1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Chargers 9/9/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Grinds

Grinds Member

Lmao... we barely won those games. 2 of them were against sub .500 teams and one game the starting QB only played half the game. One game we got freakin phantom TD. How could you seriously justify playing well knowing all that. Weak arguement. Oh by the way, the 2 losses were COMPLETE EMBARASSMeNTs. Lol at using record.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

There you go...excuses for why we won...lol. Bottom line is we won!

So basically, unless the Texans went 5-0, you'd be b****ing like a 12 year old girl scout. There is no winning with "fans" like you.

3. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

Except the NFL league office admitted the call was incorrect. Contact was incidental and not a blow to the head. Oh well sometimes it's better to get lucky.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hargers-for-hitting-texans-snapper-was-wrong/

4. rezdawg

Ok, well, I was just going off what that veteran official was saying in the booth...I'll take it. :)

However, having said that, the Texans would have made an effort to get a TD on the final drive...so it wasnt guaranteed that the Chargers would have won the game.

5. Grinds

Grinds Member

So losing a starting QB doesn't lessen your value of a win? Surely you thought '11 Texans had a better/equal chance with Yates than Schaub. You'll prob front about it now that you're arguing. Its not just how we won, its how we lost too. No single game is that bad, but the Texans have proven over and over to fall short in big spots.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i don't blame them. i would be pissed too.

7. conquistador#11

i understand that there are different types of fans, the homers/the debbie downers/ the casuals/the fair weather. But some of this is ridiculous, like the person that said he hopes the broncos kicks our arses. what type of fandom is this? there is no room for this type of barbarism!

8. rezdawg

But the argument is that we arent ready to play during national games...when you win more than you lose, regardless of competition, then you were ready to play.

9. Grinds

Grinds Member

You don't believe that. If a heavy favorite barely wins, there is a legit arguement they weren't ready.. especially if happens repeatedly. To suggest otherwise would be like saying a team can't play poorly and still win.

10. Grinds

Grinds Member

Lol, again.... at suggesting the '12 Texans played well in nationally. For that matter, any Texans team.

11. Grinds

Grinds Member

Agreed

12. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

idk about 90%.. our game had the largest territory coverage of the US, but the other game (pit/oak) covered pretty much the entire east and west coast, much bigger markets. that was only cbs. there were 2 other games going on over on fox (phi/ari & atl/sd).. with 4 games going on simultaneously theres no way you can consider it a national game or hold any resemblance close to that of MNF or SNF.. with all the promo involved with M/SNF leading up to the game having both teams in the spotlight..

13. Grinds

Grinds Member

Matt deserves credit for his game against DEN regardless of national-isity. Showed toughness and came up big.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Late reactions to the game.

1. The result was basically what I expected, even if the way it got there was certainly hectic.

2. Obviously psyched about the win. A loss would've been devastating given the circumstances. And the road to the Super Bowl will, IMO, heavily rely on us having home field for as long as possible.

3. My fears weren't exactly allayed. The defense doesn't come close to resemble the 2011 version. Foster's health is obviously a concern. And overall the Texans problems from last year still seem to exist to some extent.

4. Hopkins/Tate really gives me hope that the offense can be more balanced. Tate in terms of giving defenses another look. And Hopkins for obvious reasons for the passing game. Hopefully this wasn't just an aberration. In particular, I'm crossing my fingers that Hopkins is one of the few receivers that can contribute heavily as a rookie.

Overall, I'm still pessimistic about Super Bowl chances, but do believe the Texans are "in the mix." Basically I'll be in a wait-and-see mode unless the Texans either sputter out or clinch at least a bye.

16. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

No, the problem isn't unrealistic fans. The problem is that we are the 4th largest city in the nation and our sports teams have a history of choking. If not for Hakeem Olajuwon our city would be sitting on zero championships in baseball, football, and basketball. There are many outspoken fans who say negative things, but that's because Houston is a large city and fans are going to speak out when they get tired of watching the same **** every season.

Nobody cares if we make the World Series or even the Super Bowl, if we don't win it. That's 99% of all fans. You think the Lakers would have as many fans as they do if they were sitting on zero titles and a franchise history of choking???? Hell no they wouldn't.

Imagine how pissed off New York fans would be if we erased all of those Yankees titles and SB's that the Giants won, and instead we rewrote history with them choking in all of those games. You don't think they wouldn't be pissed off??? Of course they would, its HUMAN NATURE.

Fans want to see their team win. But when you choke and choke and choke continuously then people are going to get vocal about it. Its not a big deal.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Personally:

Loved the Cushing INT. Bodes well for his comeback. 20 years ago, guys don't make that play post-ACL.

Really enjoyed what Mays showed at his position. I don't know if I could take another year of Bradie James.

Defense wasn't shining especially bright in the first half, but (a) they found their comfort zone later and (b) adding Smith and Reed to the front and back should bolster things nicely.

If Foster doesn't regain his 2011 form quickly, we can at least take comfort in Tate showing some zest in his contract year. Kubiak talking about a split even with Foster angry is a good sign that he's going to place performance above seniority or keeping a star happy.

Looking forward to more from Hopkins, and agree that his presence already is making things a little easier for Johnson.

Not in love with how he started, but readily appreciate Schaub falling into a groove in the second half when we needed it.

Nice to see Bullock respond well with a game winner in his first outing. Never know how the pressure will affect a green kicker (on the road, to boot).

Hopefully we won't have another season of "A Tale of Two Halves"

3rd down conversions need to get better if we want to see more consistent scoring.

I'm fine with calling that a successful final tuneup before the home opener Sunday. Better to give the coach leverage to keep things hot at practice than allow the team to get complacent early in the year. Looking forward to seeing some tail-kicking at Reliant Sunday.

1 person likes this.
  18. rezdawg

So basically, those same fans will be pissed regardless of what city they live in...because every team in every sport will be choking. Its not just Houston. And it's fine to be pissed...but it's the reasoning behind being pissed that matters.

19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

You sir, are spoiled. You must not have been around during the David Carr years. Yes, the Texans are not perfect but they are not that far removed from being a mediocre to poor team. Everyone forgets the Denver game just because it wasn't a "Sunday or Monday night" game. You don't think that game was a big game?

Also, was the Baltimore game not a big game last year? I don't think the Texans think these night time games are too big for them but they may underestimate the other teams desire to prove the world wrong with an upset. If that is your stance then yes the Texans need to bring even more passion during those night time games especially against inferior competion. They ran into buzz saws last year with Rodgers and Brady looking unbelievably motivated. Maybe this Chargers game will be a wake up call that we need to come out swinging in the nationally televised games because we will get everyone else's best shot. I am taking the wait and see approach in hopes that we have learned from our past mediocre showings. I am unbelievably glad that we are relevant and have a chance to prove all of the haters wrong that think we can't win in the spotlight. All games are pressure packed.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The afternoon game of the week routinely gets higher ratings than MNF. More ratings = more people watching = it's as national of a game as there is in the NFL.

In fact, this past Sunday afternoon game had higher ratings than the Sunday night game (and highest rated telecast since the academy awards). Sunday afternoon is PRIME football watching time. Nothing else is on (as compared to Sunday and on day night). http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000241985/article/espn-fox-earn-record-ratings-for-nfl-opening-week

Texans only have one of those games this year as well. It's the new benchmark for "eliteness". Even SNF gives some even coverage to at least the playoff teams. Not so much for the afternoon national game. MNF is not an "elite" national game anymore. It's the old cable Sunday night game package.