1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Pelton: Stardom no longer seems to be in the cards for Thomas Robinson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Put T-rob on The Spurs and you would have a career, solid play-off team contributor. A lot of what happens for an NBA player is the the system and context.

Here is is a young player on a playoff contender with enough young players that we needed seasoned journeymen in his minutes; as well as splitting one role between him, Motiejunas and Jones.

His story is not written.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Simply sharing what a credible commentator/basketball journalist has to say about a Rockets player. You can agree or disagree with Pelton's analysis. Some of you seem to find it more worthwhile to question a poster's motives than to discuss actual Rockets-related topics-- whether this one or a other one that you find interesting (like Dwight Howard free agency, dumping Jeremy Lin or whatever topic that seems to be posted repeatedly). Good for you, then.

Fact of the matter is that people here were declaring Robinson "a steal" in February based on a rather thin set of info. Specifically, the favorable opinion was largely based on his draft position rather than anything he actually did on the court, and his draft position was based on his junior year stats, accumulated in 1200 or so minutes, that really do not project a future on par with the typical "Top 5 picks."

As Pelton observed, the more than 1000 minutes of subpar play compare to other rookies of similar draft order in the NBA should more than put in doubt any favorable projection done based on his draft order.

Patterson is not a star player, but at least he is a useful piece unlike Robinson and can become more useful as a "spread 4" with Dwight Howard. He had a better college career than Robinson did, had a better rookie season than Robinson did, and looks to have a better capacity to learn new basketball skills than Robinson does.

Giving up Patterson may not be a "disaster" but at least it does not look like "a steal" based on the objective evidence that Pelton cited.

3. Carl Herrera

Put him on the Spurs and you likely have a guy glued to the bench before being traded or cut. They will work with you, but if you don't fit in fairly quickly, you can be gone in a flash. Jackie Butler went from $3M/Yr free agent signing to dumped in one season. Even Richard Jefferson, expensive veteran, got dumped.

#43 Carl Herrera, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  4. Rokman

Rokman Member

LOL!! Now THAT'S funny!!

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Just wanted to jump in here real quick, mention how glad I am Patterson is gone who's ceiling was about as high as Kenny Thomas'.

6. treeman

treeman Member

This is the sort of commentary I'd like to hear AFTER we trade him.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

the fact that we can turn Robinson into a draft pick (something we couldn't do with Patterson now) means that it was the right move by Morey.

8. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Agree completely. Right now, he is a potential shutdown wing defender who can rebound. Not bad for a rookie. But he needs to develop more to be a good role player.

9. Carl Herrera

What makes you think that Patterson can't be traded for a pick when his backup Morris was traded for a pick? Also, Patterson would actually have value as a Rocket particularly with Dwight on board and likely benefiting from a stretch 4.

As it stands, HOU will likely be using an asset to acquire an experienced stretch 4 for next year's roster and hoping that the guy fits.

As for Robinson, we only know what Stein heard. Lets see if it comes true and let's see how good a pick it actually is.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'm thinking Derrick Williams. What a lost soul on the court. Then he was found. The 'system' is still wrong for him, I'd think, but he started playing some decent ball as this season progressed.

TRob and Williams, to me, are pretty similar in many ways. I'll be sorry when TRob is traded but glad if the return is value adding.

I like PatPat. But, man, he is replaceable.

11. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Lol I thought my 2k was the only one with a beastie Trob, this dude gets offensive rebounds like nobody's business.

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

How would we be able to keep Patterson and get Howard? I'm not saying it's impossible but what is the scenario that you had in mind.

1 person likes this.
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

ironically, we wouldn't actually be able to offer Dwight the max if we couldn't get rid of Patterson. So the question is, can Pat fetch as much value (in terms of a draft pick) as Robinson can. If the Stein reports are true, the answer is likely NO. Patterson would not likely fetch a 1st round pick, given his contract and the limited upside. As other posters have said, he couldn't even get into the starting rotation on Sac-town.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Notice that question came from a fan from Cleveland. Fans of teams that might be in the mix to acquire him with a late 1st rounder are going to be doing their research on him to see how they feel about acquiring him.

Educated fans should realize though that he's probably much better than a player they are drafting in the late 1st round.

Typical NBA fans will probably hate the idea just because he might not be the bright shiny new toy they think they are getting with a draft pick... even in the late 1st or 2nd round... thats just how short sighted sports fans can be.

However, he's a STEAL to acquire with a late 1st or 2nd round pick in this draft... if your not preserving max cap room for a superstar that is.

I think GM's are smart enough to realize that and not get caught up in the "shiny new toy" mentality of sports fandom.

15. alethios

alethios Member

I for one, had always wanted TRob to be a success and find his niche on the Rockets. I had visions of him being a Jeff Green kind of player. He may well still turn into one, but definitely not for a couple of years - he seems to need a long development time to realize his potential.

Of the times I saw him play, he didn't understand his role on the court, nor did he seem to be in the right spot on offense or defense on a consistent basis. He almost seemed full of himself out there of the court instead of being passionate and energetic about doing the little things to help get wins. He seemed to still want to showcase his talents, but his talents got in the way of playing smart. Maybe I am misconstruing his abilities vs his IQ, but he seemed to be trying to play like a star without the vision a star player possesses.

So, I would be glad for him to land on another team that is willing to develop him and be patient while he matures. We're not that team as it would seem.

16. verysimplejason

Robinson should strive to be the next Rodman at least defensively. He has IT and he can be better because he's not a headcase.

17. Carl Herrera

There are other pieces to either trade for draft picks or salary-dump-- Motiejunas, Jones, White, and Smith. How the math works depends on the final cap figure (early leaked info said $58.5M but that number was subject to verification and/or change). Keeping Pat while getting Howard would be easier than keeping Robinson salary-wise because Patterson has a lower salary and the Rockets wouldn't be paying Honeycutt's dead money.

18. craguin

craguin Member

David Lee - 79 games, 36.8 mpg, 18.5 ppg, 11.2 rpg
    Dwight Howard - 76 games, 35.8 mpg, 17.1 ppg, 12.4 rpg
    Zach Randolph - 76 games, 34.3 mpg, 15.4 ppg, 11.2 rpg
    Kevin Love - 18 games, 34.3 mpg, 18.3 ppg, 14.0 rpg

19. Carl Herrera

1. Actually, it's pretty easy if the Rockets just get rid of the now-expendable Jeremy Lin. It may also be possible, depending how the cap #s break down, to do it by trading some combo of Motiejunas, Jones, Smith and White for draft picks.

As it stands now, trading Robinson may not get the Rockets to the cap # needed, either, and getting rid of another salary or two may still be required.

2. Patterson's contract $ is actually lower than Robinson's.

3. People keep on talking about "limited upside" but Patterson is the one who actually learned new skill (while recovering from a lingering injury) since entering the NBA. He also managed to earn minutes as a rookie under Adelman after not being in the rotation to start the season.

Robinson has demonstrated mostly an inability to learn. After playing dumb and ineffective basketball with low scoring efficiency in summer league, he continued doing so when given entitlement "development" minutes in Sacramento and right after the trade in Houston, eventually losing the coaches' trust and his rotation spot.

It is alarming that the Thomas Robinson we saw at the end of the season was more or less same guy that we saw in the summer league.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Smith's small contract would have very little impact and I believe Honeycutt's contract expired at the end of last season so he is off the books. To keep Patterson and get Howard we would likely have to move both DMo and Jones or pray that somebody was willing to take on Royce's contract which is highly unlikely. Keeping Patterson wouldn't make much sense for the Rockets even if they hadn't made the TRob trade.