1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Donatas Motiejunas works out with Hakeem Olajuwon (Video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 29, 2013.

1. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Dmo is going to shut all you haters up.

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

How good is his short range shot?

[​IMG]

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Thank you Clutch! My god D-Mo is fast. I don't know if I have ever seen a faster seven footer. I hope the Rockets figure out how to use that post play.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden practiced the same move. Either of the players spins like that, we are looking forward to some fluid offense

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Well if a seven footer like D-Mo is even in the same neighborhood of the best SG in the NBA on the spin move he probably will be an impact player. To say the least.

I tried to get an accurate time for D-Mos spin move, but I do not have even decent video editing software. At its fastest it looked like ~750 ms. Holy shemoly.

6. JBar

JBar Rookie

But how many of those 66 out 106 were on fast breaks? There has never been any debate about D-Mo running the floor well for a seven footer. The question is how good of a low-post player was he last year.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Just searching the video from last season maybe 10%?

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, he's fast, but frequently looks out of control. He needs to slow things down a bit and get some consistency. Once he's consistent with his moves, then he can ramp it back up, IMHO.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Maybe its just me (hold the sarcasm), but I feel like even from the short minute long video clips that D-Mo has really picked things up pretty quick in two small sessions. He's holding the ball in tighter, and reacting faster to Hakeem's counter moves.

Look, D-Mo's not getting on the court any quicker because of Dream's sessions. I get it...Its like learning Calculus before Algebra. I realize he's jumping ahead of the game, and it's still more important for him to be learning the basics from someone like Dawson, and work on his core strength & lower body first and foremost.

That being said, I'm very excited for this kids future.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

DMo is the only big who can spin as fast as Dream. If only he could be as controlled as Dream...

BTW, DMo needs to learn some defense too.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

1: All you need to know about calculus can be summed up in one hand written sheet. All three college courses. Differential equations only needs about 7 or 8 lines. Abstract algebra and advanced statistics are not so simple.
    2: Whoever earns the starting PF spot for Houston this season (and believe me none of LMA, Love, Bosch etc. are going to be showing up soon) will play adequate defense and shoot as close as possible to 35% from beyond the three point line.
    3: D-Mo is exceptionally fast. Like PG fast in his moves. Next season he may be executing that spin move before the defender can even react. Is that good or bad? I do not know. Probably bad.
    4: D-Mo is an exceptionally quick student. His improvement from session one to session two was remarkable. He is putting in significant training time.
    5 D-Mo looks massive. He dwarfs the Dream in height and weight. Can he now be pushed around on the court? Probably not by mid-season. Having watched every game he has played in over the last two years I can tell you that he has a bad disposition on the court. He is not above Stockton level tactics. It will only improve as he gets older.

12. alX

alX Member

yeah, but these keyboard ballers know it all.
    and here in america, every one thinks they're an expert.
    i don't know why i torture myself by reading on. i guess, sociologically, i'm dumbfounded by what i see.
    i'm here to watch this guru offer his help to those who have earned the right for it.
    i love basketball and loved to play it when i was younger, but talking about sports and listening to the fanatics and talking heads is so trivial.
    that is why these players and coaches look so awkward and hate these stupid (and predictable) halftime and postgame media questions. it is all dictated on the court. the competition said it all.
    it's like talking about music. it's pointless.
    music expresses itself. no need to discuss it further. you have something to say about it?
    then write some music of your own to join the real conversation.
    as for sports? let the players train and compete. there is nothing you can say (at your level) that will affect their performance.
    i respect these athletes too much to critique them whilst in training/practice.
    just wish these guys a healthy and successful season/career, then get some sleep so you're well rested for YOUR real jobs.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Sentences begin with a capital letter. If you do not follow this simple grammatical rule your post is unreadable after the first two sentences.

14. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

This is such a strange thread, I really don't understand all of the hate or negativity towards Dmo.

Sure his D needs to improve and he needs to be able to hold his position better in the low post

But

To say that Dmo isn't good at scoring in the low post is just ridiculous. Anybody that watched him play last year could easily see that when he got the ball in the low post he was very effective.

Give the guy a chance, I think if he can hit the three that he will be the starter. Like him or not he has a lot of athletic ability for a 7 footer, you don't see many people his size move that well.

I can't wait until Saturday.

15. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

In post ups, it doesn't matter how fast you are, it's all about core strength, footwork, and body control.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I really hope he does because it would definitely benefit the Rockets.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

DMo had two pre-draft workout videos in Treviso, Italy just like these: one horrible session followed by a very good one. He's still a bit off balance in the second video, but I think he's got the most potential to learn from Dream. He's quick, long, and already has some natural ability in the post. Honestly, I could watch Dream coach all day.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't think he's very coachable. You can see it in the Hakeem video. Hakeem showed him how he wants him to dribble and spin, and he doesn't do it. So Hakeem takes him to half court to do a drill where he bounces the ball spins and than does it again to cross the court, and DMO keeps dribbling the ball the whole time.

Dmo wants to do things his way, he's hard to coach. And that's a very dangerous quality for a player. I don't think he's going to really succeed. His personality is too resistant. He doesn't realize it though.

19. nobie

nobie Member

thats bull****, he was trying to do that move first time ever. He even mentioned himself, that he though Hakeem was normal center (he never saw Hakeem vids), and then he saw Hakeem spin and move and he was like "holy ****". In second clip u clearly see that Dmo is doing loads better and pretty much trying to emulate Hakeem moves.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He was 18/28 on post ups, 20/29 on cuts, 6/12 on offensive rebounds according to mysynergysports.com.