1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley is starting at PG in Manila against the Pacers (UPDATED w/ CF Article)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moose, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Madclownpacasum

Being a 6th man is a major role for the team and Lin did very well on it. Lin was solid and so as Beverley as a starter

2. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Haha- 3 of us posted the same concept overall in the last few minutes.

3. kcd

kcd Member

My argument is that I don't see how Lin will play as the sixth man. A lot of those same people saying he could play as sixth man, have said he won't be closing out games as a starter, so all of a sudden as a sixth man he's going to be playing a lot of minutes and he's going to close out games, which normally a lot of sixth men do?

They also said Lin and Harden can't really play together, so he's going to end up with spotty minutes. Why pay someone 8.3 million to do that? They can find a vet PG for a lot less to play 15-20 mins to run the second unit. Utilize the cap much better.

4. kcd

kcd Member

That's what I've advocated, but it seem many others don't agree, even this site who wrote that article right after the second game.

5. grauser01

grauser01 Member

Sorry, that's McHale ;)

Everybody thinks of Lin being the important 6th man but they forget that McHale doesn't really trust Lin like Ginobili or Harden.

I think it doesn't matter if Lin plays well. As long as Beverly plays ok with the 1. unit McHale will have an explanation for the media.

I don't say that Lin should be the starter PG and that he is better than Beverly. I just want to say that this alternation is only an act to demote Lin gently. :)

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

That's why i think its enevitable Jeremy will get traded or we will at least try everything possible to trade him.

7. Grace33

Grace33 Member

I think it doesn't matter if Lin plays well. As long as Beverly plays ok with the 1. unit McHale will have an explanation for the media.

I don't say that Lin should be the starter PG and that he is better than Beverly. I just want to say that this alternation is only an act to demote Lin gently. :)[/QUOTE]

This is just how I feel about McHale after watching all the rockets game last season. :(
    He seems to try to demote Lin every chance he could have
    And promote the back up pg of Jlin, first TD(who had been traded)then PB...
    I hope I was wrong tho

8. gravityonme

gravityonme Member

I remember when people had conspiracy theories about Mchale preferring Parsons over Marcus Morris. Racism was a reason some people proposed. And, of course, Budinger was a better player. Fun times.

You're saying if Lin has the hot hand and/or plays better Mchale won't finish games with him because of trust issues? I doubt that. I sincerely do.

I'm not suggesting that Beverley is a better overall player than Lin.
    I love Lin. I want to see him on the floor all game. But he can turn the ball over and Beverley is a pest on defense and sometimes MAYBE that's something a coach likes to have in the 4th quarter. I think it's more than just an explaination from the media.

9. Grace33

Grace33 Member

I remember I saw the yutube vedio about Mchale joking about Jlin before Linsanity happened that their team only have 9 players and cannot go 5 on 5...
    That's just how he disrespect for Lin's game..
    I hope Lin will finally win his trust(not love cos it may be to much to ask)with his performance and countless effort.

10. Raven

Raven Member

Lin has 6th man written all over him. Unless he complains, loudly, no one should be surprised if he's benched.

And if Lin thrives as a 6th man, I think it will actually help his trade value.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

If I were McHale, all I would care about is winning. He just has to put up with this nonsense until the season starts.

I think I would like Lin the player/person on the same level as Parsons if not for some of his fans. I'm working on seperating the two, but y'all make it pretty hard.

12. Apache

Apache Member

In 2 years he'll be a free agent, not gonna resign.

13. kcd

kcd Member

I wish it was sooner than later.

14. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Bev won't be either, gone for a cheaper model.

15. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Lin will walk in two years and it'll be funny if Morey has to tweet that he didn't know he was that good again.

16. redrush

redrush Member

Yes. I think the result of that is he doesn't have the creativity to utilize a PG to their full potential. He appreciate a PG the plays fundamental basketball very well which speak volume for his fond of Bev. But I think he could've done a better job to incorporate the offense entirely.

His inability shows when he doesn't have a big man to go to last year; when the fast pace offense slows down he always go back to Harden ISO. No scheme or rotation for the situation but to tell your best player to get a basket. That's the reason why some of the best players does not always translate to a great coach because their natural ability solves a lot of the problem that a lesser player faces. Therefore lack the copping skill to change and invent in a more creative way instead just trying to force the issue

17. jayland

jayland Member

I wonder how Lin's ego will handle a demotion though and whether or not it will affect his play. He seems very sensitive seeing he use to complain in his dairy and cry when they stuck him on the deep end of the bench in Golden State.

18. redrush

redrush Member

I certainly hope he has grown more mature from that. To his credit he has been a class act so far. In his own words he said he was suppose be the guy who will be the center of the rebuilding process last year and that quickly changed. Then Bev enters. I am sure a part of him has to be burning with in-contentment but he surely handle it with grace. Hopefully the passiveness translate into aggressiveness on the court.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Brilliant marketing move by the NBA.

Sucker fans in by dangling Jeremy Lin, then get them hooked by watching actual basketball players. Classic bait and switch. I mean, they wouldn't want to lose all those new Asian fans when Lin is out of the league in 2 years.

20. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

well it happened last season over many games, and McHale did not give a credible answer so it is up to fans to come up with their own theories.