1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: "McHale will experiment with Asik at C and Dwight at PF"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Of course they'll give it a shot. I just don't think it will work.

Momrey, for those who don't know, is Daryl Morey's mom.

#2 Haymitch, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Did you add the 'M' because he is money? :p:p

4. gengar

gengar Member

I CALLED it at the Guess Howard's position thread! I guessed him as a PF. Man..the twin towers..here we come. #1 defensive team and some absolute paint offense

5. Commodore

typo, I need too contribute and get editing priviledges

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Nothing new here. Morey had already stated that the Rockets (McHale) would be seeing how they worked together. He however did not express optimism at the chances, to say the least.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

8. arjun

arjun Member

i thought that it was pretty well known that he would try this out.

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Vindicates a lot of folks that actually could see a PF C Combo with Asik and Howard as a successful/viable option...Time will tell. Asik is the least ball dependent starter we have currently. Asik could just be effective in rebounds and putbacks, and the occasional pick and roll... And he is terrific in starting the fast break by getting the ball quickly to the guards...

If Howard buys into running with the Young guns...watch out...this could be "hella" fun!!!!! Go Rockets...

1 person likes this.
  10. Commodore

McHale will treat Asik like D'Antoni did Pau, ask him to step out and shoot 3's

11. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I like it!!!

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Just send $$$.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That's some accent you got there.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't like it. Howard is not a PF.

15. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

They're experimenting in training camp...

17. NotChandlerParsons

Hard to imagine it not working in training camp...I mean who on our roster is going to guard Asik and Dwight freaking Howard effectively.

18. Marteen

Marteen Member

At this point, I don't question the man that has built the current team that we will be cheering for over the next few years. In Morey, we trust.

19. gengar

gengar Member

He doesn't play the stretch 4 with the long range shooting but he can definitely contribute in the post game. Having Howard at PF is the only way we can have both Asik and Howard on the floor, and having those 2 at the same time will mean very good defense, and probably the best rebounding team in the league. Asik still has butterfingers so Howard can play pick-n-roll with the guards and contribute offensively. I'm having wet dreams already...

1 person likes this.
  20. Ultimate6thMan

Offense is important during the 82 game regular season the most, and anyone concerned about a combo and Asik and DH12 has a legitimate concern about congestion; although it still make work because we have 3 great to good perimeter offensive starters.

BUT, everyone knows that to win the championship, DEFENSE and REBOUNDING is always the key! Ask San Antonio and the Pacers if they would like one more rebound or defensive stop in the paint.

We have the #1 and #3 rebounders from last year and both are a beast at guarding the paint. Parsons had an excellent 1st year defensively and has the potential with his length to be that again this year with all that help. JLin has good team defense and could get better with on man defense knowing that his rear is always protected. Beverley is an on the ball defensive beast against opposing point guards. Garcia is good off the bench offensively and defensively.

Playing the twin towers to start and finish the games would almost shut down other teams offense to nothing, making them strictly perimeter shooters and hopefully forcing them into low percentage contested tweener shots, few 3 pointers. So while McHale would have to really manage their mintutes and rotations very wisely other than the start and last 5 to 8 minutes of a game, the defensive presence of the twin towers during the start and end of games could win us a lot more games than replacing Asik with an allstar PF IMHO.