1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rockets plan to trade Thomas Robinson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, May 30, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

In retrospect I really wonder how close the Rockets were to getting Howard. I know that Morey at one point made a comment that he was never gutting the roster for Howard. So I suspect our offer was not as great as people think.

2. Albinoswordfish

Trading Robinson is to free up cap space. The Rockets will get almost nothing in return. Trade value is not in play here. They knew Howard would be a free agent after this season before the Patterson trade so I can't think of any logical idea why they would trade for Robinson if his contract matches something they need to free.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

T-rob for a late first is what I think we will get out of this.

Sad because I see a ton of potential in the guy, and he showed spurts that he could be a very capable player for us down the road!

People really need to stop getting their hopes up for Howard though. LA still has the upperhand.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Pretty much this. Trob gets moved so the DH12 salary is available "right away". Sign him. Then force the Clippers hand. $terling, might want a ca$h cow in Lin if he feels CP3 will leave.

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Again it comes down to just Paul and Howard wanting to both be in the rockets. Then you sign and trade Lin, Asik, and TRob to the Clippers for Paul and sign Howard outright.

It can be done folks. If Paul is truly the competitor he says he is hell realize Howard/Parsons/harden is a better core than the Clippers.

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i believe it. howard, harden and parsons def got together in LA and from what i was told it didn't sound like howard had any doubt where he was going.

1 person likes this.
  7. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Won't work.

After you trade for CP3, you won't have the cap room to sign Dwight outright. Trade must come second because we'll be over the cap with it.

1) send out T-Rob to create cap room
    2) sign Dwight
    3) trade for CP3

8. mario_v

mario_v Member

Interesting. So you're saying Howard has made up his mind? He's coming to Houston? So you're saying I should purchase my season tickets? Championship Time!

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

And now this:

Chris Paul ‘angry’ over Clippers’ portrayal of Vinny Del Negro’s departure

When everyone was talking about the Clippers winning a title this year or in the near future, I was laughing. The Clippers have had promising cores 2-3 times in the last couple of decades, but they always find a way to screw it up and end up back at the bottom again.

After all, they're the Clippers. There's a reason they've only made the playoffs 6 times in 35 years.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Well it is POSSIBLE that Harden/Paul/Howard/Parsons could all be Rockets (not likely).

I think it is less likely, because I do not know that Howard has the passion or ability to get together and work it out like LeBron and Wade did.

Still...... If I am Chris Paul, and I am getting phone calls from Harden being told that Howard is on board, and Paul can ALSO join for only a few million under the max..... I really have to think about it, especially after dealing with Sterling and immature teammates.

11. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

His value is at its highest before teams realize he's the second coming of stromile swift

12. pnr

pnr Member

If we can get both Dwight and CP3 then who will be on our bench? Will we have enough money to spend on good bench players?

13. arjun

arjun Member

cant be much worse than it was this season in the playoffs after delfino and lin went down.

14. pnr

pnr Member

True, and Morey seems to be able to find diamonds in the rough all the time.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If there is one thing Morey knows how do, that is find cheap role players. Just trust that! Also, If the Rockets get CP3+Howard with Harden, the Rockets will become more attractive to aging vets looking for a ring. That's the cache' that Miami has now.

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Again this may be true but Morey would never show his cards. His never done it in the past and he wouldn't do it now unless there was some degree of certainty he will need the space. Everything about letting it be known that TRob must be traded is bad. His valus goes down, it demoralizes the player teams question if there is a problem with him and that's why you are dumping.

I know someone else said Morey didn't announce but of course he didn't announce. The rest of the league announced and Woj got sources saying so. Maybe Woj is making this shi t up but it's more likely he's not and multiple teams got calls from Morey saying hey Trob's available for the highest bid. And now we are hearing reports that Howard and Harden are hanging out and Howard likes Asik and Parsons was with Howard and Howard hasn't said shi t to LA.

It could all be a big hoax and even if it is true that Howard has told the rockets via Harden that he is definitely signing with us, he could still change his mind. But IMO there are too many indicators making me think Howard is already committed to Houston. It's just my opinion so disagree all you want.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

just because we must trade Robinson doesn't mean we don't have leverage

depends on how many other teams want him

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

What trades would make most sense for the Rockets to unload Thomas Robinson’s contract in anticipation for Howard?

Larry Coon
    If they’re trying to create cap room, then they don’t want a player back (at least, not one with any guaranteed salary). Best thing would be to find a team with a large enough trade exception, then trade Robinson into that, with future draft considerations coming back to Houston.

Chicago has one they can’t use, Memphis has one, Orlando has one, and that’s it. No other trade exceptions are big enough.

If Houston is looking to maximize their cap space (and I think they need to), then there can’t be a player coming back. At least, not one with guaranteed salary. They’d need to do one of the following:

1. Trade him to a team with sufficient cap space (a lot easier to do after July 1).

2. Trade him to a team with a sufficient trade exception (looks like just Memphis or Orlando).

3. Trade him for a player or players with non-guaranteed salary.

I thought Sacramento would be a team that would want a guy like that, but they’re the ones who gave up on him in the first place. Go figure.

#338 J.R., May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

How much $$$ do you have that 'for only a few million under the max' means nada? How much ego must you have set aside to give up 'only a few million' X 4-years to accept that?

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Agreed. As long as Donald Sterling owns that franchise, they are and will continue to be a joke.