1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Matt Shaub Elite?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by babyface44, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yeah and he was looking for a huge payday from the Texans after that. Maybe he's still bitter.

2. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Please close this thread.

3. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

So far our O-line issues have been at LG and RT. Myers has also been blown by in rushing situations, but I relate that more of him trying to help Smith anchor the left side more.

Wade Smith is just plain garbage now and is why I was so upset that Quessenberry was IR'd. Quess is our future LG and it was important for him to get reps this season or to unseat Wade entirely at some point this year.

Newton is clearly still learning and he's doing well in the run game, but his footwork and strength are lacking when it comes to pass pro. He's over compensating early and either getting beat inside quickly, or being pushed from the outside right into Schaub.

Duane will fix his early gaffes and Brooks is looking good. Myers is trying to hold his own but with Wade getting manhandled he can only do so much.

As far as opposing offenses throwing on us a ton, it all comes down to pass rush. We've got three maybe four proven pash rushers in Watt, Smith, Cush, and Mays, but everyone else is young or not stepping up.

Brooks isn't getting pressure fast enough or when he gets around the tackles he's always falling. Whitney I think will do better, he just needs to play the run better. We've got no rotation for OLB going and I think that's a mistake. They need to get Willie and Montgomery in there to shake the O-line up.

They need to really practice on getting off blocks and pressuring the tackles from the inside instead of trying to go around them. You're DE's should not be getting to the QB faster than your OLB, and right now that's the issue. And the main way to fix that problem is rushing inside of the tackles, not around the outside.

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

Does Quess have more upside than Ben Jones, or is Jones the eventual center replacement? Do you think Newton will develop similar to Duane (ala sucking early but coming on later)?

5. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Logic fail. People are taking the reasoned approach and saying that the Titans and Chargers may be better than people expected this year (also, the Chargers went 7-9 last year, not 2-14). It doesn't fit your narrative of the Texans underperforming and sucking, so you resort to strawman arguments, attacks, and unreasonable assertions about teams we know very little about.

Schaub is outside the elite category, but still very solid. He's shown improvement under pressure this year. Beyond that, there's absolutely no way we'll find a better replacement in the near future, so he's what we're stuck with for the time being.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Ward explains his tweets on 610 Mad Radio today (Meltser/Payne) and also his take on Foster/Tate:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/09/17/schaub-doesnt-have-elis-will-to-win/

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Heard Ward's ridiculous interview.

Highlights:

Unlike Schaub, Eli doesn't get upset on the field when a bad play happens. You'll never see Eli have a bad reaction on the field.

LOL WUT

Unlike Schaub, when Eli was with the Giants nobody questions whether he could lead the team to a title. Everyone knew from day one he had the "will to win."

LOL WUT (See Barber, Tiki)

The Giants never had the talent the Texans have on offense or defense.

LOL WUT

Owen Daniels is the best tight end in football

LOL WUT

The interview was ridiculous. I don't know if Matt Schaub will win a superbowl or not, but Ward's reasoning was horrible. He basically believes the Giants were a team that wasn't very talented that won a SB because they just "knew how to win." Despite the fact that by his own admission they had three guys who could rush for 1000 yards, had a dominant defensive line, had multiple quality wide receivers, etc. etc.

Joke.

8. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

The Titans beat the Steelers
    The Chargers beat the Eagles...!!!!:confused:

9. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

Oh that is good! Never seen Kubiak yell like that, and Schaub does look like Gomer Pyle.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Basically, we are stuck with Schaub and Kubiak. McNair owns the team and loves them. They are not the best available, but McNair is going play out his hand with these two. We can gripe, complain, indulge in wishful thinking, whatever, but this is it. We either go all the way with these two or not, because they are not going anywhere. Disappointing? Yes. Is it possible they can lead the team into the Super Bowl. Yes. Is it likely? No. But it is what it is. I have decided to just enjoy game by game. Do I have a load of confidence in Schaub or Kubiak. No. But it is still fun. There is hope. There is a chance. Some teams, you know, the season is futile from day one. At least we are not one of those. I would really like to see the defense become more dominant. I love great defense. That might take us to the big one.

12. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

By his size alone, Quess projects as a Tackle not a Guard, but his athleticism and strength help him tremendously at the LG position. His only issue will be getting low enough to get up under D-linemen so he doesn't get pushed off balance

Ben Jones just simply hasn't got what it takes to play guard, and I don't know why they are wasting time in his development. He doesn't have long arms, the strength, or the athleticism to play guard. He's an ideal center and I think he could be a very good one. I believe he projects out to be better than Myers. Hell he was better than Myers coming out of college. Myers was a 6th rounder that no one thought would amount to mcuh. Jones was rather highly touted.

It's possible Newton just needs more time. Like I said, he's been rather good in the run game, but when it comes to pass pro he's having trouble.

He's either dropping back too far in anticipation for the outside rush and is getting countered inside with speed rushes. When he isn't doing that he's getting rushed from the outside and getting turned around and is either pushed into Schaub or he gets pancaked as he's over powered.

He needs to get more mentally sound as far as being ready for all types of rushes and perfecting his footwork so he has a much more firm foundation so he can better counter power rushers. That should all come with time, but you mush put it all together as well.

We shall only see. He does have people pushing him for his job however, and that will only be better for hi as well as the team.

13. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't mind eating crow if I'm wrong but don't be surprise if the Texans look to draft a QB this upcoming 2014 draft. Schaub is great at managing a game but can he win you a game? So far this year he's been able to win by throwing the ball while we are down. I will give him his credit, but I think they'll look to draft a QB. The NFL is changing.

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Lol, you already asked your own question, also he won the game against Denver last year too.
    and the texans would have won in reguation if bullock doesnt miss all those kicks.

and btw, Schaub would have been blamed for the loss, if the Titans get the ball first in OT and score a TD, saying he isnt clutch, but he drove the team in the last minutes to put the texans in a good FG situation, but Bullock missed.

and thats what happened with Kris Brown, and in 2010 with that terrible defense.

and why do the Texans would draft a QB? they have been polishing Yates and Keenum so one can be the future of the texans, why waste another pick in the next draft?

15. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just feel like they will draft a QB and as I said I don't mind eating crow come draft time.

Are you completely sold on either Yates or Keenum?

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Sure, maybe we can say there are better coaches available (Cowher)...what better QB is available?

We're not sticking with Schaub bc we refuse to give up on him...we're sticking with him because there are no better options.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

18. Lin On Me

Lin On Me Member

Schaub has patience and class, but he doesn't have an elite QB arm.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Matt Schaub has elite accuracy, elite vision, elite arm strength, and elite mobility. And he has elite clutchness.

[/thread]

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nope, never has been, never will be.

That does not mean he is not good, because he is, he is just not a great QB.

Just my Op.

DD