1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Pacers 10/10/2013 in Manila, Philippines (PRESEASON)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 7, 2013.

1. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Forget it, there will be no interview where Harden will outwardly say he is unhappy being the 6th man and wanted to start over Westbrook.

To me it's a very simple sequence of events that makes the story. But if you don't buy it, then nothing I can do. I've followed the news up and down and followed Harden all the way here. And here is the sequence that I know.

1) Debate in OKC who they can afford to keep as players
    2) Westbrook to keep or Harden to keep?
    3) Harden to start over Westbrook?
    4) Harden wants 60 mil and Sam Presti expressed that he could not afford to give that much if he needed to keep KD, WB, and Harden.
    5) Offer came to KD
    6) Offer came to WB
    7) Offer came to Harden with a little less than he asked for
    8) Harden proceeds to accept Houston's offer
    9) Then he goes on an interview about how he had 1 hr to decide

For me it's simple, if Harden had no problem playing the bench role, then there was no need to think about whether he should accept the offer from OKC or not because they are brotherhoods and a championship contender and the offer was still pretty big, just not up to what he asked for.

2. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

I can't tell if you're serious or not, but if you are, you just cemented yourself as a LOF and hence devoid of logical thought.

3. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Umm, yes. Plenty of times. When the Spurs needed a scoring punch of the bench he embraced that role and accepted to be the 6th man. He still got his minutes.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's being sarcastic.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Yeah, because the difference in what OKC offered and what he could have gotten in the market is miniscule right?

6. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

This.

Let's roll the clock back and assume the Rockets traded Lin (plus Asik, TJ, DMo, whoever) for CP3. First game against the Pelicans the Rockets would do at least as well with CP3, Dwight, Parsons, and Harden as they did with Lin in the lineup. Second unit would probably be just as flat.

You think McHale is going to say "maybe I should start Bev over CP3. CP3 will add a spark to the second unit, he's a better playmaker than Bev and will get everyone involved." Not a chance in hell.

Lin didn't start because he just isn't good enough to hold down the starting role. The talents he does have, playmaking, dribble penetration, passing are all valuable with the current unit and make them play better as a group. But a true starting PG would not be in that role.

7. autoprt

autoprt Member

in terms of ego vs. effectiveness i say let lin come off the bench and forget the ego this way he can just play almost as many minutes as a starter as he did today and any blame falls on beverly. also i like the fact that lin gets to play his game as the leader on the floor with no expectations as that is what happened previously. i say his game is much better now than it was a year ago. also it's about the team and i think beverly matches up better with the leagues quicker pg's

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Lin fans just have to accept the fact that while Lin is a good player, he's not the best player on the team. When Chris Paul was momentarily available, Morey almost traded Lin away.

Players and their fans should have honest assessments of their skillset and recognize how the game (and business) works.

This debate is actually making the GARM less enjoyable to follow. Will it be two years in a row?

9. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

I am sure CP3 would mind playing behind Beverley for the sake of the team.:)

10. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

The TEAM was just great today. Dwight Howard is a monster as advertised.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Damn really was looking forward to watching the game, sucks that it was at 6AM.

12. allaroundplayer

I thought Mchale almost did a favor to Lin by not starting him since it took the pressure off of him to perform well. It seemed to work and he had a good game. Not starting in Taiwan would be something else because that is where he is the most popular. I would definitely object to that, but Lin is starting in Taiwan.

On a permanent basis, if Beverley is going to be the starter I agree that is not the best thing for Howard. For sure, Harden does not want to be Howard's set-up man, so they will have to find another way for him to get easy baskets.

13. autoprt

autoprt Member

at first i used to let it get to me. then i learned it's all in how you look at it..just shake your head and just don't comment on it. i think after a while if people stop commenting on some of the posts that are obviously written to get a response the posters will eventually (i think) get the message.

14. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Holy ****, I have never seen sooo many people make such rash generalizations based on a one to two game sample (especially preseason). Lin clearly better than Bev, Bev better with starters, Lin better with 2nd unit, Lin better with starters, Harden doesn't want to set up howard, blah blah blah...its one game.

Let McHale experiment, lets see our win total in the first 10-15 regular season games and than start burning jerseys if you want...but what am I saying, this will never happen...

15. autoprt

autoprt Member

agreed, mchale said in the press conference today he was going to alternate starting pg's to see how it works. the worse that can happen is the team wins more games.

16. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

not sure if posted.

blaiyan's highlights of the game.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XsE7vSEztgw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. joe101

joe101 Member

Duh! CP3 is an established superstar. But if we rolled back the clock we wouldn't be reading your post! :grin:

18. muas2010

muas2010 Member

I don't know you guys, but Lin playing with the 2nd unit is so much fun to watch.:grin:

19. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

I missed the beginning of the game.
    Thank you for posting, great highlights and very exciting game indeed.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yup love the way they dominated the Pacer's 2nd unit

almost the same as how our starters dominated the Pacer's starters