1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bucks to sign Larry Sanders to 4-year, $44M extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Aug 16, 2013.

1. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

And what exactly did we get for Patrick Patterson ?

2. jacoby

jacoby Member

Who cares? We have Dwight Howard and Omer Asik.

3. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

great move for the bucks...rim-protecting centers are CRITICAL for success in the NBA (unless you have Lebron)...don't think they overpaid at all...this guy was the star of last year's sloan conference, best move the bucks have made since trading stephon marbury for ray allen

4. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Just stop

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

GODDAMIT DAVID LEE......

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It isn't inflation. The value and rarity of a quality nba big man is misunderstood by most fans but GM's, agents, and players know this.

This is what I mean. To say Tyson Chandler is an average center ignores how many awful centers there are in the league.

7. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

Most people think Centers are overpaid because they don't score enough.

But in reality, if you really break into defensive impact, there's an argument that most competent centers are in fact underpaid.

Last year, top 5 defensive RAPM.

Tim Duncan 6.3
    Dwight Howard 6.3
    Larry Sanders 6.1
    Kevin Garnett 5.9
    Marc Gasol 5.6
    Omer Asik 5.4

These are the top 6, if you want in comparison, the type of guys who have roughly high 5 to low 6 offensive contribution are..

Kevin Durant
    James Harden
    Russell Westbrook

think about that for a moment.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't see how they're underpaid. If Marc Gasol was a FA this summer, he'd be a max player. Javale McGee got $10/yr. Asik played like 10mpg before Houston and was paid $8mil/yr. On the flip side, James Harden before last season was debated as to being worthy of a max contract. This despite being easily top in oRAPM in 2012 if he had more minutes.

Centers who play defense are routinely paid/overpaid. It's why Dwight Howard is actually underpaid. Even if someone said LA Howard would be Howard for the rest of his career, he'd STILL be paid max.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

So many people are mentioning Asik in these "a center got paid" threads.

Was there any question that Asik is underpaid? I thought that was obvious a month into the previous season.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I know -- those stats make it look as if he's helping people score.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't think Larry Sanders knows how to coast.

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

But good low post guys own him. Sanders has a ton of value as a rim protector and high mobility high motor big. But Marc Gasol, Hibbert or Asik are more complete inside defenders.

I think he's a bargain at 11 mil in the sense that if he hits the market, he probably gets max next year. Some desperate team would overpay and then the Bucks would probably have to match. Although, who knows. Teams didn't line up for Pekovic.

But in terms of impact, I believe 11 mil is fair. Sanders has major flaws both offensively and defensively. But he still brings a lot of defensive value. His competitiveness is something that every team should want. And he's fairly young, so he might still improve, especially when it comes to his minutes / ability to stay on the floor.

13. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Yeah, this is a great contract for the Bucks. Guy is a beast and has the chance to win a DPOY (or more) during his career. Like this move a lot.

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Centers\Big Man affect the games a lot more than any other position because height just can't be learned. There is a very limit amount of them all other positions are much more easily replaceable.

If you look at the point guard position for example, in the last few years of the Rockets we've had Rafer, Brooks, Lowry, Dragic, Jeremy and Pat Beverly. Even if not great, all these players are fairly serviceable and replaceable. The drop off in production from one player to the next isnt' that big. There's a ton of at least serviceable pg out there that can handle 30 min a night.

How many serviceable big men have we had before we got Asik after Yao went down? I'm not even talking about good, I'm talking about serviceable. We end up playing guys like Dikemebe and Camby a few minutes a night even at their advanced age because Centers are that much harder to replace.

You're not over paying for a center, because the choice is pay a center that can play some what $10M+ per year or not have a serviceable center. And teams without serviceable center\big men rarely do well.

15. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

LOL...This is too funny.
    If everyone now pays $50,000 for a Camry, that means a Camry is worth $50,000 on the market, not the $20,000 number in your fond memory any more. Therefore get an Altima for $45,000 is indeed a bargain.

When one team pays a player more than your expectation, that team may be dumb. When every team is paying every player more than your expectation, that has to be your expectation that was unrealistic.
    Respect the market, man.

16. BuffaloRockets

He's not overpaid at all. Thats a great deal for the Bucks.

17. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Agreed, Sanders is the only reason why that Bucks team has made the playoffs last year. He lowers the opponent field goal percentage dramatically, when he's on the floor. Essentially forcing them to be a jump shooting team. He is better than Asik, in that he is a high jumping shot blocker, and he's cheaper and younger than Dwight Howard.

Definitely the steal of the draft. And Morey took Patrick "look I have a jumpshot" Patterson.

18. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

lol @ how David Lee is used as the opposite of Larry Sanders.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL what's wrong with my statement? Tyson Chandler NYC version IS average, there are 3 categories of Cs in the league:

1) 3M guys (Koska Koufous, Hamed Haddadi etc. including underpaid Cs like Smith and overpaid Cs like Perkins)

2) 12M guys (Chandler, Pekovic, etc. including underpaid Cs like Asik and overpaid Cs like DeAndre Jordan)

3) Franchise guys (DH, Gasol, Hibbert)

Considering his age, health, potential and work ethic I think Sanders is already worth the max, so 11M for him is definitely a bargain already in my eyes.

As for those yammering about how we could have had this guy, I don't fault DM or anyone else really for missing out on guys like Sanders because tell me, what's the diff between Sanders, Whiteside, Myers Leonard and Fab Melo pre-draft? It's pretty clear a switch turned on in Sanders' head, he's not the same guy he was in college because he if had worked like this, then he would have dominated the inferior college players been the consensus number 1 pick.

It's only when they get to the NBA that you really know if what you have is a gem or a dud, stuff like work ethic and ability to grasp plays at the NBA level only comes into play after they already got drafted. Myers Leonard looked like the perfect center in the making pre draft, now we find out he can't grasp NBA plays at all.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

We a productive PF for a couple of years and then traded him for a look at a top 5 lottery pick. That's already a good deal out of a 14 pick.

If you think about it if we had signed LS instead we wouldn't have Howard and Harden, Sanders would have helped us reach the playoffs when we had Kmart, Courtney Lee, Scola and Dragic on the team, and we wouldn't get the 14th pick that got us Jeremy Lamb.