1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who has to go beyond expectations/ ceilings to win it a championship

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Voice of Aus, Jul 26, 2013.

?

So Who Is It?

1. Howard

13.7%
  2. Harden

4.7%
  3. Parsons

9.6%
  4. Lin

37.5%
  5. The 4 position

22.1%
  6. Asik

0.6%
  7. The Rest Of The Bench

3.3%
  8. Mchale

4.3%
  9. Morey

0.4%
  10. Lebron getting injured?

3.9%
  1. Ultimate6thMan

If JLin averaged 13pts and 6 assists like he did last year, that would be good enough for us to win the championship if our stars (DH12, Harden, Parson) all stepped up their games and performed as expected. I believe that JLin will average 8 assists and 15 to 17 points, but that still isn't our key to winning the championship.

To win it all,

DH12 has to average 25 points, 13+ rebounds, 3 blocks and shoot 65% plus from the line.

Harden needs to average 25 points, 5 rebounds and 5-6 assists while still consistently getting to the line and playing better defense.

Parson has to average 15 to 18 points, 6 to 7 rebounds and play defense like he did his rookie season, while shooting 38% or better from 3pt land.

One of our PFs has to play decent and hit a consistent outside shot or be aggressive on the boards and average 8 plus rebounds.

Then what Jlin does will make a huge difference. If the above isn't happening first, only if JLin reaches allstar status will what he does give us a shot at winning the championship this year IMHO.

2. langal

langal Contributing Member

Don't understand how our pg (who half of Houston thinks should be benched) is the key to our championship aspirations. Are some of you just trying to set him up as scapegoat?

Lots of you don't even want him handling the ball. You can't expect Linsanity and also expect him to just spot up or ride the pine. Just hope for something like the second half of last year and we will be fine. Dwight has the most to prove obviously after last year.

1 person likes this.
  3. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Parsons. Dont care what anyone says.

4. AVoiceInACrowd

It might help if you you were more specific as to who and what your talking about. I'm guessing it's me and my response since I'm the only one who responded to you between your last two posts.

If that's true, then all I can say is wow. Your delusional, and your response has very little insight or intelligence behind it.

If you can't write anything more than the useless crap that your wrote above, then you shouldn't be writing anything at all.

5. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Lamar Odom was so talented. Dude could ball when his head was screwed on right. Thought he was gonna be the next Magic Johnson when he first came out from college. They do not have somilar games and by saying rich mans Odom, you're basically saying that you've never really watched him play.

6. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

A bit tricky if we talk about expectation, as every fan has different expectations.

As for my own expectations, who has to go beyond my expectations? None of them and all of them. Because I expect them to play at the very high level ;)

So this is lame thread.

7. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I know everyone is excited, but can we see what our opening day roster is before we start making threads like this?

It's no one from last year's roster for sure. Howard has been there, but I don't want him thinking it's championship or bust in year 1 of his contract.

8. PeppermintCandy

I don't get the championship vibe from this roster just yet. I think we are one more star-caliber player away, and I don't see any of our current role players making that leap.

But if we do win it all with this roster, I would expect the following to happen:

- we plays stellar team defense. Top 3 in the league.
    - two of our perimeter players outside of Harden and Parsons goes on a hot outside shooting streak during the playoffs.
    - TJones and DMo make giant strides as our PF tandem.
    - assuming we get Camby, he stays durable throughout the postseason.
    - Lin finds his groove.

These conditions are on top of Howard, Harden, and Parsons being at the top of their games. Of course, it's not impossible for everything to go our way, but as things stand, them's a lot of variables.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Do you not understand the simple concept of expectation?

If Harden drops 25/5/5 is he performing beyond expectations? No, he is doing what everyone knows he can do.

If Jeremy Lin suddenly starts scoring really well and becomes an 18/8 player during key games or during the playoffs, is he performing beyond expectations?

Superstars are already expected to perform at a high level, but that's not always enough. Other players need to go beyond what's usually expected of them to take the team to the top.

In this case the person is Lin. It has happened millions of times in the past, and they are called x factors.

10. nolimitnp

An 18/8 Lin? No way he gets that many shots. I still think then is an x-factor defensively. He's taller and longer than the typical point guard. And he's smart. Harvard smart. Maybe that doesn't translate into basketball IQ, but you can be sure he's studying the oppositions tendencies and reading plays before they happen.

11. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

We need the 4 spot to step up to be a complete team/threat.

12. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

As far as sixth man, I would love the point-per-minute scoring boost someone like Jamal Crawford provides over a great defensive stopper like Sefolosha or Tony Allen. Maybe Ginobili from 6-7 years ago, but I never could stand his flopping, out of control drives. And he is a broken down shadow of his former self now. I say a huge scoring threat for 6th man, like what Harden used to be before the Rockets gave him the shot he deserved to break out and show his full potential.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe you should read everything before you post and look like a typical LOF.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You aren't listening, no one wants Linsanity. All he has to do is be able to hit the 3 at 40%. That's it! Everything else is fine. He doesn't have to do anything more than last year but that and it will boast us a great deal for reasons that have been discussed about 20 times now.

Half of Houston does not think he should be bench. YOu guys see a few posters write that and think Half of Houston wants him bench.

Stop being so sensitive!

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

In playoffs it's always about matchups. Opponents will always try to take away your first options, and the secondary options has to step up. Harden and Howard are both superstars(or borderline). But neither can score regardless of the defense.

So if the defense overcommit to Harden and Howard, then it's up to the other guys to take advantage, ala Terry/Berea with the Mavs 3 years ago. And the players that need to do so are Lin and Parsons. At the very least, one of Parsons/Lin needs to have the capability of putting up such threat to give our stars to operate.

That said, I personally subscribe to the theory that it's easiest to improve the area you're weakest at. In this case, PF spot. It's much easier for Jones/DMo/deadline-trade-person to improve on last year's PF play, than it is for Parsons/Lin to take huge steps further.

16. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Cause everybody else is a perfect gem compare to him . Lol

17. nolimitnp

That's the beauty of the Harden/Howard pick and roll. It's going to be a nightmare to defend and we can count on at least 20 free throws a game from the 2 in the playoffs. Whether Howard hits his is another story of course, It's also much more difficult to front Howard and taks him out of the game as he can catch a lob pass. I' m just thinking back to Pryzbilla and Oden taking Yao out in 09-10. It didn't help that AB couldn't throw it right and the refs ignored the borderline rape of Yao.

Anyway, yea we need players to hit shots on the obvious rotations for the Howard/Harden PNR.

18. landryfans

landryfans Member

Really? The player worth half bag of peanuts gonna decide the fate of championship?

19. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

im afraid so...

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If that meant Rich man's Odom = is Durant like then NO CHANCE