1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin out 2 weeks with grade one knee sprain (UPDATE: Will return vs. Portland)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thesonofsam, Nov 29, 2013.

1. zdrav

zdrav Member

Well said.

I think the problem at this point is that a lot of people have been thoroughly invested in the idea of Lin being a bad player at worst, and an unnecessary component at best. These are the same people who were jumping on the Scott Machado (LOL) bandwagon 2 summers ago.

They feel as though they can't backtrack now, even though that'd be the mature and admirable thing to do. So they try to take potshots at Lin: "Oh look, he's not a STARTER" and so forth.

It's really funny now because nobody really doubts that Lin is NBA material anymore. The real question now is whether he can be a key contributor to a championship-worthy team, and/or whether he can be an All-star candidate.

Let's not forget that this time last year, there were still lots of people who wanted to believe that he was just D-League material.

2. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

yeah, last year i wanted lin to be traded if he didn't improve. but he did get better, so i want him to stay.

3. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I don't follow your posts so maybe your good ones far outweigh your really crappy ones on this one page, but the confidence in which you think you are coming off as correct (in a debate that i am rather ambivalent about) is mind-boggling. I am almost unsure whether you actually read the posts you are quoting because you seem to already know what you want to object to (irrespective of what is written) and simply write that as a response. It's weird.

For example, torocan was just pointed out the difference between what a hypothesis is and what a statement of current situations is -- further elaborating that the former is not necessarily bashing and that the latter certainly requires backup. While hypotheses need collaborative information as well, it isn't to the same degree as stronger evidence just tends to prove your hypothesis. A statement of current situations is different -- saying Rudy Gay is an inefficient scorer is much easier to prove (one a definition of "inefficient scorer" is settled upon of course), and PROVE you can. Someone is right, someone is wrong. Saying Rudy Gay would be more efficient of a scorer if he came off the bench is a prediction. You can back that up with numbers of a few smatterings of games where he came off the bench and was more efficient, and people can discuss the reasons behind this, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are right or wrong. Torocan's post seemed to just be pointing out the difference in these two modes of thought.

Again, I don't follow many posters so I can't speak to his whole body of work, but I've read a good number of his posts in THIS thread. He seems rational, has strong logical arguments and is careful in what he says. I would know -- I'm a transactional attorney. People bashing on him are either missing the nuances of his responses or basing things off of their opinion of him from other threads. Oh, also, the example you posted of Torocan using a small sample size really was not that egregious. There had been over a month of games and he just said, based on current ratings, etc. I mean, he was comparing Lin's production then to Toney Douglas'...

Finally, why is Bev being a good defender assumed to be the null hypothesis? Scratch that question -- I don't want you to latch onto it and ignore the rest of my post only to focus on this small, somewhat unimportant add-on inquiry.

4. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Houston Rockets completed that 22-game winning streak without Yao Ming for the majority of those games.

Knicks beat Hawks in 1999 EC Semi-Finals and then beat Pacers in the ECF without Patrick Ewing. Even better, they completed the latter half of ECF finals without Larry Johnson either.

At Linsanity height, Knicks beat quality teams like Lakers with Kobe and Mavs with Dirk, without Melo.

Applying same "logic" circling around GARM for a while, Yao, Ewing, Johnson, and Melo, were never really needed. Or, maybe they could be more "effective" or "beneficial to the team" if they all came from the bench.

Disclaimer 1. I am NOT comparing Lin, a no-good scrub to all those players mention above. I was simply applying the widely accepted "logic" here.

Disclaimer 2. I said all above in the name of TEAM ONLY.

5. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

u sure you were here last year?

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Which internet are you watching? I must have missed the one where people ignore things they don't agree with.

7. hltiki

hltiki Member

This is like Irving's cross-over on Prig last night.

you aint got to do em like that kyrie...

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

So first you claim Parker had an "impressive night" against Beverley when he scored 27 points on 27 shots.

Now you claim that Parker's "not so impressive afterall" performance could be due to confounds not related to Beverley's defensive impact.

Furthermore, you bring up the fact that you study stats and are aware of sample limitations, but you thought it was fitting to use FG% as a measurement of how successful a scorer is in the game? Even when FG% is notoriously the most deceptive and misleading stat to determine scoring efficiency?

That's like looking at how much money a person has in their wallet to determine how wealthy they are.

9. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

i wasn't here last year, but just talking with friends while watching the game. they agreed. can't really argue with last year's second half and the start this season. if he keeps it up, then i have no problem with keeping him and it seems like he will because the new role suits him better.

10. PositivityDome

I think that post also works with a: "WITH NO REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE!"

11. cw3k

cw3k Member

Good post, but you have a problem: You put too much common sense in it.

12. langal

langal Contributing Member

I can't believe you mentioned Lin in the same post with Ewing, Melo, and Yao.

What an LOF.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

I know what a hypothesis is. I also know that no one bashing Beverley here is making a hypothesis. Just like no one saying "Lin sucks" last year were making a hypothesis.

If I say "Sky is purple.". And you say I'm wrong because you look up the sky and it's blue. And then I counter with "I'm making a hypothesis and you've only seen the sky for 2 seconds. Therefore you can't say I'm wrong yet." Then I'm full of bull****, not making a hypothesis.

If you truly know what a hypothesis is, then you should also know that comparing the concept of hypothesis to what's written on this message board is just stupid. It's like comparing Shakespeare to random fan-fiction on the internet.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Do you believe "Lin sucks because the league has figured him out" to be a proper hypothesis and should never be countered without a mountain of evidence?

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

torocan is basically saying that all people bashing Beverley's defense in this thread are "making a hypothesis." Do you agree with him that these people people fit the criteria for a hypothesis you're proposing?

16. langal

langal Contributing Member

League figured him out 2 seasons ago. Remember MIAMI? That was only 200 games ago. Will only be a matter of minutes before news of that game circulates around league offices.

LIN EXPOSED.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

You do realize in the existence of google, correct?

Consdering the person I'm quoting stated he has never done this, then wouldn't one rebuttal be enough? If I tell you I have never been to NY in my life, wouldn't one photograph of me in NY be enough to state I'm wrong? Or am I missing the basic concept of logic here?

18. TheTruth1

TheTruth1 Rookie

Just trade him.

Enough just trade him and we will all live with the basketball consequence. Good or bad. Just trade him.

19. joe101

joe101 Member

SAS love child.

20. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Exactly how would you structure that query?

site:clutchfans.net torocan -"sample size"

?

Honestly, I've read a lot of torocan's posts, and he does generally caveat the data he presents.

I don't understand being annoyed at someone on the site who actually backs up his comments with something, instead of the standard "this is so because duh". If the data has problems, you can actually refute it.

Some of the best conversations on the site come when two people disagree with each other and back up what they are saying, and torocan has been known to be part of those conversations. I've seen you do it too. Why not do it here?