1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons causes Magic Johnson to leave ESPN

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by VBG, Oct 10, 2013.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I don't like that Wilbon is leaving (I like him a lot), but if it means getting rid of Magic...oh well I guess. Magic is awful, and I've never heard of someone more biased towards one team on a national stage. Blahblahblahhblah Lakers...I'm magic...who gives a ****?

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

also another note-

Why are ESPN/mainstream "analysts" so afraid to talk about the salary cap, and trades?

Its one of the things that makes casual NBA fans turn into fanatics, and is by far the most intriguing sport to follow because of this. Every fan of a mediocre team is one major trade away from being a contender. Let people talk about this a little bit.

Why do traditional NBA guys quickly change the conversation or squash any topic that comes up involving trades on air?? Like they are afraid they are going to offend somebody. I bet actual NBA players joke and talk about it openly more than these stiffs do.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Magic sucked, but so does Jalen Rose...

Scott Van Pelt? Meh. Russillo or Dan LeBatard, even, would be fine with me, though.

I like Doris Burke. Much better than Wilbon. Doug Collins is alright.

Oh god, please no. Chery Miller is the worst.

Well, second worst. The worst would be Reggie. :)

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Getting Scott Van Pelt to host the ESPN NBA show would be the main catalyst to taking the show to another level.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Cari Champion takes a back seat to no one when it comes to stupid homerism.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Van Chancelor
    Bill Simmons
    Doris Burke (hosting)
    Chris Webber

7. Indaface

Indaface Member

I love the idea of SVP as the main host. Get rid of the rotating host garbage and have a good solid tv personality as the host.

1 person likes this.
  8. Raven

Raven Member

9. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Magic was a potato on that show

everytime it was his turn to talk i just tuned him out

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You valued Magic's opinion on.... what exactly?.... besides the Lakers.

11. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I like Doris' knowledge base. I just don't like how she won't stop.

12. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Huh? Doris Burke is an excellent analyst. She'll add more to the show than Magic ever did. By default, really.

13. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Because they don't know anything about it, that's why.

"They really need to find a good low post scorer to put them over the top."

Well ... how? From where? Who's available? How would it work trade/cap-wise?

I'm not Simmons' biggest fan, but he's the only one in that rotating cast of names (Wilbon, Broussard, Barry, Magic, Jalen, Adande) that seems to have a passing idea of how transactions work.

14. Marteen

Marteen Member

My dream team halftime show:

Charles Barkley
    Stan Van Gundy
    Kenny Smith
    Stephen A. Smith

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Clearly I am in the minority, but I value Magic's opinion on b'ball over Bill Simmons' way, way, wayyyyyyyy more.

Well, whatever your opinion, it seems a fact that the show will be getting whiter.

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I can't see why someone would value Magic's opinion on anything including the Lakers....he is far too tied into the Lakers and would not say anything bad about them ever.

Awesome awesome player, I had the privilege of watching him play before youtube, but as a commentator he is garbage...just like Clyde.

You know, I probably shouldnt say that...at least I have heard Clyde admit the Rockets need to do more to win big....I dont think Magic could admit the Lakers did something wrong to save his life.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It would be fun to watch this type of crew Kelly Dwyer, Bill Simmons, Kenny Smith, and Jeff Van Gundy go at it.

The basketball knowledge pinnacle of sportscasting. Would definitely be entertaining as hell, even if it never happens.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I like the 1st 3, but not SAS. He never shuts up and never has anything interesting to say

19. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

I want to punch Bill Simmon's face everytime I see it, don't know why.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Agreed. I still remember when Rockets had a game on ESPN when the Rockets were absolutely terrible. Of course ESPN trotted out what they thought was the D team. Doris was a part of that team. Even though the play-by-play was terrible from the other guy, she knew her stuff and that's saying something when it comes to coverage of the Rockets back then (and now, still).

She may not be a star (probably because she isn't as attractive as her female peers), but she is a welcome addition to show that nuts all over the big market teams and ****s on everyone else.