1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gary Neal, Should we make run for him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AusEaglez, Jul 8, 2013.

1. AusEaglez

AusEaglez Member

After looking at the free agents still available on espn insider (here is the article so everyone can see):

One player stood out to me. Gary Neal. I know he has been somewhat inconsistent in his career shooting wise but he did show some good glimpses in the playoffs. He also is a decent ballhandler and since he is from the school of Popivich you know he has potential and very good discipline.

He is restricted, but the spurs did just sign Marco Belinelli and it could seem like they might not be too eager to bring him back. I think Morey should try for Corey Brewer first but if that doesn't pan out I think Gary Neal could be gotten for a bit of the mid level exception. We all know by now Daryl is a genius when it comes to RFA in this new CBA, just look how he got Lin and Asik.

What do you all think?

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

He's out of our price range. Would rather use the Room Exception on a wing defender or a backup big man if we end up trading Asik.

3. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

After him playing a big role for the Spurs in the playoffs it's strange that they don't seem to want to resign him. I'd really like him as Hardens backup as he is a dead eye shooter that is still rather young. I don't know if our exception is. If e nought to snag him. But if we do get him I'd be happy - him or Brewer.

If we do move Asik I fully expect us to get a big man back, so I am not worried...

4. AusEaglez

AusEaglez Member

Maybe we could convince him to come here at a little bit cheaper and maybe back end his contract. Also if he do trade Omer or Lin or make any other trade, depending who we get we might have a little more too spend

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If he'd sign with us, hell yes.

6. haydenfisher342

We need shooters and shooters that can play just a tad bit of defense. If you can shoot and want to make pennies in comparison then Yes, bring in Neal

7. AusEaglez

AusEaglez Member

I would love to hear from Bima or someone else that has knowledge of our current cap situation and just to let us know how much we have left to spend?

8. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

He's clutch. Ill take him.

9. AXG

AXG Member

Go for it! He'd be a great backup for Harden and can play some point.

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

rather get a sf who has size, can defend, and run the floor. garcia is gonna get eat alive in the post when he guards a physical sf

11. rocketseagles07

If he would take less money to come here definitely. He's not afraid of the big moment and he's a great shooter which works well with our offense. I think he also takes better shots than a player like delfino did. Neal and Brewer are really the only two free agents left that we can afford/need that interest me.

12. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

If he's willing to go cheap, then I'd definitely take him. But I have a feeling he's going to be a bit too rich for our blood.

13. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I think Neal is a bit expensive. I think the Rockets should go for Anthony Morrow. He can shoot the light out. Dirk compare him to Peja and says he never seen anybody shoot like him. You just can leave this dude open. He always go to the line too unlike Daniel Gibson. Corey Brewer is not bad but he's not automatic from downtown though. I mean if you can get Neal all the better, but i doubt it.

14. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I believe we only have the room exception ($2.5 mil) and minimum contracts to hand out.

15. AusEaglez

AusEaglez Member

I also like that idea of Anthony Morrow, but the only reason I like Gary just cause he has the final and playoff experience and can handle the ball well so even though we can have him backup Harden we can have him as a point guard when coach benches Lin in the fourth (sorry LOF'S) and insurance if Beverley does get hurt or Lin.

16. AusEaglez

AusEaglez Member

Otherwise another player on that list is Jeff Teague. Do you think he would be an upgrade over Lin and maybe at a cheaper price? With the savings with a trade of Lin and maybe a pick or even someone like Caanan (even though I am really high on this kid), we could get Teague and afford Gary Neal as well. Don't kill me for that idea, it's just an idea. Cause the article says that Jeff Teague isn't happy that the Hawks haven't offered him a contract yet, even though RFA are always offered contracts last.

17. Hibrido

Hibrido Member

I think Teague will get a least 8 mill per year.

18. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 1m

Hearing: San Antonio in process of withdrawing qualifying offer to Gary Neal, making Neal an unrestricted free agent and sure to speed exit

interesting

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Would be a nice pickup though I wonder how many minutes we have with all of these guys able to play minutes at the 2/3:

Parsons, Casspi, Garcia, Harden, Lin and Williams. We have Lin, Beverley, Canaan and Brooks at PG.

Not sure if it's worth giving Neal our mini mid level, especially since SAS is oddly letting him walk.

20. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I think I would prefer him over miller!