1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 1, 2013.

1. basketballholic

This has been answered before. Search function.

The answer is we're signing him with cap space. In this thread right here we discussed Canaan's contract. It's for 3 years. Therefore we are not signing him to the 2 yr Room MLE. So, we're using a sliver of cap space, something like $570,000, the available difference between $58.679 million and the combined contracts of Dwight, Harden, Omer, Lin, Parsons, TJones, DMo, GSmith, Bevereley, plus the $100,000 we owe Tyler Honeycutt plus 3 x $490, 180.

We haven't been given the exact details on Canaan's deal and we haven't been told that Anderson and Ohlbrecht are being released...unless that has occurred very recently. However 2 of 3 of Anderson/Ohlbrecht/Smith have to be released for us to sign Dwight. We are most likely releasing Anderson and Ohlbrecht and keeping Smith. If that is what happens that leaves an extra $80,000 or so to give to Canaan after signing Dwight...if indeed Dwight is signed for his full max of $20,513,178. There was some rumor that Dwight might take a little bit less. Perhaps he does and we can either keep Ohlbrecht or Anderson and sign Canaan or perhaps we give Canaan a few dollars more.

However if it goes like we are speculating it will go, they will release Anderson and Ohlbrecht, sign Canaan to first salary of $570,000, with 2 years guaranteed and a third year team option and they'll give Dwight the rest.

The agreed-to signing of Reggie Williams tells me that Anderson is gone for sure. Also we've signed Casspi and we haven't signed any power players. So that tells me Smith is staying.

2. basketballholic

There's 20 roster spots available right now. Remember the contracts for Williams, Casspi, Garcia will not be signed until after we sign Dwight and Canaan. Covington essentially counts nothing extra against the cap. We have to account for 13 slots with an empty salary slot being $490,180.

3. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

There are 20 spots available in pre-season which get trimmed down to 15 when the season starts.

You don't have to fill all 20 spots.

4. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Is there anyway the Rockets could sign Nate Robinson as a 6th man? How much could Nate get as a free agent?

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If he's willing to take the Room Exception (2 years, $5.42 million), the Rockets could do that. Anything more is out of the Rockets' price range in free agency.

Even still, the Rockets might like what they have in Lin, Beverley and Canaan better.

6. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

no need for robinson....if we can pickup another SG, that would be nice...i see lin and bev much improved with their shooting this year...canaan is already a good shooter.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

And they don't even have to like the current PGs better than Nate. As long as Nate isn't substantially better than these guys (and I don't think he is-- there is a reason why this guy is still on the market), there is little point in signing Nate instead of running with guys who are under contract already.

Moreover, it would seem that there is a more efficient way to use the Room Exception given that the team still doesn't have a proven PF. There are also plenty of potential amnesty victims (Metta World Peace, etc.), contract-buyout candidates (Marcus Camby, Al Harrington) and "Carlos Delfinos"-- i.e. players currently looking for a more substantial contract but may end up settling for the Room Exception when, say, August or September rolls around. So why blow your one and only Room Exception to add a decent PG to a collection of decent PGs?

8. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

btw, is the roster charge still 500k and do we need a minimum of 10 players before we get charged?

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Nate Robinson for the room exception would be fun.

10. rogower

rogower Member

What do you guys figure to be the next roster move? It seems obvious to me that Daryl Morey likes to a) trade quantity for quality whenever the opportunity presents itself and b) sell high, especially on guys who don't figure to be rotation guys and/or can be easily replaced. I think he envisions Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin as rotation players in 2013-14 so I think he'd like to swap Donatas Motiejunas and Greg Smith for draft picks.

Anticipated rotation:

Starting lineup

PG Jeremy Lin
    SG James Harden
    SF Chandler Parsons
    PF Terrence Jones
    C Dwight Howard

Key reserves

Omer Asik
    Patrick Beverly
    Francisco Garcia
    Reggie Williams or Omri Casspi

End of the bench/Developmental League

Williams or Casspi
    Motiejunas
    Smith
    Isiaah Canaan
    Robert Covington
    B.J. Young

Canaan, Covington, and Young figure to spend all or most of the season in the developmental league and you don't want Motiejunas and Smith rotting on the bench.

I also noticed that Atlanta matched Milwaukee's offer sheet on Jeff Teague. The Bucks are clearly less than thrilled with Brandon Jennings. If the Bucks view Lin as an upgrade over Jennings and are willing to trade Ersan Ilyasova for Lin, maybe with some Bucks draft picks, Motiejunas, Smith, and/or this Greek kid recently acquired from Portland, I think Houston has to think about doing that. I do not think Houston will be interested in Jennings, at all.

Thoughts?

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bucks have a good thing going with Ersan, Henson, and their center. Doubt they move any of them. Agreed that Jennings is likely to be dealt.

I see us pretty much standing pat, with the exception of signing a vet to the "room exception" and moving one of our young guys for a draft pick to make roster room; smith being the most likely candidate.

12. rogower

rogower Member

You're probably right, but Milwaukee is a pretty poorly managed team and thus can be exploited. If Milwaukee views Lin as an upgrade over Jennings, undervalues Ilyasova, and overvalues this Greek kid, then I can see Milwaukee offering Ilyasova and a future first round pick for Lin, the Greek kid, and maybe Smith or Motiejunas. Given that the first round pick figures to be a lottery pick (or maybe #15 overall, if the Bucks sneak in again as the #8 seed in the East), then Houston would have to think about doing that deal. Ilyasova is a big upgrade at PF and a perfect fit in Houston's system and Houston may feel comfortable with Patrick Beverly as the starter and Isiaah Canaan (polished four year college player) backing him up. Houston improves their current rotation (assuming they feel comfortable with Beverly and Canaan) and adds a tremendous asset (the first round pick) to its arsenal.

13. rogower

rogower Member

Having said that, I think Houston's rotation is set for 2013-14 and that they'll keep Lin (at least for this season) and look to parlay non-rotation guys (Motiejunas, Smith, the unsigned Greek kid acquired from Houston) for draft picks.

14. basketballholic

Ersan is the one non-superstar player that I would really like to add to our team. I believe Dwight, Omer, Ersan, and Jones or DMo would be the best 4-5 rotation in the NBA.

15. basketballholic

I see no market for Jennings. Monta had a difficult enough time getting money this free agent season. Teams are getting smarter and more analytical. And he plays a position that has more talent than any other position in the NBA. On top of that he's got attitude issues and he hasn't won nor has he made his team better. I think he's screwed himself. If any team gives him over $20 million on a 4-yr deal they are overpaying.

16. rogower

rogower Member

Agreed. Milwaukee, if they're smart, offers him four years, $24 mil, and if he balks, let him play for whatever the qualifying offer is. Almost every team in the league is happy with its PG situation, which limits the value of non-star PGs on non-rookie contracts, guys such as Jennings (when he signs) and, to be fair, Jeremy Lin.

17. GameChanger

GameChanger Member

18. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

The cash is to pay for White's contract which is also $1.7m this year (final guaranteed year). Basically, we gave them the rights to Aldemir to buy their cap space so we can get White off our books to make the room to sign Dwight.

19. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

A $1.7M appendectomy ;)

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Isn't the appendix part of the body before it gets removed? Can't see how the analogy worked... ;)