1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron]RALPH SAMPSON: 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

2. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

I remember watching a clip from the Kenny Smith, OT, Horry team and they passed the ball around on a break in such a way that it was beautiful to watch. The current team is the closest thing to team ball I've seen in years if you compare it to the old school style the fundamenals are gone these days guys can't even make an entry pass half the time.

Ralph and Dream should have won at least 1 title in those days even going to the finals was a big deal with the Fakers to contend with and Boston being the power they were.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Just call moi Eruzione! ;)

4. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

I love and learn from the past but man you gotta realize we were so close to dynasty status then...oh well in time maybe we'll form another...sigh...

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bump to educate
    Mediate
    Try not to hate
    Love you mate

1 person likes this.
  6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Since you're being a troll and just bumping your own dumbass threads, I'll just repeat myself.

Nice story. Still not as good as Yao. Can't have two good seasons and be called a great.

7. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Sampson actually got us to the finals, unlike Yao. If that's not reason enough to retire his number I don't know what is. He's in the hall already. C'mon Les, do it. I wouldn't mind the same for Yao and T-Mac when they both get in as well.

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Really? All by himself, huh? Are you sure it had nothing to do with our GOAT center? Saying Sampson got the Rockets to the Finals is like saying Mario Elie got the Rockets to the Finals or Robert Horry got the Lakers to the Finals, an above average player who hit clutch shots playing with a once in generation center.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

This thread is about a rocket legend. Hakeem admires him and mentions how amazing his old teammate is.

You never saw him play, it's obvious and you don't know the story on his downfall.

Let the rockets fans who hunger for the truth feast on knowledge

10. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Comparing Sampson to Elie or Horry? Sampson was a legitimate all-star.

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Can you have two good seasons and be considered a great? To me, the fact that some people actually consider Ralph Sampson a great is insulting to the Rockets franchise who actually has a ridiculous list of great big men. This is the FREAKIN' Rockets, not the Bobcats, we don't need to scrounge and list a two year wonder as a "great".

12. tinman

Supporting Member

You never saw him play or witnessed that amazing team.

You are hell bent on not letting rockets fans enjoy one of the greatest talents in rockets history.
    The original twin towers.
    The one who hit the most famous shot in rockets history.

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Sure he was (for two Rocket seasons). Not saying he's a worse player then Horry or Elie. How could you not have an issue with someone "Ralph Sampson got us to the Finals"? Such an insult to Hakeem.

14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

All nice and heart-warming stories and fans should enjoy it by all means, just don't call him a "Rocket great". Maybe "Rocket great for two seasons", "Maker of a great Rocket memory", or "Hakeem's sidekick for two years in the mid 80's".

15. tinman

Supporting Member

What do you know about the rockets ?

16. tinman

Supporting Member

He never saw Ralph Sampson play and absolutely hates him for no reason.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Hakeem was narrating a entire documentary (in a new thread i made) about Ralph.

These are his words about his old teammate.

"Playing with Ralph was a lot of fun," Olajuwon said in an e-mail from Amman, Jordan. "He never showed me any jealousy over the position. We were a great complement to each other's game, and I believe we were way ahead of our time. I blocked so many shots because I was able to come from the weak side and behind Ralph. He gave me opportunities for tip-in dunks with his play around the rim. Those were fun years, and I only wish he would not have had the knee injuries. It was sad to see him not reach all of his potential."

18. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

Thank you

19. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

You sound bitter. Everything OK?

20. tinman

Supporting Member

i'm fine, i'm not the one is trying on a crusade against Ralph Sampson, I'm here to educate.