1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[need advice] what should i do with the money

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Jul 29, 2013.

1. what

what Member

So, today my 2012 fiat 500 was struck by a company work truck. The damage is about 1000.00, which the company told me they'd pay to me as long as I don't file a claim through the insurance.

I'm running a small business and 1000.00 could help with advertizing and logos, which would hopefully pay off in more business.

The dilemma is my car would look janky until I made the extra cash to have it fixed, which could be a long time, since all my spare cash goes to the business.

What would you do? Use the money on the business or the car?

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Fix the car. Ask bigtexxx for some money for the business.

3. Garner

Garner Member

Why is a company truck avoiding an insurance claim?

4. what

what Member

they told me anything less than 1500.00 they'd rather write a check for the damages, which I can understand.

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Who cares what they'd rather, do an insurance claim. It's likely that the insurance company will include a settlement in addition to damages if it was a semi that hit you.

6. New Generation

Fake back pains and you can turn that business into a corporation

Just kidding don't do that

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'm amazed your survived a crash in a fiat.

8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

DO IT!!!!!!:grin:

9. conquistador#11

buy front row seats for the grizzlies

10. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

take the cash and file an uninsured motorist claim with your own insurance and get the car fixed through them.

win. win.

11. what

what Member

the car has a lean holder, so if I file an insurance claim, I will have to fix the car. but that's why, in a nutshell, i'm considering this. since im not hurt, a settlement would be minimal if anything at all.

12. what

what Member

there is a way to actually do this as my insurance company says that they would pay the claim EVEN AFTER THEY found out that the other driver had insurance.

however, a: that's insurance fraud. b: my deductible is 500.00. So, it's all risk and very little reward.

13. Garner

Garner Member

Is that their estimation of your damages?

14. what

what Member

no, it is just the amount they are willing to pay out of pocket. the way it works is that I have to go to a body shop and get an estimate of the damages. if the damages are less than 1500.00, then all I have to do is provide them with the estimate and they'll cut a check.

if it is more than 1500.00, then they advised me that I need to go through the insurance. So they have no say and how much the damages are, only how much they are willing to pay out of pocket before they cede the matter to the insurance company.

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Lol@ wanting to pay you anything under 1500 by check. That's because they are trying to settle out of court and avoid court costs and lawfees. Not too mention any settlement you receive. If i were you i would tell them your considering talking to a lawyer and your family and close friends advised you to do so. I guarantee they offer you more money. There are alot if ambulance chasers and car wreck lawyers for the simple fact that there is alot of easy money to be made.

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Also, don't be afraid to tell them your back seems a little sore. Thing about back pain is you can't look at an x ray our anything and tell if your hurting. Hospitals have to take your word of sorts.

If your liking to be a good samaritan towards this truck company than by all means super citizen it up. But i recommend you look out for your best interest.

Odds are you could get a little bit off money for your business after the money you would spend fixing your fiat...

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'd recommend getting a quote and not taking advantage of our awful legal system. One day it could be you on the other end

1 person likes this.
  18. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

This. Get a fair estimate as you'd be surprised how much it costs to get a car repaired for seemingly minor things.

Please don't sell your ethics/morality and go to an ambulance chancer of an attorney unless the other guys flat out refuse to pay for what is obviously their damage. There is a difference between protecting your interests/looking out for yourself vs lying/cheating/unethical behavior...

19. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Minority?

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Buy a step stool for Rudy gay. So he can you know...