1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peyton chose us and we turned him down

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Chef_Monteur, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Yet, it appears that the Broncos will finish with a stronger season than us for the second year in a row. Why did we turn him down? He picked first.

:confused::confused::confused:

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Texans fans, as a whole, need to get over this.

3. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Wouldn't it have been extremely difficult for us to fit him within the cap?

4. thething

thething Contributing Member

We could have worked it out. He would have been worth it.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1) There is nothing behind this rumor other than an article that said he was interested in us. He never said he wanted to play here.

2) The whole idea that we could sign him was based on the notion that he wasn't looking for a big contract, just a winner. He ended up signing with the team with the most salary cap space for a HUGE deal.

3) We could not have fit the contract he got from Denver under our salary cap. I'm normally the guy saying you can make things happen under the cap, but not THAT contract THAT year. Cutting Schaub would have cleared almost no space because of the way he was structured.

We never turned Peyton down and even if ownership preferred him to Schaub, we couldn't have afforded.

With all that said, why does anyone who bashes Schaub cry about not having Peyton? Is there a QB with a worse "big game" track record than Manning?

1 person likes this.
  6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

some people refuse to believe the NFL isn't madden. Peyton says he wanted to play for the Texans? well, it's a done deal salary cap be damned. Adrian Peterson too? just call up Minny and trade them Shilo Keo. :rolleyes:

7. liljojo

liljojo Member

Tony Romo?

8. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

If Peyton signs here, say goodbye to Cushing or Watt, possibly both.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Jesus, we have some really idiotic fans that post in this section. Two exciting wins in a row and this is the thread you start? Just stop

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Peyton picked us, first? Haven't heard that one before. Link?

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you hate this team so much. why do you care? these last two weeks must be brutal for you. you root for your own team to lose because they didn't sign peyton manning. then the texans snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. lol.

12. conquistador#11

isn't the goal to win a superbowl? if you want to lose in the first game, you might as well do it cheaper.

13. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

There was still an injury risk involved with paying that much. We could have made it work, but its not like it was a no brainer.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Makes it an interesting Monday morning. I like reading jokes. :p It doesn't upset me in the least that knee-jerkers and bandwagoners are thinking "what could have been if we had Xyz playing and Abc coaching or Jkl kicking?!?!? OMG OMG OMG!" It's comical!

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

Their complete lack of interest in Manning is a fact, and that alone is disturbing, imo.

I've done a good job of blocking this out of my head the past year and a half though...I wish I didn't see this thread.

16. smr6

smr6 Member

I hope you aren't too attached to JJ Watt if we would of gotten Manning.

17. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

I am glad i dont have to root for him

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I didn't know Bob Allen possibly maybe posted on clutchfans.

Please show proof that Peyton chose us and we turned him down.

People who are bothered that we didn't get Peyton seem to be oblivious about the salary cap, either willfully ignorant or naive innocence that of a teenager following the nfl or the annoying girlfriend that doesn't know much about the game.

#18 v3.0, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They show a complete lack of interest in players every year that could help them because they can't afford them. All teams do that. You don't have infinite dollars to spend.

The whole idea of Peyton's interest was built on the media narrative that he was going to sign a cheap contract with incentives to reestablish his value because of his neck. That meant he would go to the best team to try to win because that's "all he wanted."

That turned out to be totally false. He signed an enormous contract, not leaving a single penny on the table. The Texans never had a chance to sign him because they couldn't even get close to the dollars he was being offered.

20. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

And the Bronco's haven't played against legit teams either. Take these past 2 wins with a grain of salt. Putrid defenses make anyone look amazing, and although he's Peyton, He'll come back down to reality once he plays much stronger opponents.

He still lacks a ton of arm strength, and floats every deep ball to his receivers which is going to get them hurt sooner or later. And that o-line is trash even though 2 garbage defenses (formally known by d-line play) couldn't get pressure.