1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley is starting at PG in Manila against the Pacers (UPDATED w/ CF Article)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moose, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

That was already known. When both Lin and Harden are sitting, the scoring drops off, and the flow of the game suffers dramatically.

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

When Asik and Garcia are back in business, we are gonna be TOUGH.

3. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

You're throwing harden and lin into the same category. The scoring will drop off when harden is out the game period. On nights when lin had bad nights and BEV came in for him, he gave that spark to the offense.

Thats how the whole idea of Lin leading the bench started last season, people started to realize beverly was a better fit for our starting team and Lin could lead the second team. It's all about who fits in this position, not whos more skilled

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

It's not really trolling when McHale does it, it's more like douche-maundering! I think he has a sixth sense for it, and through trial and error has mastered it beautifully.....:eek:

5. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I am one Lin fan who always thought that Lin should play with the 2nd Unit because frankly, the 2nd Unit needs a player like Lin more than the 1st Unit. This is not to say that I believe the 1st Unit will be better with Bev starting. What I am saying is that overall the Rockets will be able to maintain a high level of play throughout the entire game with Lin leading the 2nd Unit. I think Lin will still play 30 plus minutes per game though. I think Rockets coaches got this idea when they observed 2nd Unit beating 1st Unit during practice with Lin leading 2nd Unit. You guys may disagree with me, but Lin has an uncanny ability to make average NBA players play better as a unit. I think this is his greatest ability.

1 person likes this.
  6. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I should have said that Mchale does not like the way Lin plays. He has said this a few times. I watch his interviews as he is the boss and you can pick up whats on his mind. He make the 29 points and 9 turnover remark after the Nets game, and he was very irritated at Jeremy. He also spoke with controlled anger when he spoke about Lin waving Asik off of the Pick and Role at the end of the Spurs game. Jeremy then lost the ball and the Rockets lost in overtime. Jeremy's game was excellent up until that point, but Mchale had only critisizm. Jeremy also related that McHale asked him why he wears a bandage and puts ice on the knee that was operated on. Lin said he replied that he does not want to be a cripple like Him (McHale). Lin then giggled. He knew he dissed his coach. Bad move to say to your boss. What he said to Mchale was fighting words. I believe there is no love lost between them. Mchale also seems to interact better with most other players on the team. Watch the bench and the interactions between the players , the other players, and Mchale. It's very interesting and telling. That's how we know that Lin and Parsons are best buddies.

7. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I've heard him say Lin had a very good season last season and ineffect it was his 1st real season as a starter. I think you have a case of selective hearing.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Disrespectful? How is it disrespectful?

It is simple, McHale believes that Lin and Beverley both are good players and he is not sure whom is better. We are not talking about the McHale benching Howard or Harden. Lin was the Rockets 4th best starter last year, and our top back up was a rookie at the point guard position. It makes perfect sense to alternate them and see how it plays out. It is possible that Lin becomes a 6th man and thrives there, just like it is possible that Lin emerges as a starter.

Lin isn't an all star calibur player, and Beverley is not a scrub bench players. I see nothing wrong with rotating them in the pre season.

As far as pissing off "Asians", who really cares. McHale's job is to win and get the most out of his team. He doesn't care if "Asians" or blacks or caucasians or any other group is upset.

1 person likes this.
  9. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Hm, so if Lin plays well the coaches will think the 2nd unit is good for Lin, and he plays poorly the coaches will think Lin is not cut out for the 1st unit? Only way I see Lin getting out of this with his job is if Beverly plays poorly.

10. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

In a perfect world that would be case. That won't be how the media interprets it though (nor all of Bev's fans here who will just say he's outright better than Lin is).

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

WOW....the first few pages of this thread are gold.....some of you are insane.

2 people like this.
  12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The entire team played great defensively LOL

The 2 unit played like sh** on the defensive side, only one that played solid D on the 2nd unit was Bev in our 1st pre season game.

13. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

what else is new? lol

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Reading too deep, wait until after game 20 then let me know about the usage rate and stats.

15. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LMAO. The simplicity of this gave me a good giggle.

16. torocan

torocan Member

To be fair, you also have to remember that the 2nd unit doesn't have Asik, and the Pelicans 2nd unit is nowhere near the quality of their 1st unit. Heck, the Pelicans 2nd unit isn't even near the quality of Indiana's 2nd unit.

Houston's 2nd unit would look very different without 5 players including Asik on the injury list.

17. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

It's all about what's best for the TEAM. What rotation helps the team win games. Not about who is starting.

Signed Manu G

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The point is that Lin didn't play any less in this game than he would have if he was starting. Fans who paid to see Lin play got what they wanted.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's almost funny to watch the LOF's get their panties in a twist. "McHale hates Lin" was probably the best one.

Pre-season experimentation, that's it.

Lin will probably play better with the second unit anyway. Tough to say, since Asik is still out (I think?)...not that Asik will be a backup (ahem ;) right, Daryl? right? ;))

I'll give McHale credit: I didn't think he'd do this for these games in Asia, where the fans will show up to see, in this order:

1. Lin
    2. Lin
    3. Something different and exciting
    4. Howard
    5. NBA games
    6. Lin

20. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

And us fans of Bev who know he's a better player and deserves a bigger role got to see what we wanted. Everybody's happy and Lin's even smiling on the bench. :grin: