1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McHale: "I have two starting point guards."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KlutchQT, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Reach

Reach Member

And yet another gem from hikanoo.

2. jayland

jayland Member

That means you have to dump one of them. With Lin's massive contract, turnover issues, and defenesive liability issues, the choice is easy if possible.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Not that serious...

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

i think the call earlier had it right, the guard minutes will be loosely 36, 30, 30, I'm not sure i care who starts, i'd probably rather see bev against the good shooters though.

#184 Aleron, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  5. liveguy

liveguy Member

Talk 'em up to trade one of them along with Asik for a All-star caliber PF.

Smart move.

6. x86zibit

x86zibit Member

mchale knows both lin and beverley are just ok players, nothing special. This is just being polite to the media questions. Morey needs to trade lin and asik for a star PF ASAP, then we have 3 all stars, a very good player in chandler parsons, and all Bev needs to do is play defense, which he can. Jlin and Asik don't really fit the team as it is and are taking up valuable cap space. I bet they're both gone by next season. It's the only sensible thing. And no we don't need a "bench". In the playoffs the stars/starters gonna play 40 min anyway and rotations get shortened to 7-8 players.

7. tefunk

tefunk Member

8. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

As Mchale underutilizes Lin, why not just trade him now

i think a package for Steve Blake (one of the the best off the ball PGs in the league) and a PF like Jordan Hill makes a ton of sense

Steve has alot of success in the NBA playing on many winning teams and can be a leader for us while Hill could be the PF we are lacking

Works from a cap standpoint

9. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

What does "underutilize" mean to you? Not "starting"?

And why not turn Lin/Asik (since he for sure will be underutilized)into Pau Gasol & bring in a legit P4 instead of Hill? Also, I'm sure Dwight would love to be reunited with Pau. We don't need Blake, Bev/ABz/Canaan will do.

10. hltiki

hltiki Member

I can't speak for him, but I am assuming he means the combination of playmaking, passing, and scoring--mainly slashing, midrange, and paint attacking--is not being utilized, most notably due to Harden's superior ability in all of the stated above, except for maybe play making.

11. Fighton

Fighton Member

good link. this is the most reasonable take, imho.

Adriano Albuquerque, NBA.com Brasil: Definitely a little nervous. Jeremy Lin is not the greatest defender, and Beverley is not the most explosive or creative guy on offense. None of them seems like an ideal fit to take the court against the likes of Russell Westbrook, Chris Paul, Tony Parker and Steph Curry. Luckily for them, they have one of the best rim protectors in the league, so the Rockets don’t depend so heavily on either of them to be successful on both ends. Lin can distribute and take advantage of defensive breakdowns on the part of Houston’s opponents, and Beverley can stay in front of the ball and get under his man’s skin a little bit when needed, but most of the Rockets’ success or failure will ride on James Harden’s and Dwight Howard’s shoulders.

12. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

"Talking up" a player doesnt exist anymore. I'm pretty sure GM's have internet, league pass and a scouting staff...lol
    And thanks for your BAD GM advice, we are all better people now because of it. "Dont need a bench" haha...what??!?!

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Fair assessment. I hope we get more and more of last-game-Dwight.

14. zdrav

zdrav Member

Yeah, and Morey needs to try getting LaMarcus Aldridge or Kevin Love. Then LeBron James and Melo. And then Kobe for the bench because even if he's old, he's probably still Kobe-level for about 15 minutes a game. Also, why not put Bill Russell in a de-oldinator to get him in his prime?

15. KlutchQT

But will that leave us with enough cap space for Durant? :confused:

+ "De-oldinator" tickled me. LOL.

16. Orange1

Orange1 Member

By repalacing Lin with Harden, that works out to be the same result. Bye bye Harden.

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You have been bringing up this terrible trade for a while now. I know you love Lin, but if you love the Rockets then you wouldn't be proposing this garbage.

18. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

He doesn't love the Rockets, that's the problem. He came for Yao Ming, and came back for Jeremy Lin.

19. KlutchQT

Ahhhh. I was too lazy to go back that far, but I was wondering what the hell he talked about before Jeremy came, given how much he seems to despise everything else about the team.

20. Fighton

Fighton Member

i do think, though, based on games played so far, that lin is the best at getting easy buckets for the bigs early on the game to get them going.

i'm not talking about post entry passes where dwight/asik need to generate their own offense with any type of post game. i'm talking strictly of getting into the lane, collapsing the D, and getting the ball to the bigs through tiny opening for easy dunks.

it was obvious that this was his main goal in first quarter of most games last year, to get asik touches and get him involved with the offense early on.

if getting asik and dwight involved early on with easy buckets is a goal, then lin is better than bev at doing that. but if locking down opposing pg and get him to a rough start, then bev is better than lin at doing that.

and frankly, i have no idea what mchale would want to do.