1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Point guard alternatives

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zaam, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Fighton

Fighton Member

the point of trading lin is to free up cap space. there aren't any significant upgrades on your list.

most of these guys would command about the same salary which would defeat the purpose of trading him. if they can get a starting caliber guy at 4 mil they'd do it. or if they're really going after josh smith, you get smith at 10 and a starting pg at 6 then it works. but that's assuming you can get smith at 10 and a starting caliber pg at 6 that's available right now.

2. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

in terms of ability and salary.

3. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

No way I would toss in the pick, when ATL could lose Smith for nothing. Teague might be a little hard to pry away, though. He's restricted, BTW. Correction to my first post on that.

4. Spooner

Spooner Member

Paul
    Rondo
    Williams
    Rose
    Irving
    Rondo
    Curry
    Holiday
    Parker
    Westbrook
    Lowry
    Holiday
    Conley
    Wall
    Teague
    Lillard
    Dragic
    Rubio

I'd still probably take these guys over Lin
    Ellis
    Jennings
    Calderon
    Vasquez
    Bledsoe

ROFL
    George Hill

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Now you're overrating Lin.

6. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Teams that would actually trade for Lin a cheaper pg: Bobcats (Sessions), Lakers (Steve Blake), Raptors (Lowry), Kings (Fridette) to name a few.

7. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I wouldn't mind JJack. But when was the last time we had the same PG for two seasons?? I hope we keep Lin unless we trade for rondo.

8. basketballholic

IF you want a cheap floor-spreading 3-point shooting pg, sign Daniel Gibson for the minimum and call it a day.

9. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

and lin would go where?

10. jason330i

jason330i Member

how much will the rockets owe if they just waived Lin?

11. bball1217

bball1217 Member

Just read an article proposing a Lin for Ramon Sessions swap.

Sessions is a starting caliber PG that is cheaper (due $5 million next year) and an expiring contract for financial flexibility.

It is basically the same concept as trading for Calderon, except Sessions is younger, but not nearly as good a 3pt shooter. I think its worth looking into at least. It would also allow for the Asik+pick for Josh Smith trade to happen still.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Dude I live in SF and see the Warriors play regularly. He and Lin are similar players.

13. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

and why would the Bobcats do that trade?

14. bball1217

bball1217 Member

The bobcats could use someone like Lin to excite their fan base. Also, Lin has the potential to be much better than Sessions on a team where he would control the ball more, which the Bobcats can allow him to do, whereas we can not. We can throw in one of our 2nd rounders for taken on more salary, but they will make so much money from Lin fans, I do not think they will care.

15. Chamillionaire

Lull and the '14 1st rounder. Oh hell no.

16. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

Not that hard to be better than their 3rd string PG.

17. thething

thething Contributing Member

Don't worry, league rules prohibit the Rockets from trading the 2014 first round pick because they traded their 2013 1st rounder in the Terrence Williams trade.

18. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Nate Robinson has heart and is always entertaining to watch.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You can't just add a Gibson. They need someone more competent at the PG spot, like Jack. He's not a lateral move from Lin because of experience. He's an upgrade right now.

As for Lin being shopped just for cap space, i dont buy it. They have other ways of clearing space with minor transactions, while retaining Lin, according to Bima. They trade Lin to kill two birds with one stone, you clear space for Dwight AND upgrade the spot which isn't talented enough now to overcome inexperience, which Dwight probably see a a red flag.

20. rocketblood713