1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BS Report; Chad Ford guest, high praise for Isaiah Canaan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Convictedstupid

Was with GSW last.

2. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

did you think LIN was going to be a starter or even Matt Maloney? Canaan judgement on someone yet to plau significant meaningful minuess? actually can say the same for the gms that passed on him too.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

That was because they were literally the ONLY bright spots on the team. There wasn't anything else to talk about.

4. Zergling

Zergling Member

[B.S. Report 7/9] Ford & Simmons really high on Isaiah Canaan

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2864045

Starts at 23:20. Surprised how high Chad Ford was on him but it's certainly nice to hear from an "expert" even if it's just one opinion.

Ford called it the best 2nd round pick of the draft and loved the pick for Houston since he could play right away.

Also said he won't be surprised if he supplants Lin at starting PG within a few years. Thinks Canaan has more upside than Lin and compares him to Damian Lillard in terms of being in the same situation of being considered a tweener a SG in a mid-major school in college. Lillard proved he could play PG and Portland and Canaan could do the same in Houston.

After that conversation, both give props to Morey for sticking to his asset accumulation plan and Les Alexander for not firing him when it wasn't paying off immediately. Then they discussed the ramifications of the vetoes Gasol trade. It's a really good listen.

It's just amazing to think that Morey potentially one-upped himself again after the Chandler Parsons steal.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

6. choujie

choujie Member

Since when Chad Ford becomes a talent evaluator? When was the last time he got any prediction right? The guy is on the same level of SAS.

7. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Don't like short PGs, especially the ones with a shooter's mentality. Canaan can't be a spot-up shooter at 6'0".

8. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Chad Ford likes to hype all the rookie players. Canaan is the best 2nd round pick in a weak draft ? LOL, that sure says a lot.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

He could potentially be a starting point guard on THIS team, since Harden already does the majority of the ballhandling, he would mainly be asked to shoot and cut and play defense.

Also, I've heard he's a good defender even though he's a little on the short side. He has the same kind of build as Kyle Lowry.

10. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

He got hype here, but where else?

11. Zergling

Zergling Member

Chandler Parsons was the best 2nd round pick in a weak draft. Your point again?

12. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

What? I heard he was a horrible defender :S

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I agree time will tell. I also believe your recap indicates a very positive end result by DM the GM et staff. I'm pretty satisfied with those results.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I like Cannan, reminds me of Lowry minus the ballhawking defense but plus the perimeter shooting range.

He can develop ball security and better defensive skills. I think his motor is just as good as Lowry's was/is so he'll be okay once he learns the system and gets PT.

15. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL What?!?! Damian Lillard was a sure fire lottery pick! THe person to compare him to is CJ MCcollum.

An nba ready guard does not drop to the 2nd round. Lillard was the best PG going into that draft.

16. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

the point is 95 times out of 100 they end up being nothing. YOu bringing up the 5% of the time it works out doesn't mean you're more likely to be right.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Who told you that? He's strong and built like a tank, good lateral agility, and a highly athletic. He has the tools to be a good defender. If his fundamentals need work, that shouldn't be a problem.

18. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

Considering most of our offense will revolve around parsons/lin/harden/howard, at any time, I doubt he will need to become a playmaker. More of a beverly role on offense, spot up or create something when needed.

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

One man's trash thread is another man's treasure.

I am glad to hear they feel exactly like me. People who think he can not play the point will be utterly surprised. I watched as much video as possible on him and we the opportunity is there hecan distribute the ball. But just like Dilliard and Curry had to dominate for their teams so did Canaan.

Canaan will be the surprise of the draft. He might actually become Morey's best second round pick yet. How do these fools in the NBA allow him to drop. Funny no Howard signing just yet. Rockets negotiating with Canaan first it appears.

20. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

He got hype on NBA TV during draft night. Machado's name showed up on the list of "Best Available Players" a few times as they moved down the draft list, I believe. There were also some NY fans who hyped him up and wanted him since he played in the state. Similar to how fans who watched Canaan play in college are hyping him up now.

I think Canaan will be serviceable as a 3rd string rookie pg and injury insurance, but we should just wait and see. It's not like you're new to basketball and have never seen rookies hyped before who never pan out.