1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Interview on July 2nd: Dwight, Lin, Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Apparently, Yao had one of the best pitches of the evening and went beyond what the Rockets had expected.

It probably went more along the lines of...

Yao: I'm gonna be in Houston on July 11th. I expect you to meet me with your contract signed!

Howard (quivering): Yes, Shifu! (master)

2. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Lin is just as important as Parsons regarding wins last season. Add to the fact that he will be the one passing Dwight the ball a lot of times and he was a prized free agent signing last season.
    Non-fans like Magic and Van Gundy. Or do they count as his fans?

You mean Dwight will be content with less money, fame and viewership? 300 million people watched Linsanity in Asia. A retired Yao cannot help Dwight with that. He might be beloved in Asia like Vince but not T-mac who actually played with Yao. Yao is retired, it's very different to be actually playing with the guy. Yao is not going to help the popularity of every single Rocket players after he retired; let's say Kevin Martin, I don't think he was particularly popular in Asia even though he played the the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Hey look you want to think Lin is important, feel free. Parsons is far more important towards the future than Lin is. People are welcome to their opinions. Also, just because Yao is retired means he lost all influence? You must be out of your freaking mind! There is a reason they had him Skype in for the recruiting process. Even retired, Yao still has way more fans, connections, and pull than Lin does. How many stars are thinking, "Man, I am just DYING to play with this Lin guy?" I am going to guess ZERO. JVG is a huge Rockets homer (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that) and as for Magic, being an NBA player automatically makes you able to tell talent right? That's why Jordan was so successful at drafting amirite? Fact, Lin is expendable and easily replaceable. Fact, Parsons with his contract and production is NOT easily replaceable. Fact, Parsons is close with Dwight which makes him important.

2 people like this.
  4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I expect everything Morey says to be in the best interests of the Rockets. I don't care if every word he says is a lie.

5. Sanity2disChaos

I can dig it...honest and clever.I mean he works for the Rockets, sabotage is definitely not in the plans....that would not be good for f.a. signings -sign and trade.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Whatever his role on the team might be right now, no one in the NBA is thinking "I want to play with Lin". If you think otherwise, you are flat out delusional.

Therefore, whether the Rockets plan to keep him or trade him, it made absolutely no sense for him to tag along for the Howard recruiting process.

BTW, if you think Lin is as valuable as Parsons, then you are doubly delusional.

#266 Zboy, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  7. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

I got to admit , Yao is pretty huge in China, not just in popularity but politically also . Team owner, and has direct influence (most likely sits in all sorts of high level sports committees ). Frankly he is the man when it comes to China. T

hen again Jeremy Lin is a easier sell for him, as long as he progresses and becomes legit. The Chinese can really racist and crazy on the flip of a button, too many examples of it.

8. LAC

LAC Member

No one in the NBA wants to play with Lin is a little bit harsh. I am sure Greg Smith likes Lin a lot.
    [​IMG]

I do agree that it makes no sense for him to be at the meeting but not because he's expendable. It's because of his personality. His personality really isn't Dwight's type of guy.

Finally, Lin may not be as valuable as Parsons. But Parsons is going to look a lot less valuable without Lin actively looking for him to pass all the time. Try to look up how many Parsons' field goals are Lin assisted. I am sure I've seen those stats on this site.

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The point I was making is who cares about Lin's "Asian influence" when we got a PR beast like Yao already. To argue that he is less influential and marketable for Dwight than Lin simply because he does not play anymore is asinine. Right now Lin is still a nobody. Last season proved Linsanity was a flash in the pain. Now whether or not that flash is a sneak peek or tease no one knows yet. Yao, like Hakeem, is a name that sells. If Lin has another 13/6 season, tons of people IMO will stop caring for him.

10. ILoveWhiteGirls

tons of people care if the team is winning in general. The only people who cares about stats is LOH/LOF.

11. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

I am a Lin supporter, but I am not one of those folks who think that he is superstar. Just see an upside to him.

I agree in the end it's basketball. If he sucks, you can't shine ****.
    Lin has to perform, and his season was lacklustre. But then again it wasn't a compete tank. hopefully we get to reap his improvement as a Rocket.

12. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

Well said man, people keep pointing to Lin's stats to beat down his image...guy was the starting point guard, with the 3rd most Morey Win-Shares on one of the top offenses (and arguably top 10 teams) in the NBA, oh and was the 2nd most important leader (not player) on one of the youngest teams to make the playoffs in NBA history, and in a loaded Western Conference to boot. Let this guy keep on harping on his stats like a 13 year old Fantasy Sports Geek. No one on this board can say with a straight face that Lin wouldn't have put up 18/8 on 15-20 other teams in the league, but he sacrificed his own stats for the team, something that's obviously not appreciated around here.

13. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

That's a good point also, the teams he plays in, tend to overachieve expectations.

14. seahawk

seahawk Member

This. ABJ can always find something to bash Lin and ready replace him with some random PG.

15. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Look at the teams that had meetings with Dwight. Most of the brought 1 or 2 current players at the most. Harden lives in LA and is our star, Parsons relationship with Dwight goes way back to when lived in Orlando and Dwightbplayed there. They were our two obvious choices to recruit and pitch to Dwight, no need to make any more of it than that.

What's important is that Morey clearly stated in this morning's interview:

- Dwight wants to play with Lin and Asik
    - Lin and Asik are NOT AVAILABLE
    - Dwight did not ask about a third star

IN MOREY I TRUST

Now move on.

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

To the people complaining about Lin/Asik not being there, are we meant to bring the whole fraken team??????? I'm sure the other meetings didnt have anywhere near the amount of ours.

17. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

YESSSS As long as Asik stays, Im fine with that.

18. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

It is funny some people keep complaining about Lin's defense, while forgetting the most important stats judging a PG's defense: steals.

1 person likes this.
  19. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

Complaining about Lin's defense is pure LOH nonsense at this point...His synergy stats are above average, his Defensive RAPM was above average (NBA.com even had a midway season piece on how he was a top-20 candidate for defensive player of the year). The only knock on him at this point is that he has trouble with the Nate Robinson's of the world (no ****, he's 6'3", 200 lbs), and that he's overagressive in doubling bigs inside, while leaving shooters open ( which may be a coaching philosophy).

1 person likes this.
  20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

but that is a function of how much you gamble/take risks defensively. IMO Lin is an underrated defender but to base it purely on steal #'s is silly. He does a good job of staying in front of his man, has very good size at the PG position and is smart as how he utilizes his help.

I really don't like though how he goes roaming at times and loses his man for open shots. Happened way too much earlier in the season.