1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do any of the Houston Rockets staff/coaches/assistants read this board?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SPORTSBET, Nov 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Ok in that case, I'm Bill Finch.

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Seems like the same excuse making we see here.

3. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It would be a little helpful to give some examples. Knowing what to do and executing are two different things. Star players do what they want and this isn't anything new. Matt Bullard has told several stories about how Hakeem Olajuwon didn't bother to learn most of the offensive plays, and just posted up and demanded the ball. He flat out refused to do defensive schemes that required trapping or hedging off picks because he believed that the big man should protect the basket, and so that was what he was going to do regardless of the coaches instructions. There are stories of Kobe Bryant checking himself back into games, and stories of players having side conversations or not even paying attention to coaches as they give instuctions in the huddle. When everyone is an adult, the players make more than the coaches in most cases, and they all have guaranteed contracts, there are limits to how much control a coach can exert, especially on stars. And of course you are also going to have players that make mistakes, poor execution, ect, especially with a young team that hasn't played together that long.

So what team did he get offered a job for, and what made it garbage? If they were hiring him to do analytics wouldn't part of his job be to suggest changes if they were 2-3 years behind? What does being 2-3 years behind in analytics even mean? What are they not doing, that you and your friend are? Why would him getting offered a job with one team who allegedly is behind in their analytics mean "everyone" is 2-3 years behind?

4. JBar

JBar Rookie

That's funny. I thought you were Craig Ackerman.

5. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Seems legit.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Computers perform perfect execution, players (most of them young or not known for intelligent play) do not perform perfect.

The front office makes data available to the coaches that they either use, dont use, or supplement with traditional basketball knowledge gained through experience.

I guess to fully understand where the lapse is between what your models show as "ideal in game situations" and what the Rockets are performing, you are going to have to give some more specific examples for us to know whether the sets they are performing are the coaches error or the players.

Lastly- Keep in mind that the Rockets do employ a ton of "randomness" by design to their offensive sets. Morey has said before that this makes their offense more unpredictable and harder to guard. So offensively its going to be tough to see whether the plays they are drawing up are what is being performed correctly. On defense, you can see a little more clear cut what they are trying to execute on the drawing board, and what is actually being performed on the court by the players.

As to whether or not the coaches & Front office officials look at this site... I'm almost positive they do. Former Rockets Front office member Gerrson Rosas has been a guest on Clutch's podcast, Rockets radio home shares spot interviews with both Rockets employees and Clutch, and Clutchfans members have been guests on former Rockets.com podcasts. Clutchfans.net, and the Houston Rockets know each other very well, and have crossed paths a ton throughout the years.

The coaches on the other hand... they are probably not paying much attention to this website, nor should they. I'm sure they know about it from interacting with Clutch, and others, but I would hope they have better things to do.

#26 dobro1229, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  7. liljojo

liljojo Member

I'm not 100% sure that McHale knows how to use a computer.

1 person likes this.
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

why would they read this garbage that's in the GARM

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Seems just as whiny and the same excuse making as the LOF posts here.

10. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

11. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Um...No. Craig is way smarter and better looking than me. :)

12. BaiHua

BaiHua Member

I am Jeff Van Gundy.

Homie

13. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

If they do read this -- please do not pick up the Team Option on Lin. Let him leave.

14. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I am Spartacus.

15. Normalus

Normalus Member

David Stern there, with the bad news. I won't accept any trade that will rise this team to a contender. No Asik in trades alowed!

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This could be an execution issue, which is a problem for younger teams (the Rockets were the least-experienced team in the league last year).

What are some examples of the type of in-game situations you're thinking about?

17. ThisIsAlanR

ThisIsAlanR Member

[/IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Stardog75

Stardog75 Member

This comment is worthy of the first pos rep I've ever given. I saved myself for you all these years!

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I know for a fact that employees of the Rockets Organization are banned from getting on Clutchfans (ticket reps are my only source however). I would assume the same for people with actual information. I could be blowing dust outta my @$$ at this point as well though

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

For posting, yes. But I'm sure there are multiple lurkers among them.