows that first round draft picks are SO valuable. He is willing to sacrifice 5 wins this season (still good enough to place us top 5 and be the "anything can happen" team) for that player that could net us a championship. It sounds simple in theory, but hardly any team does it.

14. dzdvvvv

dzdvvvv New Member

15. atwood

atwood Member

Which player out of Rockets roster might be packaged together with Asik to sweet the deal? Somehow I feel Beverley might be included... Hopefully not though

16. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

yes but you have to sacrifice a little (Lee's contract) to get deals done. everyone assume Morey wants cap space to sign the next star in 2015 but i don't believe we really need that "3rd Star" to contend (see the Blazers). we have two stars and a very good 3rd option in Parsons. Hawes/Bradley/Lee will fix our immediate weakness (back-up Center, Back court/Wing defense) and we still have plenty assets left to upgrade the roster at the deadline or in the summer. i really believe that'll be good enough to contend. imo, Howard is already under-utilize playing with Harden/Parsons. let's say we save cap space to sign another All-Star PF in 2015 that everyone dream for, i really doubt Howard will be happy of his touchs.

17. torocan

torocan Member

Honestly, it's really hard to say. It depends a TON on what we're getting back.

It's quite possible that Asik goes out on his own if the returning salaries are in the $6-12M range.

It's also possible that you could see DMo, Brooks, Garcia, Beverley, Canaan, Smith or Covington if it's a smaller trade package.

If it's a really big package in a multiple team trade you could see Asik + Lin + filler, though I would expect a PG back in that package.

If you're talking a legitimate All-star or borderline All-star, then I wouldn't be surprised if you saw Asik + Parsons/Tjones, and maybe even Lin + some combination of other players. However that would have to be a massive trade to involve Asik, Lin and Tjones or Parsons.

Really, there's a ton of permutations and it really depends on WHO they're getting back and what sort of picks are involved.

Right now, I wouldn't even try to hazard a guess in terms of what Morey has up his sleeve. After all, how many of us saw the Harden trade coming? I certainly didn't. I thought for sure that OKC was going to work it out.

18. Raven

Raven Member

How many victories has the Asik fiasco cost the Rockets? He should have been traded last Summer.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Including the TT experiment, i'll say about 5-7 games.

20. Raven

Raven Member

Morey was hoping for a better deal if he waited. Let's hope he's right, because the team has paid a heavy price for it.