1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who has to go beyond expectations/ ceilings to win it a championship

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Voice of Aus, Jul 26, 2013.

?

So Who Is It?

1. Howard

13.7%
  2. Harden

4.7%
  3. Parsons

9.6%
  4. Lin

37.5%
  5. The 4 position

22.1%
  6. Asik

0.6%
  7. The Rest Of The Bench

3.3%
  8. Mchale

4.3%
  9. Morey

0.4%
  10. Lebron getting injured?

3.9%
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh, really? Manu is the "star" of the Spurs at age 36? At any age? A player who averaged 66 games a season during his entire NBA career, who has never come close to averaging 20 points per game, who's never averaged 5 or more assists a game? Who's never averaged 5 boards per game? THAT'S your "star" of the Spurs? Ginobli is a brillant player, an impact player, when he's truly healthy, which isn't often, and when he was years younger, not 36. What Manu never was, never has been is the star of the Spurs. That man answers to Timmy D., and more recently the Frenchman, Parker. Manu is a key piece of that team, when healthy, but I'm at a loss as to how he is their star player.

You don't make any sense, with all due respect. While many of us are fans of Jeremy's, we talked about his strength and weaknesses, the things he needs to do to become an impact player on the Rocks, not a superstar, not the "sole reason the Rockets advance," but simply where he needs to improve to have a positive impact for the Rockets and help the team win more games, and have an impact in the playoffs. And when we do that, we're vilified by people like you, because we dared to simply give a basketball opinion about a player. For you, and those of your ilk, we're mounting an assault on Jeremy, an unfair assault. If we suggest areas where he could, and even must improve, we have an agenda, we're attacking him needlessly, we aren't simply talking basketball. For people like you, every discussion that includes Jeremy, even in the most minor way, becomes an "all out assault" on the man. It doesn't matter that many of us are fans of Jeremy Lin. In your eyes, we can't be, because we said something critical of the guy, suggested that he needed to improve aspects of his game so that the Rockets could win more games. And so on, and so on, until any discussion including Lin becomes a useless exercise in futility, if one's intention is to simply discuss basketball and the players on the Houston Rockets.

Were it up to me, I'd toss members like you. Why? You destroy discussion, and that's why we are here.

2 people like this.
  2. AVoiceInACrowd

Again, maybe you should include specifics. So you don't sound like an idiot who can't respond with a well thought out idea and so just responds with a irrational tantrum.

3. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

LOFs should just leave and start their own BBS. They could create a fairyland in which Lin is the best player in the world and riminisce of February 2012 constantly.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You aren't going to last here very long if you talk to other posters like that. I recommend you tone it down especially as a new poster.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

In this video, Deckard is Rick Ross.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OJtIvpY6BW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. platypus

platypus Member

Undoing the Derail i think one player that needs to improve this year is Greg Smith.

Sure he had his moments last season, but every-time i saw the kid try to play defense i cringed. He has a bad habit of playing defense with his hands and fouls a TON for a player who has good strength in the post.

He also looked very underwhelming in the summer league, seems like he didn't really work on his post game. What worries me is that the drop off between Omer and greg was HUGE. When greg was on the floor we were a sub .500 team. I think someone needs to give greg some gameplay tapes of chuck hayes and teach him proper post defense.

Greg NEEDS to provide better play so if either Dwight or Omer goes down for a brief period of time our team won't be utterly devastated on defense.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm not saying that 18/8 is what Lin needs to do, but I firmly believe that he is our x-factor, more so than Parsons, in that Lin's performance could change the outcome of the series.

Whiles some oversensitive Lin fans think that this means Lin is the scapegoat or some crap like that, it actually means the complete opposite. Sometimes superstars playing at their best is not enough, in fact that is often the case.

The Heat could still beat the Rockets even if Harden and Howard are at their best, so when that happens someone else will need to step it up and cause damage. I think that person is Lin, more so than Parsons.

8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Like I said earlier I should have said a consistent odom. And you maybe right I didn't really watch odom that much I was most going off his time with the lakers and his career stats I saw on espn.com.

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Odom would give you a triple double then the next night give you nothing. He nvr reached his potential. I think jones could be his consistent version with less passing and more defense. Something like 16 pts 8 rbs and a high fg%

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I said Howard. If he comes back and starts playing like his Orlando days, we'll have a strong chance to get it done. I saw that man carry a very mediocre team on his back and get all the way to the finals a few years ago. Add Harden, Parsons, and the rest of our talent...lets just say that this is a much better team than the Orando team Dwight took to the finals. If Howard beasts and exceeds expectations we've got a real chance to beat Lebron!

11. DJ

DJ Member

I was the other one who voted for Morey. I am surprised more didn't vote for Morey. He has already done amazing things for this team. We always expect big things from him so it is hard for him to exceed expectations. However, if he does it can drastic improve the dynamics of the team.

Example: the Harden trade last year exceeded expectations for a team that would have been otherwise considered fortunate to be in the 2013 playoffs

12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Has to be the 4 spot. We don't even have Udonis Haslem.

13. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

TBH I thought morey would be way higher on the rankings, due to everyone's incepid lust for LMA

14. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Take my words.

Even Lin be able to hit the 3 at 40%, people still going to blame him for lose no matter what.

I saw people blame Lin during the playoff games that he wasn't playing( After he got injured) Harden lose, they blame Lin.

15. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Damn I should of made an option for camby on the poll lol

16. AVoiceInACrowd

Lol, your a funny guy. You might want to take your own advice.

"I give up, you Lin fans are just blind.

You don't understand the game, you come in here and tell people who actually have played, coached, followed the game their whole lives - not just when Linsanity happened - and lecture them on what it takes to win at the game. It's hysterically stupid."

My philosophy has alway been to be polite to people until they show they don't deserve it. All your responses to me have had no content. It's all been self-indulgent crap. Even whats above. Your trying to give advice that you yourself don't follow. I recommend that you respond with well thought out comments. You'll get a better response.

17. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Can Lin become Parker? Parker himself said so.

The only problem is Lin has not been used on the Rockets like Parker has been used on the Spurs. So I don't understand how you can expect Lin to perform like Parker when he is not being used like Parker, smh.

18. claydavis

claydavis Member

It doesnt work that way. The west has 6 teams better than whst those magic or lebrons cavs faced.

19. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Master Sweet Lou, you and I have had a few discourses over the year. Let's lay it out in clear English, shall we?

"No one wants Linsanity." --> translation: no one wants Linsanity in Houston because that was New York. We just want the same production from him without placing the ball in his hands and without admitting that he was forced to play out of his natural game on a new team/system with a ball dominant SG, and being pulled/benched constantly in 4th quarters.

"He just has to hit the 3 at 40%" translation: because he is now the spot shooter and not the pg on this team.

"Half of Houston does not think he should be benched". Translation: only the other half of Houston has been adamant about benching Lin and replacing him with Pat Bev. Yes, it's a very bipolar fan base.

"Stop being so sensitive." Translation: you can't point out the obvious discrimination on this board without getting people sensitive. So please keep quiet and better yet, stay away, so the other half can continue their Lin bashing without feeling sensitive that their confirmation bias is being brought to light.

20. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

18/8 is all star number. Thought this board has resoundingly declared Lin is not an all star and nor can he ever become one? Smh.