1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas liberals shamefully protest Perry's measures to safeguard women's health

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/831/billtext/pdf/SB00005I.pdf

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I want to say of the 75ish abortion clinics in Texas, only 4 or 5 would meet the new standard.

Basically, the rule would shut down almost every clinic in the US.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

How can I keep this bill dead? Who do I write?

5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I understand that, but does it actually say "it will be shut down", or do they have a grace period before they have to meet the standards? What are the standards? Is it that ridiculous?

Basically what I'm asking is, is the bill a completely disingenuous attempt to shut down clinics or is there some merit to the clinics meeting surgical center standards?

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Is that a confirmed fact that so many clinics would be shut down?

7. geeimsobored

That's based on the current number of clinics that would meet the standard. I do not know if there was a grace period in terms of meeting the new standard but its nearly impossible to meet surgical center standards in terms of time and money.

But I dont have an answer for KevC's question on the amount of time a clinic would have to upgrade.

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

In my post above which quotes the bill directly, it states they have until September 2014 to meet the standards.

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

But it doesn't say it'll be shut down if it doesn't meet the standards. Is September 2014 an unrealistic time frame? Is it too expensive?

10. bigtexxx

whose analysis says that?

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They have a year. Most of the planned parenthood clinics should be able to meet those standards. Planned Parenthood rolls in the profits.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What happened last night/early this morning was the definition of "By the People". One rep calls these citizens of Texas "terrorists"

[​IMG]

Dewhurst's hissy fit, calling the citizens who have the right to be there an "unruly mob", is hilarity at it's finest and just further proof that he is not fit to lead this state.

What happened was a fantastic display of democracy. Wendy Davis did a wonderful job and she should be commended. I had heard something that her twitter followers went from 20 to over 20,000 in a day. She has quickly become a potential candidate for something bigger. Some were talking about her running for governor next year. Personally, I'd like to see her take on Cornyn. She, all of a sudden, has the fund raising capability and cache to go for statewide office.

TURN TEXAS BLUE!

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

My takes:

1. I have a hard-line stance on the 20 weeks. I don't think abortion should take place after 20 weeks. The youngest premie on record was born at 21 weeks and is leading a healthy life. I believe 20 weeks is the most realistic and best attempt at drawing a line in that gray area of when a fetus turns into a baby.

2. I guess the only question is: how legit are the concerns raised in this bill to protect women? Is it just a blatant attempt to shut down abortion clinics willy nilly? Is there a benefit to having a hospital near a clinic and having surgery center standards/equipment? Is there a higher percentage of malpractice in current abortion clinics than normal surgical centers? I have heard of women having unpleasant experiences in distinctly "un-clinic like" clinics. Is the bill an honest attempt to address this issue?

I just feel like there is such an outrage over this bill because of its "anti-abortion" feeling and the fact that it's Texas. I am sick of seeing people on my news feed go "oh of course Texas would hate abortion, this must be complete b-ll****" without actually looking into the bill.

14. geeimsobored

How much do you think this costs on a yearly basis? I highly doubt clinics can meet that requirement when they aren't exactly serving the most profitable constituencies. (even with fundraising to help)

15. justtxyank

They certainly have the right to be there. However, shouting and causing a ruckus in order to disrupt the legislative process is mob behavior. You probably would feel the same way if a crowd of tea partiers had managed to prevent PPACA from being passed by shouting and throwing tantrums in the Senate and House.

16. justtxyank

I don't know, do you have figures?

Planned Parenthood had over $300 million sitting in the bank after the 2012 fiscal year. Do you think that will cover upgrades?

Now whether they choose to spend money to upgrade their clinics is another question entirely.

17. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Actually, the special WAS needed. The original call was for maps. We had to vote on new maps. They added all this other crap 2 weeks after that.

Harrisment, the centers would get over a year to make the changes. There is no proof they would have to close, that was Deuell's argument.

Leroy, they were an unruly mob. They were well behaved and respectful until about 1030, after that third point of order was sustained, they went nuts. I mean nuts. You couldn't hear a damn thing in that chamber, they refused to stop screaming, they were cursing, making threats, they were unruly.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

that rules violation for a back brace was weak play by the Texas GOP

19. bigtexxx

With scientific advances, could even younger "premies" survive in the future? What would have been the stance 100 years ago, with the available technology at that time? Where will science be in another 50 years?

History will look back in shame at the abortion era.

20. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

No, there are only 40 something that perform of 50 abortions (which was the cut off to be required to upgrade) Out of those 40 something, only 5 currently meet those standards. 35 would have to upgrade. Those 5 are in Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, and I think El Paso?? Could be wrong on the last one.