1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Asik unhappy, may force trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

You don't free up enough cap room to sign Josh Smith if you only get rid of Asik for a eurostash or draft picks. The key to a S&T is that you can use the matching salary rule to bring Josh Smith in for a higher salary than Asik's $8.3M cap hit.

2. torocan

torocan Member

Honestly, don't find this surprising at all.

Have believed from the beginning that DM would trade Asik if they ever managed to land Dwight.

And honestly I'm wouldn't be shocked at all if Asik wants to keep being a starter. Even though he's being paid, he's arguably a top 5 center and for that kind of play he doesn't want to play only 15 minutes a game or be cut to minimal minutes on a shortened playoff roster.

Asik played his heart out and he's got lots of upside. Playing behind Dwight we'll never see how good he can become, and as a trade asset we have the opportunity to upgrade the 4, a position we've been hurting on all season.

If Asik goes, best of luck to him. He played his heart out every night he was out there even if his dropped balls would make us tear our hair out. ;)

3. Swishh

Swishh Member

I'd take teague/smith/someone else .

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I'm told Hawks and Rockets working on sign&amp;trade to bring Josh Smith to Hou, probably for Asik and JLin</p>&mdash; Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) <a href="https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/statuses/353289442255060992">July 5, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

I'm all for that, but this is the equivalent of saying "Let's trade Parsons for Lebron." It's just completely unreasonable... it's just one of those things where I keep seeing a different poster every hour saying "let's get LMA!" with no reasonable way to do it.

I think it's the UT homerism.

5. Rockets0515

Rockets0515 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I'm told Hawks and Rockets working on sign&amp;trade to bring Josh Smith to Hou, probably for Asik and JLin</p>&mdash; Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) <a href="https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/statuses/353289442255060992">July 5, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I was hoping to get to try 15 minutes WITH Howard and 15 minutes WITHOUT.

7. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Also fun fact, has anyone noticed that Broussard has started weening off "multiple sources" and now says more "I'm being told"?

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not a fan of bringing in Smith man, but not worried about losing Lin.

9. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Lins assist will go up for sure next year with Howard here. I hope he stays this year, I would think that he would average 8 assist with Howard.

10. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I trust Morey....but I hope we dont overpay for Smith

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if we can get teague back, then sure. otherwise, that sounds like we're offering smith too much money.

12. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Asik + picks for Amir Johnson?

13. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Man, I want to see Lin play with this team...

14. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

How good LMA is on defensive end?

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Asik and JLin for JSmooth, that will NEVER happen

16. j3i

j3i Member

I wish we would trade Howard for Aldridge + some sweetener.

I like Lin/Harden/Parsons/Aldridge/Asik better than any roster we could put together by trading Asik.

17. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

If dwight free throw shooting doesn't improve and they do hack on him. It's going double hurt remembering asik.

18. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I would like to get Smith, but I would LOVE to get Aldridge.

19. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

why does Asik need to rock the boat? I like the idea of having a real backup 5.. and not some tweener 4. oh well

20. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Dwight should switch to Rick Barry style FTs.