1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

B.S. Report - Simmons and Lowe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jordnnnn, Nov 5, 2013.

1. ryebread

ryebread Member

I could see CHI trading for Lin. Who knows when DRose will play again? Who knows what type of player he'll be.

Noah is a pretty decent pnr guy so I could see it working.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

For reasons that escape my mensaness the Bulls seem loathe to actually amnesty Boozer. Won't pay him to not play? (What have they been doing much of his term with them???)

The Bulls: big market, lots of $$$. Hometown hero (tho hurt & again hurt). But treat the franchise as if they were in small market hell.

IMO no one can accurately fortell Forman and company.

3. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I think Morey would be able to pull off a McCollom, Lopez, and a 1st for Asik and a filler (Brewer?)

McCollom reminds me of what Jason Terry used to be and he would be a perfect 6th man down the line.

And then trade Lin for a defender first type of player (Shumpart?) and Houston Rocket basketball is good to go!

4. syntax error

syntax error Contributing Member

Shump? He's had more knee surgeries than he does knees.

And he's a defender who lives off only his reputation. He can't defend. He can't score. He can't dribble. He can't shoot. He can't pass.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I just want to say that when Simmons brought up Lin/Asik for Deng and ask Lowe who says no... the fact that Lowe did not say the Rockets is ridiculous.

The 1st round pick here would have to be kind of a conditional one. Which has to be worded "2 years after obligation to Bobcats (top-12 protected pick) is complete." Which right now would 99.9% likely to be in 2016.

But yes, I would take this trade if Portland offers it. I'm not sure they do, though. But it would be a fair offer IMO. The Rockets may give them back a 2nd rounder or two if they wish.

This part I don't agree with. Lin's getting minutes and producing. There's no need to trade him. Also, some combination of McCollom, Portland's 1st, plus our own picks should be more than enough to get a top shelf defender with minimal offense.

6. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Would Morey trade with Portland? Asik could probably shut down Howard in a playoff series.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I have my doubts about the amnesty, too, but in a recent interview Forman mentioned their upcoming salary cap flexibility this summer, so at least it must be in their contemplation. My guess it it depends on what the free agent market looks like by the July deadline-- they'll do it if there is someone who would realistically sign with them.

But for the moment, they can't take on additional 2014-15 salary if they want to preserve that option.

8. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Asik was terrible against dwight last year

9. Razsan

Razsan Member

You just described Pat Beverly :)
    J/K

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its a legitimate question. Right now the Rockets have to consider how they treat trades as far as helping out teams that they will potentially be competing against in the playoffs, and there is also the LaMarcus Aldridge situation (been rumored that the Summer of 2015 Morey would like to sign him in free agency).

Moving Asik to Portland could be considered sort of a conflict of interest, and doesn't upgrade the Rockets enough to justify. Of course you trade with ANYONE if it makes your team a whole heck of alot better. If the Mavs wanted to trade the Rockets Dirk... you do it.

In a Portland trade scenario, I would only consider the deal if I was taking back LMA(pipe dream currently), Lillard(pipe dream), Matthews (unlikely), and Batum (realistic) because they significantly upgrade the Rockets enough to justify making a competitor better.

-As for how much better Asik makes Portland... just look at how much better Lopez has made Portland with just his upgrade at the 5 from last year and imagine what it would be like with Asik instead. They would be much, much improved and would probably have a much more stable winning team as of now I dont really see them as being able to sustain the success they are having over the course of the season. That's the difference with Asik going to Portland... I think they could sustain success which would be huge for them. Forget Howard vs. Asik... that's a very, very minor detail of this trade to consider.

11. dobro1229

I'm not sure why anyone would actually think that Chicago would trade directly for Asik or Lin anyways. They didn't match Asik because of the balloon payment in the first place... why would they in the final (balloon) year, say.... of well NOW I dont mind taking the hit.

However if there were separate deals being made that sent out other pieces, or (most likely) a 3 team deal was made, that's when Houston really could help facilitate a deal that gets the Rockets back Deng.

If the Bulls want to be true players in the 2014 free agent class they very well can be. All they have to do is move Taj Gibson for next to nothing before this Summer, and eat the Amnesty bill for Boozer. If they do these two things they could have the ability to offer something around 20 to 22 million to a max free agent (Carmelo Anthony anyone). Noah/Melo/Butler/Rose & mid-level pickup would be pretty enticing if I was Chicago's ownership.

If the Rockets facilitate a deal to get Noah back, I'd assume any deal would have to NOT hamper their capspace situation and would likely have to HELP their capspace situation.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not that I believe they'd make these trades regardless, but even if Chicago gets Asik back, his cap number is still 8.3mil. That number was set the moment Chicago declined to match the offer.

13. Play07

Play07 Member

blazers would be one of the best teams in the west if they get asik, and morey would look like a joke for getting howard. This trade would not happen.

14. Razsan

Razsan Member

Just curious...why is Lillard a pipe dream? And how in God's name does he improve our team? He's basically Lin without a good shooting percentage.

15. dobro1229

This is true. Forgot that their cap hit would have been 5, 5, 15 if they originally would have matched. Def worth nothing.

Another thing though worth noting is how receptive they would be to the thought of moving Asik back in a backup role knowing now how he has openly been against being a back up to Howard. Unless I'm also moving Noah in a separate deal, I'd have a hard time believing they'd consider bringing back Asik even regardless of salary implications.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Edit. didn't see above posts.

17. dobro1229

Because teams that are currently in first place of the loaded Western Conference dont trade away their best perimeter player who is coming off a ROY campaign and will probably make the all-star team this year as well.

I dont want to start a S$%# storm by starting to compare anyone with everyone's favorite Jekyll/Hyde Rocket. If you think Jeremy Lin is a better player than Damien Lillard than you are entitled to your opinion and you can fight that uphill battle trying to win that argument vs. the masses that will probably think otherwise.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

lillard lin very similar players that are both proven in getting to rim and putting up big numbers on any given night.
    one plays with as a primary ball handler and has the green light to chunk up as many shots as he wants.
    one plays off the ball and has a short leash
    the times they have played vs each other, one has had outperformed the other

19. Play07

Play07 Member

EDIT
    lillard & lin are very similar players that are both proven in getting to rim and

putting up big numbers on any given night.

one plays as a primary ball handler and has the green light to chunk up as many shots as he wants to get in a rhythm all 4 quarters.

one plays off the ball and has a short leash & may not play in the 4th

the times they have played vs each other, one has still outperformed the other

20. Razsan

Razsan Member

Just going by numbers. Lillard is a 40% shooter who chucks up 16 shots a game for his 20 points per. Lin shoots 10 for his 15 per game.
    You're acting like Lillard is Russell Westbrook...he's not...he's a very good PG who may or may not be better than what we have.