1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simmons and Doc Rivers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by VBG, Jun 27, 2013.

1. VBG

VBG Member

I thought everything about them and their interaction was fascinating tonight.

Simmons has been on record constantly saying that Doc has been changing his story and not been honest with the public.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5uqhzEm03-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First of all, the insult of calling someone an idiot and saying you're too classy for that is pretty much the least classy move. It's Doc Rivers again saying something and trying to get away from it and distance himself instead of owning it.

I'm kinda on Simmons side here.

Curious to see other Reactions. Here's Doc's son-

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons">@BillSimmons</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/espn">@espn</a> You know nothing about winning, about sacrifice, and being a champion. You sit behind a desk and pick on people.</p>&mdash; Jeremiah Rivers (@JRivers25) <a href="https://twitter.com/JRivers25/statuses/350470742942564353">June 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons">@BillSimmons</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/espn">@espn</a> .You are a Internet bully. There is a reason nobody will side with you. They like my dad better than you.</p>&mdash; Jeremiah Rivers (@JRivers25) <a href="https://twitter.com/JRivers25/statuses/350471047960735744">June 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  2. bongo33

bongo33 Member

Honestly, coming from a Celtics fan I am kind of on Simmons' side.

Doc said in an interview 2 or 3 years ago, when he signed that huge mega contract that he would be okay with helping through a rebuild process...

Look where he is now. Granted, we don't know the full story but those words make him look like a hypocrite.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Jeremiah's tweets are pathetic. C'mon, do better than that...

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Bill Simmons and JVG are the only good things still at ESPN NBA. The rest is trash.

Simmons spoke the truth. Doc says he doesn't know the whole truth. Well, why don't you come out and state the truth?

1 person likes this.
  5. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Im a big fan of Bill Simmons but I think he is letting his fanhood get in the way of rational thought. The entire situation reminds me a bit of the situation with Adelman and the rockets a few years ago. An accomplished coach wants out of a rebuilding situation. You cant blame the coach for wanting out. The big three era in Boston is done and the team is now in complete rebuilding mode. Bill needs to accept this.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Jeremiah Rivers tweets are more pathetic than Austin River's rookie season.

1 person likes this.
  7. VBG

VBG Member

Did you read/hear anything Bill Simmons said? Because this is really bad word manipulation that I hate.

Simmons has constantly said that he has no problem with Doc Rivers wanting out. He just hated the way Doc did it by trying to act like he was a victim. Doc has flip flopped by pretending that he was completely clueless and then saying that he wants to leave and then saying he doesn't (terrible run on sentence).

8. t_mac1

Problem is Doc signed the contract a few years back and said himself he is fine with going through a rebuilding phase, knowing how old KG/PP/Allen were.

Furthermore, Doc has flip flopped just like a professional politician.

It's great to see someone on ESPN with some balls.

1 person likes this.
  9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Bill Simmons won that one. Doc Rivers came across as a dick, on top of already being a horribly overrated coach

1 person likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Screw Glenn, Bill has been right on all of this. (Or I should say, I have agreed with him through all this.)

POTN :grin:

#10 J.R., Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Pacquiao - Mayweather?

Naw, son. I'm banking on Simmons - Rivers happening first.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

When Shuttlesworth left for the Heat Doc blamed it on Allen's ego.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...on-rondo-boston-celtics-miami-heat/index.html
    When Doc forces his way out to the Clips. A story is leaked painting Rondo as a locker room cancer.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/06/22/doc-rivers-rajon-rondo-fight/

13. t_mac1

Notice how both Len and Rose just look shook during that whole thing. Bunch of wusses.

14. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

Austin Rivers will be a star. Just watch.

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Sorry man, I don't agree with this at all. A major aspect of Bill Simmons' appeal is his unabashed fanhood. People really appreciate that he is not afraid to call it like it is while still remaining likeable.

If you think that trade was good for the celtics, you have got to be kidding. Have you seen Gerald Wallace's contract?
    I honestly have no idea why you would push this kind of a team out and expect to tank...

And bottom line is that there is no reason why the Celtics couldn't have continued to push along with Pierce until he retired. Duncan and the spurs were left high and dry after RJ joined the team. Although it seemed unlikely they would pull through, they ended up in the finals with a bunch of scrubs, a good young PG and a new young star in Kwahi.

Sound familiar?

KG < TD, Peirce > Manu, Jeff Green > Kwahi, Parker > Rondo, Bradley = Danny Green

Retool, refocus and push forward. Let Pierce retire in Celtic green

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Rivers is going to be expose like the fraud that he really is. Is he a good coach? Yes Is he a great coach? I don't think so Is he a great enough coach to forfeit an unprotected 1st rounder in next year's draft and also getting $7 mill a year? Heck no. He's not going to be the difference maker that will put the Clippers on top in the West with the current lineup they have right now.

#ubuntu

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The refreshing part about having Simmons be involved in the commentary is that he speaks the mind of a fan unlike every other analyst out there that is afraid of offending someone from the athlete community.

I really hope ESPN doesn't try to put a muzzle on Bill. Its a shame that commentators really aren't allowed to speak from the fans perspective. It really adds nothing for them to sink their teeth into. Kudos to Simmons for having the guts to show the emotions of a pissed off fan on live TV.

1 person likes this.
  18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

If this were true the universe would explode. too much suckage.

19. Awesome

Awesome Member

ESPN is lame all the way around

Be glad Ainge is finally trying to restructure the team instead band aiding it for 3 more years.

Lots of things can change in 3 years, especially with the way the nba is run now. Most coaches dont stay in one place for too long, get over it

20. Pringles

Pringles Member

Doc River is overrated. He was lucky he had a great assistant.

1 person likes this.