1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Daily News - Shumpert being shopped for Rondo, Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Reach

Reach Member

The Rondo "assist":

Paul Pierce/Ray Allen come off a series of screens, receive a simple chest pass from Rondo, and nail the open shot. Assist for Rondo. Repeat 11 times a game. Be hailed as best passer in the league.

That's the kind of player that we really need on this team.

2. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

So if you could get Courtney Lee and Rondo would that be better?

3. Play07

Play07 Member

Check out other thread, I've explained my opinion on some of you concerns

4. Rockets0515

Rockets0515 Member

just today reports came out that Shumpert had a 2nd secret surgery on his knee this summer. NO THANK YOU

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Flip 'em Moree!

6. torocan

torocan Member

Dollar for dollar was meaningless when the Knicks were already far over the cap, and they had 3 years to make moves before going into Lin's 3rd year.

Dollar for dollar is also meaningless if their position was to build a team that was "win now".

I could go into length, but the Knicks not matching was a bonehead move from a cap and talent perspective.

The Knicks could have not only matched Lin, but still executed the exact same trade for Felton, and would have had the same roster they did last year but WITH Lin.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Haven't heard from Broussard in a while. Does he still cover the NBA or does he comment on sin exclusively nowadays?

8. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Link? Wouldn't mind reading it.

I guess the main issue on why he wouldnt be a fit is he is a true PG, how Harden will respond to that we dont know,but to me at least Harden is most effective with the ball in his hands 75% percent at the time he would need it to get his buckets. I dont think there will be a balance in there as a team.

Another thing also is Boston wouldnt just want Asik they would want Lin as well, our bench wold be significantly worse, Lin has been the teams most consistent performer in every aspect of the game. Shooting well from deep,getting buckets for his teammate, and being a good locker room guy he has accepted his role for the team and thats rare from going to starter to a new role as a 6th man.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Please no to Rondo

Rondo and Harden would be the absolute worst fit.

10. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

You be surprise that not many PGs can hit the player for the open shot. Heck Billups cant do it with Hamilton, Prince and Rasheed.

Rondo plays defense and he gets Harden the open shot. Whats not to like about that?

11. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Defenses tend to sag off Rondo and force him to beat you with his wildly inconsistent 3-pt/mid-range game, clogging the paint & closing driving/cutting lanes. He's not a good fit, schematically or chemistry-wise. Doc couldn't stand him, and almost threw down with him in the locker room on a few occasions. He's ego-driven & distant, and no matter how skilled a floor general, he'd pose problems for a young team searching for identity.

12. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Explain?

13. rserina

rserina Member

I really like Shumpert and think he would fit well in Houston. He is a great perimeter defender, he pushes the ball and finishes well in transition, and he has turned into a decent spot up shooter from the perimeter. He isn't the most efficient offensive player in the world, but he would shore up weaknesses on perimeter defense and he could play either guard spot.

But I agree that this trade has zero chance of happening right now. Morey definitely wants more for Asik than Shumpert. I suspect at this stage he would be willing to take some assets before he trades Asik straight up for lesser value. I also don't see how Asik would make sense for the Knicks. He would help them until Chandler gets back, but those two would be about as redundant as Asik and Howard. They would be much better served getting someone like Faried, who would help the backline defensively and on the glass for now, but also coexist with Chandler when the latter returns.

14. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

Asik for Shump? I would ship out Asik in half a heart beat

15. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

It makes no sense. If we ONLY look at last year, Lin played slightly below his cap hit of 8.4M while Felton was above his 4M. When both produced about the same wins, which player would you want for you team, win now or not?

You can say Lin was a better player than Felton last season, but not by much. The difference is marginal at best and CERTAINLY will not make any difference in winning or losing a championship for the Knicks last season.

16. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

rondo would be so terrible on this team

17. Akim523

Akim523 Member

And people complained about Lin can't shoot

18. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

if the knicks matched the offer sheet, it would only be a cap hit of 5mill last year... so cap hit of 4m felton vs 5m Lin, which would you prefer?

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Great perimeter defense and someone who can actually get the ball to Howard.

Yep, Rondo's a complete waste.

I'm not saying he'd be a perfect fit here but sometimes you guys...

"Yeah, but he put up those numbers in the East."

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don't know what the hell the rockets should do. I see positives and negatives with all of these deals.

I can't imagine trading Lin while he's playing like this. Not to mention chemistry issues of flipping guys. I would like to remain kind of stable this year and let it play out.

Asik really screwing up the flow. Wish he'd be a team player and play as we needed him.

But whatever.

I'm starting to lean towards trading him for a pick.

1 person likes this.