1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"I don't believe in that analytical crap"-- Charles Barkley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 27, 2013.

1. alethios

alethios Member

he doesn't seem to think too highly of Sam Hinkie either. I think he imagines himself a better GM because any dumbass can put together a good team.

2. claydavis

claydavis Member

it seems to me that michael carter williams would be the analytics hated player. not sure why they drafted him

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Pretty much the key is to get superstars. Lebron and a whole lot of scrubs got to the finals.

4. the shark

the shark Member

Just Chuck being Chuck

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

just so stupid.

Barkley should realize that the only reason we got James Harden was because we were able to acquire enough assets (in some cases, though analytics) to be a desirable enough trade partner for OKC to move Harden. For, example, if Morey doesn't bet on Lowry, we don't get Harden. And if we don't get Harden, we certainly don't get Dwight.

Yeah, analytics don't work ...that's why so many NBA owners are scooping up the next egg-head wonderboy to help them run their franchises. That's why Houston has been competitive, and able to manage being over 500 for so many years, without any real superstars.

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I like you chuck but damn sometimes you say some stupid ****

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

SEC education.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You know, I've started to notice that sometimes Barkley kinda talks out of his ass. Like, he says things without thinking very deeply about it first and is just speaking out of emotion. And, I rather suspect that his employer actually wants him to do his commentary that way and that they are, perhaps, more interested in the ratings they get from masses of people who are ignorant in the same way Barkley is than they are in educating the public on how the basketball business works. Has anyone else noticed that or is it just me?

;)

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think Barkley has a real problem with analytics. He just doesn't understand what it is, or how its used by teams. His LeBron example makes that pretty clear. No one loves LeBron more than the analytics crowd, and it has nothing to do with his book smarts.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

five million dollars

11. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I don't think it is just limited to masses of people who are ignorant. I mean, we've dedicated a whole thread to his comments lol. It gets attention all around, which I'm sure his employer is happy with (given the role he plays).

12. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Yeah, there are plenty of times that I've seen him argue with Kenny to the point that Kenny completely ties up his argument and Barkley will contradict himself rather than admit being wrong.

He definitely has interesting things to say from the player prospective and from the prospective of playing in big games but Barkley should be no where near a GM or a coaching position.

There is a reason that Jordan has handed over the reigns to an analytics guy. He has been terrible (or turrible) at assembling a team. Anyone here think that Barkley could do a better job at assembling a team than Jordan?

13. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

It's weird how he doesn't realize that Hinkie is setting up the Sixers to fail horribly this year in order to put the team in a great situation for the draft next year. With just a tiny bit of internet research, that's what one would conclude to be the general consensus regarding the Sixers situation. This is just another example of Barkley failing to do his homework. He's paid to give his opinions based on gut feel and accumulated NBA experience so he probably never does his homework.

14. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

On the surface, it looks like we just lucked into Howard and that had nothing to do with analytics, but getting to this position had everything to do with it. How else could we have collected the assets we did to land Harden, be confident that he was worth what we gave up, while having the players, picks, and cap space to incorporate Howard should he decide to get here? If we didn't have the analytics advantage over other teams, our assets would not have been better.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You mean Barkley is kind of like a troll every internet board needs? :grin:

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Barkley is such an idiot. And we all know that eventually he is going to end up a GM somewhere (as he's alluded to in the past). I pity the team's fan base that will have to suffer through that experience. Isiah Thomas Part II.

17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

"Don’t give me no smart guy"

18. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

He has a point when it comes to guys like Lebron, Dwight, and (to a lesser extent) Harden. But the beauty of analytics come into play with players like Asik, Battier, Parsons, Lin, etc. the guys who will surround your obvious stars.

19. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Barkley? He's the GM of team...wait...

20. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Don't know if anybody mentioned this: Barkley also forgot that it was this "analytical crap" that transitioned us from a talent depleted team post Yao/T-Mac era to a team full of manageable contracts, valuable trade assets and picks, which then turned into James Harden.

Without "analytical crap", there will be no Harden, no Howard. We'd still be fighting for that #14 pick every year.