1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you support the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by OlajuwonFan81, Sep 23, 2013.

Tags:
?

Do you support Obamacare?

1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. No

47 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

This is a poll.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No, I think we should have had a single payer system.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I will go one step further. Everyone should be able to buy medicare coverage.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Medicare is a step backwards from Single Payer. Medicare for all is akin to the public option that was being floated around during the health care debate. Medicare still has copays, deductibles, etc.. like regular insurance.

A single payer is a Canadian/European single payer entity run by the federal government that ensures all citizens.

5. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

you guys want your government care that's fine. Im happy paying for my private insurance, even though my price just went up 40% from $180/month to $280/month I'm thrilled with my blue cross blue shield service and I don't mind the $2500 deductible bc again i can afford it.

I want nothing to do with the government handling my healthcare. Ive seen social security lines, ive seen food stamp lines, and ive seen lines at the DMV I want nothing to do with the government. I will give those guys my taxes but please stay out of my life

6. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

You do realize that those same health care coverages such as blue shield are still available even if you buy it through the govt exchange. The only difference is if you don't make a certain amount of money over the federal poverty level you will get govt subsidies.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am really looking forward to it. I haven't had health care in a few years since my cobra ran out. Regular coverage was too much at $700/mo. So once Obama Care comes into play here in NY, I am going to have to see what the rates are. Just one more week!

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

So you're a poor?

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is your brain on troll.

10. dmc89

dmc89 Member

PPACA is a watered-down compromise when we should have had single-payer health care. I wasn't thrilled, but I'll take it. Baby steps to an eventual goal like Taiwan's system (not Canada or the UK which ignorant people like to criticize and whose flaws are often exaggerated).

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

nope. I am an entrepreneur. you would not understand how hard it is to pay for things like health insurance when you are don't make a lot of money off your business.

I receive 0 in gov't assistance.

Many entrepreneurs, freelancers, and non-traditional / self-employed fields are very excited about this because it makes health care accessible.

You may think that $700/mo is not much, but when you are paying over $2k in rent and live in NYC every bit helps. Not all of us are super rich like you and sit there and look down on the middle class.

1 person likes this.
  12. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

maybe you shouldn't be an entrepreneur if you're not making money. I am an entrepreneur and own a ton of ATM machines all over the city and I make well over 6 figures and if I didn't make good money I wouldn't be an entrepreneur.

You're basically not turning an income high enough to pay $280/month? That's what my 80/20 plan is and I have a $2500 deductible bc i rarely go to the doctor. Most small business owners top $100k in income otherwise it's cheaper to shut the doors and go get a normal job somewhere without the risk or headache.

13. Major

Major Member

Have you considered that insurance costs a different amount for different people? Specifically, people in New York pay a hell of a lot more than those in Texas.

This isn't remotely true.

Most small businesses are lifestyle businesses. That is, people are self-employed because of the benefits in terms of their personal lifestyle choices rather than making a ton of money.

14. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Even if it's double....if you can't afford $500/month you need to think about a new line of work. You run a small business and take capital risk and risk of failure to make big bucks, not to just get by. I know tons of small business owners from what I do with the ATMs and I honestly don't know 1 gas station owner or nightclub owner who makes less than $200k per location. Hell my ATMs are stagnant and they make $200-800/month so I imagine the gas stations and nightclubs they're in are cash cows.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

He lives in New York which has the highest health insurance premiums in the US. Health insurance is crazy over there.

Ironically New York represents what Republicans "proposed" as their alternative to the ACA. New York bans discrimination based on pre-existing conditions but DOES NOT have a mandate that requires everyone to purchase health insurance. This is what the Republicans were proposing when pressed to present an alternative to the ACA.

Yet New York's legislation sent premiums through the roof because sick people were buying insurance since they obviously stood to gain from it while healthy people didn't enroll. The result was that premiums skyrocketed because the insurance rolls were disproportionately filled with people with pre-existing conditions.

The ACA is projected to significantly lower costs in New York because of the individual mandate. So if I were in his position, I too would be giddy about the possibility of buying affordable health coverage.

Not every state is the same. When I lived in North Dakota I paid $200 a month for a $200 deductible with no network. (with insurance covering 90% of services, while I paid 10%) All of that was on a non-employer plan that had no network. (I could go to any hospital in the country and I was covered)

Someone in New York could only dream of a plan like that but the fact is that each state is different. (But if you can find a way to claim residency in North Dakota, you can get some sick health insurance on the individual market)

16. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Look the thing people don't get with health costs is why they're so high. I have a family friend who sat me down and explained it to me when I asked why health costs were so high.

He told me how he, a cardiologist, invented a device that he has patents for and he told me the cost of production and testing on the device was around $65M dollars in the mid 90s, so to get the funding needed he did plenty of VC pitches and finally Merck invested in him and all along the way they helped him with money and expertise, that all costs money. If Merck invests $65M in a device, how do you think they get that money back he said? America is where all the technological growth in medicine is coming from and that growth costs money to create so the people investing in this tech have to recoup costs.

He said he had someone ask him why a heart procedure cost $50K to their insurance, he said he told them,"what's your time worth? I just gave you another 20 years of life, you'd be dead without this procedure"

You want the best doctors you've gotta pay for it, the best athletes get top dollar, the best musicians get top dollar, why shouldn't the best doctors get what they command? The best docs save lives, is there alot of fluff, sure but these guys invest 10 years in college, then hours of residency and fellowship, they accumulate hundreds of thousands of student debt......they deserve every dollar they get.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I guess I am confused - how is owning ATM machines being an entrepreneur? Do you know what it is?

I created a new business. I've been working on it for years. I'm not trying to make $100k a year. I was doing much more than that in a job. I am trying to create something much bigger. Not every business makes money from day 1. have you ever heard of a break-even analysis?

There are many doc appoints I have put off because of the lack of health care. I pay for everything out of pocket, so that limits things I can do. Let get treatment for my back. Of PT for me arthritic knee. $280 a month might get catastrophic coverage but that is not what I am looking for. That's really not health insurance. Not the kind you actually use.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Except it's not the doctors fee that account for most of the costs of health care. It's not even the medical devices. It's not even pharma. Do you know where most of the money actually goes?

19. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Well there was a big company paying my dad and his brother $100/month per location and they were too busy making money from the gas stations that they never cared. I looked into the operation and realized how bad they were getting hosed, I now pay them $200/month per location and profit the rest which turned out to be significant. I added almost 30 more locations on my own through networking. I don't know how old you are but i turn 30 this year and my coverage is $280/month with a huge deductible....my choice bc i rarely go to the doc.

I suppose I didn't reinvent the wheel but I landed new contracts, I go to every location twice a week to add new cash, and I have a roadmap to expansion. I'm in the process of buying a 12 unit multi-family in montrose on my own using my own 20% down and I'd like to build a real estate empire one day using my expanding ATM business to finance it. To not call me an entrepreneur just bc i didn't invent something is silly.

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Yeah and I deserve to recieve medical care that won't cost my family and mine's life savings.