1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TJones or DMo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CARoxNut, Jul 19, 2013.

1. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

Assuming we are not getting a PF. Who should be the starting PF?

These two bring different skill sets to the table. TJones is more athletic and rebound better, slightly better in defense. DMo is more polish offensively and a better passer. But I think the most important factor is how well can they function together with the starting four, Lin, Harden, Parsons and Howard. And how much confident McHale have in them.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'm not sure Jones will be a better rebounder than Dmohulk, but I tend to think Dmo is better suited to starting. Jones' strengths seem to point to better suited as a bench role, he's an all round guy, plays as a sort of point forward like Odom, whereas Dmo is better off the ball and we don't need a ball handler but an off the ball player from what would essentially be the 5th option.

3. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

There really is no way of knowing that now. DMo bulked up - how is that gonna affect his game? TJones looked good in summer league, but shooting percentage and turnovers were a concern.

Right now both have a fair chance. It will come down to who is ready mentally (both looked overwhelmed last season) and who fits better in our team (so who can stretch the floor better and stand his own on defense).

If I were to guess, I'd say TJones will start at the beginning if the season, but if DMo is strong enough to hold his own on offense and defense and the game is not too fast for him anymore and he can improve his shot I think it'd be hard to keep that agile 7 footer in the bench...

4. Little General

Wasnt there already a thread like this one?
    Well I want T-Jones to start over D-Mo.
    T-Jones defense is very good while D-Mo's D is very bad.
    While D-Mo's offense is kinda questionable also, he might be a little better offensively than T-Jones, but that's only in the post. They can both shoot 3's but D-Mo's release is faster than T-Jones. Though T-Jones has an instinct for blocking shots, I don't see D-Mo doing it at all. I see T-Jones being more physical, while D-Mo would be more slicking by his opponents.

So overall I think T-Jones is better.
    I give T-Jones defense/offense: 7+/6
    D-Mo defense/offense: 4/7

5. csc177

csc177 Member

Already a thread

6. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

Not on the first couple pages of the forum anyway. I am sure there were threads during the regular season too......so can not open a new thread?

7. Raven

Raven Member

Wide open opportunity for the player who wants it the most, and I think D-Mo has the edge.

But neither is an optimum choice.

8. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

DMo: Hey, Dwight.

Dwight: Howdy, DMo. Wah ya whisperin'?

DMo: Ehh, don't tell no one but can you do me a favorite?

Dwight: Sure pardner. Anythin' for mah teammate!

DMo: When we're on fastbreaks, can you make sure you run behind me?

Dwight: Ok, but wah?

DMo: I told Rockets fans on my first press conference that you gonna have to catch me if you can. :grin:

DMo all the way!!!!

9. filtrus

filtrus Member

D-MO has great offensive skills, TJONES has defence skills.

I think will start Donatas but the minutes in every game could be more for Jones...

Anyway if we want to win now, I think we need another PF

10. SeabrookMiglla

that tjones is a hustler, he is a hard worker and keeps the tempo up. that is a quality i personally value in players. too early to tell with dmo, but he showed a very polished offensive post game which impressed me. this season should answer a lot of question marks about our team as a whole.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

how did this get 4 stars?

i think it sorts itself out during the season. Jones will likely start, but i suspect they'll get close to the same minutes; especially if DMo's maturation has come along the way it should.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Its not who starts; its who finishes.

C.mon people. Basketball smarts.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Play em both whoever is having the better game gets to play more that game.

Two men enter one man leave.

DD

14. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

It's all about who can finish better, really don't care who starts. We need mid range jump shooting 4 (David West), that can help D12 on the boards, and run with the rest of the team.

15. Beebo1911

Beebo1911 Member

T.Jones easily , better defense , better rebounds , DMo is a better post player ....,BUT HE WON'T BE PLAYING IN THE POST with Dwight there D.Mo's **** is broke while T.Jones can score from jumpers , put backs , and driving to the basket strong.

T.Jones overall hustle man attitude will help the starting lineup and I think DMo will actually play better coming off the Bench with Asik seeing that Omer is less if a scoring presence down low

16. CertifiedTroll

I think who ever plays better at camp.. But I think TJones will, but DMo will get good minutes as well.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Lamarcus Aldridge

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Jones starting. DMO can play out of the block with the second unit and be real effective. Going to be interesting to see who McHale starts between the two.

19. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Dmo is better suited next to Dwight. Tjones can't shoot.

20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's probably going to be tough to decide based solely on their performances in their rookie season, especially since the team has changed pretty dramatically. Assuming there are no other major changes before the start of the season, there's going to be a great opportunity to see what each has got in practice and preseason games.

Since they both have one NBA season under their belt, what does everyone think was more beneficial preparation, DMo's professional Euroleague experience or Jones' college years at Kentucky?