1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something to remember about Kevin McHale for folks who don't understand the "benching" thing...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Apache

Apache Member

[​IMG]

Mchale thinkin, Cute very cute Jeremy, you think all these oversea fans gonna help you from running the 2nd unite? lol

2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I agree my opinion is beverly will get minutes (many minutes)coming off the bench. Many of those minutes will be with harden and howard.

Harden and howard arent going to play as many minutes in preseason so mchale needs a chance to get bev his reps with harden and howard.

Lin will start and bev will come off bench. Bev will have nights where he gets more minutes than lin but lin plays better with harden and howard.

Lin hopefully will get some minutes with 2nd team for additional scoring. Hopefully mchale saw that in the last game when lin was scoring with 2nd team.

I get your point OP and its true that the benching thing is overplayed ..but I truly feel its about reps for bev and limited minutes with harden and howard to get those in preseason

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Except what you are saying is not even remotely true at all.

The Rockets were not relying on ISO play with the starting lineup.

These were the points scored before the first substitution in the first quarter.

Parsons: 4 Points
    Harden: 8 points
    Beverley: 7 points
    Howard: 6 points
    Jones: 2 points

That's about as well balanced a scoring as you could get from your starting unit.

4. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

McHale tried something for one game. Lin will almost certainly start, but being a 6th man is not exactly the end of the world.

5. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

I was hoping mchale last season that he was a pop type of coach , but he is not. Pop is tough but he is not bias.

6. trock

trock Member

I think what OP says is correct, but I do think there is also a willful ignorance on McHale's part about Lin's circumstances coupled with a bit of resentment of having to answer questions about he handles Lin. McHale has reiterated that he thinks of Lin's season last year almost like his rookie season. As such, it seems he's intent on making a point to treat Lin like any second year player and no one should be surprised at him getting benched or losing minutes. All of which is completely legit from a coaching perspective and in some ways could be good for Lin's development, but it does sometimes come off a bit brusque.

I do feel for Lin, in the sense that he did not have that kind of time a promising rookie, a second year has to develop his game and earn his playing time in the traditional way before getting the ridiculous amount of scrutiny he's had to deal with. It's probably the only way he would've stayed in this league, but it's not the easiest way to establish yourself amongst competitors.

I do think it's possible though that Lin could thrive under a coach that is going to take the approach of taking it back a bit and treating him like any developing player. I mean, he already looks much better than he did last season and I suspect he's going to have a good year. I really hope it works out for him in Houston. He's an exceptional athlete and a very good basketball player. As long as they're on the same page, McHale and Lin might turn out to be a great pairing. We'll see.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Very good post, accurately describing where Kevin McHale comes from in his career and his mindset on the importance of "starting." As someone who has been in interviews with McHale, I know better than to ask him who he thinks has earned the starting spot at a certain position (like the power forward competition right now). He's not going to tell you and he doesn't care... what he cares about is who finishes the game.

The only reason a move like this would be made is to explore the best basketball decision. That's it. McHale (and just about any NBA coach) is only looking to do one thing -- win. Anyone who thinks there is some other factor is simply being ridiculous.

1 person likes this.
  8. damnbiochem

damnbiochem Member

very interesting video. He really seems like to utilize that spin-fake. I like it! I should try it myself.

9. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

McHale obviously stole all of his moves from Scola, the original

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

This

/thread
    /debate
    /bbs

11. Rox23

Rox23 Member

It's not who scores, but HOW they score.

Look, I'm a Rockets fan for eleven years running who just so happens to think JLin is a pretty darn good player and who deserves to stay with Houston until the end of his contract. That said, I have no problem with Lin running the second unit if coach's gameplan on offense this year is to have Harden run the point.

12. kcd

kcd Member

But the quote was taken out of content. He said he didn't know it was a big deal about starting in a preseason game. Has someone actually asked him if he in this career he wanted to start or come off the bench?

13. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

If this happened to any other player in the NBA there would be some talk. This would never happen Dragic, Chalmers, Felton, or Rubio, but Lin is not good enough. And we all know what the Elephant is in the room.

14. Grace33

Grace33 Member

Just like it is hard to let the rockets or some guys here to understand that sometimes it's not about what they do but HOW they do....

15. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I get it. I do. I loved Harden in OKC, Manu etc. and we also all know that Lin is not even close to those guys. My question to you is do you think Lin will close out games? The thing is it's up to McHale to decide how to run this team and he'll make the choices that he feels will be best for this team. I just happened to disagree with his seeming lack of confidence in Lin's play. I'm just complaining as a fan and in no way am I saying that being a bench player especially as a sixth man is bad. I just personally happen to think that more minutes for Lin especially with Howard out there, irregardless of Harden is a good thing.
    And for all of you guys out there: just because someone disagrees with Lin being benched or with McHales coaching ability does not mean we are one and the same as those idiots calling McHale a racist!!!!! Stop with that bs!

16. kcd

kcd Member

Agree with you.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Certainly not everyone who disagree with McHale is an irrational rabid Lin lover. But those to ascribe bad motives or idiocy onto McHale sure seem to be.

The team has two good, but not great, PGs and a reasonable coach may choose to have either of them start or finish games without being stupid or biased. Plenty of talented players have not started games and not finished games. I remember when Adelman's Kings used to have Jason Williams and later Mike Bibby starting games but Bobby Jackson finishing many close games in their stead-- doesn't mean that any of these three guys were not good valuable players. If a coach has you in the rotation, he has confidence in you and is asking you to contribute.

18. kcd

kcd Member

That quote was taken out of content. He was referring to starting in a preseason game, that he didn't know it was a big deal since it's preseason. Is there an actual quote from him about wanting to come off the bench or start when he was playing?

19. Rox23

Rox23 Member

First let me say that I like the idea of Lin coming off the bench. With the second unit Lin can be himself as a "true point guard", showcase the full range of his skills, be the focus of the offense, and will doubtless get more shot attempts (although less assists).

That said, the Rockets coaching staff has stated explicitly that the gameplan on offense this season is to have Harden play "off ball". Consider this article: http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/offensive. Were the Rockets to really mean what they say then Beverly would have to run the offense in the absence of JLin. Now, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable and confident having to pin the Rocket's entire offensive scheme on Bev's playmaking and creative (or rather uncreative) passing ability.

20. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member