1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do any of the Houston Rockets staff/coaches/assistants read this board?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SPORTSBET, Nov 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. SPORTSBET

SPORTSBET Member

hi guys,

this is my first thread here.. but i was wondering if any of the rockets staff read this board... when i mean rockets staff i mean coaches/assistant coaches.

I'm a NBA sportsbettor who does analytics and builds models, and while im familiar with the GM+owner's position on analytics i often wonder why they do such a poor job in game situations.

Fwiw, friend of mine got offered a job with the NBA as a consultant for a team but said it was pretty garbage and everyone's analytics is 2-3 years behind.

I've watched every game this season (and last) and find it weird how this team performs analytics but doesnt do all that great a job with in game situations

2. rayfantastic

rayfantastic Member

explains why mchale still has a job.

3. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Doing analytics and following what the results suggests are 2 different things.

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Just wondering, what type of software you use for building models?

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

players are not computers

6. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

But computers can help players if used properly.

7. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Two words. Kevin Mchale.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

p*rn instead of STD's/babymamas?

1 person likes this.
  9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The game is sold not told, young boy.

10. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Highly doubt any of Rockets mid to high-level personals read this board. Imagine sifting through the attic of a pack rat looking for collectibles. That's what it feels like looking for quality and UNBIASED posts in GARM.

Reddit is probably a better place to find posts by knowledgeable fans. Example on a thread on Lin.

How good is Jeremy Lin really?

Here is a good one:
    The problem with Lin so far is that his career has been mired by having to adjust to different coaches and to playing seemingly every type of PG style imaginable.
    In Golden State, his was told to work on his shooting and not to drive. Given the lack of minutes, it might be good advice but it prevented him from developing his best skill (which is why it took until now for him to learn to use his left, which he has done very well this season). Basically, they wanted him to be a traditional PG that doesn't score so they can slot him in next to Monta or Curry.
    In NY, he got to be an attacking PnR PG under D'Antoni. Then under Woodson, he became more of a tempo pusher / setup PG.
    Then last year in Houston, he was set to be a PnR PG again until they signed Harden. Then they turned him into an offball PG (think any PG in Phil Jackson's Triangle Offense except in a run & gun system - makes no sense).
    Finally this year, they decided at the END of the summer to tell him that he'd be playing as a 6th man scoring PG (think Jarett Jack but far far less usage rate). thus marginalizing his opportunities to be a playmaker.
    In his career, that means he has had to adapt and play to 5 different PG playing styles. Of which, 4 of the style changes happened in under 2 years (one summer of which was spent recovering from injury). And of which, only one style really fits him as an inexperienced player. As a 3rd year pro, I can't think of any player in any position that has had to deal with as much change as Lin. So it is expected in my opinion that Lin should not be a good decision maker at this point.
    To rant a bit, it doesn't make much sense for anyone to judge how good Lin is compared to any other PG right now because McHale hasn't decided how to use Lin. We don't know what kind of PG Lin is/can/should be. So it is unfair to compare him to other players who know their roles. I know people are annoyed at McHale for not making Lin the primary playmaker, but I personally am pissed at him for dumping Lin to 6th man and changing his role AT THE LAST SECOND. It is a sign of a terrible coach when you cannot decide before training camp what role to give to your "starting" PG. People can say what they want of the D'Antonis, Mike Browns, and Larry Browns of the world. They may not know how to best utilize all of their players but at least they implement a system and force everyone to buy in. Players know what they have to do and they go out and (try to) do it.​

1 person likes this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm Kevin McHale

12. tarzanman

tarzanman Member

Thanks. Interesting read - never looked at reddit before.

*IMHO* I cannot imagine McHale is really that dumb pushing TT, moving Lin to bench and some of the questionable in game moves. I think McHale's mostly a puppet for the organization who, we know, views everyone as an asset and therefore are trying to determine how much each asset is worth (through in game experimentation). To that end, winning may not be a high priority - as long as we make the playoffs. How else can you explain Harden's minutes (especially last game with his injuries) and the way they unceremoniously moved Lin to the bench? How can the organization as a whole allow this? By being silent the organization is guilty by association with whatever McHale does.

13. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

I doubt it, but I do think they read ESPN like the bible. ESPN said they should stagger minutes between Harden and Lin and shortly thereafter we did. ESPN says maybe PB should start and guess what...he is. ESPN should also write an article how to make the ball less sticky and how we can improve our defense.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Morey does occasionally read this board and actually has a low number of posts here. I don't know about other teams but Morey's staff does cutting edge analytics (see MIT Sloan Sports Institute). In game situations have nothing to do with analytics. I have no idea where you got that idea. Analytics is done by mathematicians. In game situations are just NBA players.

15. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

I second this.

I am Kevin McHale also.

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Probably not. They'd read ESPN, PBT, and possibly CBS sports news.

17. cdblue10

cdblue10 Member

This is a very interesting piece,I know Mchale has something to do w/ Lin's development,As what I've see even before the start of the season Lin had already improved all the facet of his game but the coaching staff was still failed to acknowledge it,I hope last night will be the last.If I'm Lin I will thank Mchale not because I like him,but because he pushed him to the edge where Lin needs to improved his all around game.The only weakness that left on his game is his TO's but other than that,he had already improved tremendously.Scoring 31 points in NBA level is hard to do especially if you did it not only once but doing it more than that,it means you're a very good player.

18. cdblue10

cdblue10 Member

So what is your point?

19. cdblue10

cdblue10 Member

For the OP's question,I'll point this to the coaching staff!

20. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Leslie Alexander here.