1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin out 2 weeks with grade one knee sprain (UPDATE: Will return vs. Portland)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thesonofsam, Nov 29, 2013.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yao actually got injured after the 12th win against NO

1 person likes this.
  2. meh

meh Contributing Member

I believe it was something like "lin stat" or something like that. But that post did appear on the first page of whatever I tried using.

Yes, but many times he uses the wrong caveat. I totally agree with him about the concept of hypothesis and using logic to form an educated opinion on the future.

But let's be honest here. When you read a post that says "Beverley is horrible on defense. He's overrated." The poster is not trying to form a hypothesis. And as someone who had taken many tests that involved hypothesis, I find it insulting to have the concept used in GARM posts.

Actually, this started because he dismissed my use of stat. Not the other way around. I was trying to use data to show that Beverley seemed to have been a good defender so far this year. And apparently someone didn't like me using this data. But he did like people who use hypothesis(without data) to argue otherwise.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8500763&postcount=585
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8501048&postcount=589

3. Rocketfan_Dave

Rocketfan_Dave Contributing Member

Thank you! There are so many people around here that don't give Yao credit for the streak. He was there for over half of it. And if I remember correctly t-Mac was actually injured during the first half of the streak. Yet every time the streak is mentioned, t-Mac seems to be the only one doing anything. If anything, the streak was testiment to the chemistry and team-ball of that great rocket team!

Rant over

Repped

4. torocan

torocan Member

First, an apology as this will be quite long...

No, I never said that. You're making up a quote or comment that I never made.

I made ONE comment regarding the misuse of a statistic that was being used to forward an argument. You then stretched that into an argument that was irrelevant to the point that I was making against the statistic...

Shall I remind you?

To which you replied...

To which I replied...

Whereupon you then switched it to an argument about Beverley, arguing that my criticism of the use of a single statistic was automatically an attack on Beverley...

Which I pointed out was not the case...

I then forwarded a Hypothesis that it was possible that Beverley's defense *could* decline with increased minutes...

Notice how I qualified that while it was possible, that it was not certain and could not be determined without sufficient data.

However, I guess that made you unhappy as your next response was...

5. Crunchyball

Crunchyball Rookie

Come on meh ! Save us from torocan , he is like an evil genuis

6. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

um wow something tells me this torocan dude is a stats professor and meh is fighting an uphill battle while he's chained to a tree. i would stop before it gets more embarrassing

7. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Tmac missed the 1st game of the streak but played in the next 21 and played as well as anyone in the league in that streak. Yao missed the second 11 but played in the first 11 or 10.

8. highlander3128

Torocan is actually Daryl Morey posting on the GARM!!!

9. Lihao

Lihao Member

that's a knock out there by Torocan , sending a clear message "don't mess with me" :grin:

10. scaramanga

scaramanga Member

Damn.... I don't know how people got so much time to compose such lengthy arguments... I'm feeling like I'm watching Kill Bill 3.

11. PatBeverleyFan

Torocan dropping the hammer lol

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

[​IMG]

MFW reading the above

13. ipuff

ipuff Member

to torocan
    [​IMG]

14. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

[​IMG]

15. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

16. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

That knockdown is like a heavyweight champion toying with a random guy on the street.

Torocan just trades a few jabs with meh for a couple of rounds, knowing full well he can deliver the knockout whenever and however he wishes ... and when the right time comes ... BAM!!!

That was embarrassing.

But meh will bounce back. He always does. No matter how many times he embarrasses himself, he'll always come back louder than ever. And yes, he'll blame this on LOFs as opposed to do some self reflection. It's always the LOFs' fault ...

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

1. Was my stat not relevant? Do you disagree that opposing eFG% is a bad stat to use for PG defense?
    2. Was my stat not mathematically sound? As in, do you believe 82games made up that stat and not actually calculated it correctly?

Okay. Then prove to me that my sample is statistically insignficant. After all. You questioned my methodologies. So provide proof. Proof that Beverley's sample size is small enough that you cannot make a valid conclusion.

If you do so, and have your conclusions validated multiple posters, I will personally donate $30 to the tipjar and write any signature you wish.

18. Lihao

Lihao Member

i'm surprise meh still going on about the opponents efg% thing after Torocan showed him the flaw of his own statement.

Patrick Beverley
    Opposing EFG% - .430, Opposing PER - 12.5
    (meh : All-NBA defense, couldn't careless if he averaged 5/2 )

Jeremy Lin
    Opposing EFG% - .432, Opposing PER - 12.3
    (meh : limited defensively , that's why demoted to bench)

:rolleyes:

btw i do think Bev is a better defender before you go on and call me delusional LOF who just want to bash Bev :cool:

19. torocan

torocan Member

Ok, personally I don't care about the tip jar, but it's nice of you to offer.

20. pnr

pnr Member

Torocan is Morey..